Xtratime Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crespo is a Lazio player
By Guglielmo Buccheri & Alessandro Cortese at © eurofootball.com

It's official: Hernan Crespo has finally become a Lazio player after months of negotiations. Lazio's chairman Sergio Cragnotti announced the signing at a press conference scheduled for Tuesday.

Parma demanded a whopping 110 billion lire (€57m) for their star.

And Lazio president, Sergio Cragnotti, was forced to sacrifice Matias Almeyda, Sergio Conceicao and cough up 35 billion lire (€18m).

The deal almost came unstuck at the last minute when Inter’s Massimo Moratti announced he was no longer interested in striker Marcelo Salas. Lazio were expecting to generate 40 billion lire (€21m) from the sale of the Chilean forward, money destined for Parma.

But the deal hinged on coach Sven Göran-Eriksson giving the go ahead for Conceicao to leave – he is set to be replaced by Dutch star Boudewijn Zenden.

So now, Lazio – the team that won everything last year - can line up four new players: Hernan Crespo, Angelo Peruzzi, Claudio Lopez and Roberto Baronio.

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I just don't get it. What was Parma thinking getting rid of their top scorer? Now what? I have an idea, let's just hand Lazio the scudetto.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I am here to publicly thank Cragnotti for giving up hopes of a title this year. In gaining Crespo, he has given away the two players on his team that gave their all game in and game out for Lazio - Almeyda and Conceicao. Crespo's a great player, but forward is perhaps the easiest position to replace on a team.

You guys will be a team to contend with this season - with your defense, Buffon, and these two players, I think you'll do well this year...at Lazio's expense.

Forza Internazionale!

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Oh, don't you worry Debs. Everything isn't what it seems to be. Last year all of us believed that Inter would be unbeatable. They finished fourth. Lazio will have to fight if they want to win again. They will have to face a superb Roma side, a rock solid Juventus, a Parma with enough depth to stand the distance, a Milan with Schevchenko and a winning mentality and an Inter anxious to prove their critics wrong. It will be a TIGHT race.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
I think we screwed Lazio, Almeyda is much better than Simeone at defensive midfielder i think, Sergio is of the best wingers + we got $ for a player who wasn't even a regular begging of last season:)

60$ is way too much!

But i don't care;)

Last year Lazio had an offense of Salas-Boksic
we would now think thats unreal to win a scuddeto with that.
But their mainstain was there midfield what is falling apart
right now: Nedved,Simeone,Veron,Zenden is really unbalanced, we togheter with Juve has the best and balanced
midfield i think!

Like Verdi said, it's like were living in a dream, all things are looking soooo good!!!

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
What did you just say Debs ?

Only Parma and Lazio's other main rivals for Lo scudetto proffits from this deal. I absolutely, sincerely mean that.
Lazio last year did not have many new players in their starting line-up. Only Veron, and he made them tick for sure. They rotated their great squad well, but they were always in trouble when Conceicao didn't play because they had noone else for the right wing position. They tried Stankovic, but he's a central midfield primarily and now they don't even have one option for that wing.
Without stability and players who know eachother you can't win. I know that the offesive triangle Crespo, Lopez and Veron knows eachother from the Argentine team, but add a new right wing player and the absence of their best defensive mid by far... It's a new team. Where do Baronio fit in ? What will Inzaghi Jr. say when he's third choice for an entire season ? - AGAIN. New teams doesn't win and that's it. That's also the reason Parma will be good, but won't win (sorry Parma fans but that's how I see it :)).
IF they go ahead and buy Zenden as everybody seems to think they may have freed Nedved to play centrally alongside Veron which would kill. But why ? Central midfield is (along with attack now) their best position as it is. They could also use Zenden at right wing which he has previously played, but that makes him an ordinary player. Putting their second best midfielder Nedved out there would also diminish his value. It just doesn't look right I think.
Moreover- IF Lazio do not win Lo scudetto this season (or CL) they will face SERIOUS trouble finacially. It's a company now, and you can't show bad accounts every year when you're a public company.

I believe Cragnotti picked up a shotgun today and said to Sven Göran: "Hey- why don't I shoot myself in the foot" :).
Obviously I'm not saying Lazio wont be a challenger next season. Their offence is breathtaking, they have one of the best keepers around now and Nesta is absolutely, horribly good. I just think they could have acted SO much smarter for alot less money. Back up wingbacks anyone ? They don't have 1 (Favalli-Gottardi :)) and Negro-Pancaro aren't that good to begin with. No right wing, and Miha in line for the starting line-up :).
Can Simeone have another magic season ? Is Sensini getting too old ?
Loads and loads of questions. Their main man is involved in a suspcious looking trial along with the President and Veron has also been the subject of alot of bad media since Lo scudetto- throwing doubts over his affections for the club. They have 5 (not 1-2 or 3) but 5 Argentine starters (Sensini played against England at Wembley at least while Crespo is not really a starter but he will be), and what about the South American qualifiers. Where are Lazio without the Argentines ?

Honestly Debs- Do you think Parma made a bad deal ?

Ciao.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Glen,

When we picked up on this deal originally, we posted Parma's possible lineup for the next season. Obviously, there were many new faces. I said that Parma fans will begin the season with unrealistic hopes. New players take time to learn the system, and Malesani has a VERY specific system. Amoroso then agreed that the beginning will be a little rough, but it's the end that matters.

I think that enough of our defense remains which will keep us competitive in early matches even if our midfield fail to click. Eventually, though, I think these players are very complementary and should pose quite a formidable attack after the first 8-10 games or so... especially if Parma land Milosevic, who is awesome.

Realistically, Parma may not be the best team, but I think a top three finish is what most of us are hoping for. I wouldn't mind reclaiming the UEFA Cup either.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
This was the ideal year for changes.The season will begin at Octomber.We have no players going to the Olympics apart from Montano and Bolano so the rest of the team will stay here and work together.Malesani will be able to play s many friendlies as he wants,and on top of that we'll play around 4 UEFA Cup games against some fishermen sides but still official games.I dont know if they will clinch imediately but Malesani has the best team Parma ever had.Its up to him to put them together and he certainly has the time to do it.

What I want is a SERIUS challenge for the Scudetto.I dont really mind if we loose our hopes at the final game or two games before but I dont want to see us out of the race 4 games after Christmas.

Lets see the roster being completed.We basically know who will come.Milosevic and Jorgensen or Overmars (a long shot) and maybe one more defender.Personally I prefer Jorgensen over Overmars because he can defend and would fit better at the 3-4-1-2 Malesani likes.

Moreover,next year we wont have to worry about injuries,we have enough cover for every place.Sure some players like Micoud,Amoroso and Thuram will be tough to be replaced but we at least have decent subs.This is a perfeclty balanced team created by the Tanzis and Malesani.If things work out we'll se great things.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Honestly guys, how many goals do you think we will concede?

With our defence unchanged from last year and a top defensive midfielder in Almeyda I think we will challenge Juve as the best defence.

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
Steve and AMO; I agree. Parma has done formiddably well in the market this season. I still do not think you'll be ready for Lo scudetto though, but as I've said on more than one occasion you'll be the biggest worry for Lazio and Juve.
Inter is another big question, but it's SO impossible to speculate how they'll do.
Lazio is explosive we know. Juventus is the same as last year, but with new cover players who has made us the least vulnerable side there is in world clubfootball injurywise (we have quality cover for every single spot provided we get another left midfield) + our transfer campaign hasn't exactly ended yet either.
I'm not downsizing Parma- but I believe 2001-2002 will be a better bet for you guys (though competition will obviously be tough then as well).

Ciao.

·
Registered
13,659 Posts
Hmmm... I hope you don't consider Pesotto a quality player... :)

Sure, if Zidane and Davids can keep their motivation up and be healthy you will be hard to beat. However, I have my doubts over Del Piero's ability to score. And who will be his partner?

The thing is, you guys had a LOT of luck last year winning countless games by 1-0. I'm not so sure you'll be able to do that this year. I think it's unfair of you to forget Roma. And just because nobody talks about them I'm sure Milan will win it... :( I think anyone of these 6 teams are in with a chance. I would like to divide them into three tiers.

1st tier: Lazio and Juventus
2nd tier: Parma and Roma
3rd tier: Inter and Milan

·
Registered
22,168 Posts
VERDI; True- Roma could make thier mark, and signing Zebina the other day proved they're working on depth too.
I still see them failing in the latter stages though.

Pessotto IS a quality player- he's just not good enough to be a starter in our midfield. He's very versatile, and as a defensive solution he is great. A true proffessional. He is a GREAT substitute :).

Apart from thinking Inter will be in Roma's position I completely agree with your strenght pairings.

On Juve- Sure we were lucky at times, but the only problem was that we couldn't score for some reason. Del Piero and Inzaghi missed LOADS and LOADS of chances last season, and I can't imagine seing so few goals from us again next season while our defence seems even more reliable than last year. I'm sure we'll be in it for real, but obviously we'll need to start scoring more.

Ciao.

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
You know what? Roma will fail.Not because they dont have players,they have made absolutely fantastic transfers and they have great players BUT they did the mistake Inter has been doing for the past years.Some players who were important starters last year will now have to be subs.Some of them who were subs or occasional starters last year will now have to beack ups.PLUS their defence doesnt seem convincing in comparison wityh the other big team defences.Parma and Juve d not just throw thier players on the bench because they bought someone better.Sure this year Dino and Vanoli will be subs,but with this kind of years they dont expect abnything better thermselfs.While at Roma,Nakata,one of the most expensive trasnfer of their history,Montella,their best scorer last year will be subs,Tommasi their utility man and occasional starter last year now at the bench,Di Francesco also on the bench,Mangoni their starting defender last year will not even have the chacne to fight for his position.These players will WHINE and complain.A calm dressing room is the most important thing.Cappello is a great coach but can he put these players calmly out of the spotlight? I doubt this...

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Finally well have a great team for win scudetto:

BUFFON
CANNAVARO-THURAM-YEPES(?)
CONCEICAO-ALMEYDA-BOGHOSSIAN-VANOLI(JORGENSEN or OVERMARS)
MICOUD
AMOROSO-DIVAIO(MILOSEVIC or ANGEL)

ALL LOOKS COOL¡

Im agree whit you Amoroso:
WIf we get great wingers as Fuser, Conceicao and Jorgensen or Overmars they would fit better at the 3-4-1-2

1 - 18 of 18 Posts