Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No mention of conspiracy theories, no discussion thread about how a team lost on purpose to allow a 'friendly' club achieve their goals. The only results left open on the final day were regarding the Europa spot, and:::

Milan with 2 reds and a possibly unjust penalty going AGAINST them. No real controversy in the Parma-Livorno or the Fiorentina-Torino game. Fiorentina didn't roll over and allow Torino to win, even though some fans in attendance were heard chanting that they want Torino in Europe during the game.

If Torino had won, there would be plenty of talk about how Fiorentina let them win. If Torino and Parma both fell short, and Milan took 6th, you can bet the conspiracy talk would be all over the place.

But when the results don't fit the conspiracy models, everyone is silent. This doesn't absolve the league from past indiscretions, nor does it mean these types of things haven't happened. Just wanted to give a voice to this side, and give some credit to the league, it's players, and all those involved.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Torino also had a goal somewhat controversially disallowed, so you can't pin this on the referee favoring Torino. Are you really stating that a single dive costs all credibility?

·
Banned
9,221 Posts
Berlu probably didnt think it was worth the risk to rig these games just so milan potentially could be in the EL.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Even amongst supporters of the league, any opportunity to take a shot at it's credibility is taken. Even when that opportunity is someone pointing out that there isn't one. Hard to see any growth involving new fans.

·
Registered
15,670 Posts
No mention of conspiracy theories, no discussion thread about how a team lost on purpose to allow a 'friendly' club achieve their goals. The only results left open on the final day were regarding the Europa spot, and:::

Milan with 2 reds and a possibly unjust penalty going AGAINST them. No real controversy in the Parma-Livorno or the Fiorentina-Torino game. Fiorentina didn't roll over and allow Torino to win, even though some fans in attendance were heard chanting that they want Torino in Europe during the game.

If Torino had won, there would be plenty of talk about how Fiorentina let them win. If Torino and Parma both fell short, and Milan took 6th, you can bet the conspiracy talk would be all over the place.

But when the results don't fit the conspiracy models, everyone is silent. This doesn't absolve the league from past indiscretions, nor does it mean these types of things haven't happened. Just wanted to give a voice to this side, and give some credit to the league, it's players, and all those involved.
You mustve missed the blantant handball that Parma was denied.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You mustve missed the blantant handball that Parma was denied.
I admit I didn't watch the Parma-Livorno match, but I haven't seen any thread relating to controversial calls. I also read through the entire match thread (which you are a part of) and didn't see one mention of this incident.

Apparently a missed call, with no effect on the result, is only a contoversy or consipiracy in Italy.

·
Registered
648 Posts

The best thing about the last two rounds is that the teams did what is considered normal in the other big leagues and was unexpected and unusual for serie A.
Those who follow serie A, or the betting men, know that when a serie A team needs points in the last rounds, while the opponent doesn't, the team in need wins the points and the opponent just rolls over. At least most of the times it happens like this.
Well, it didn't happen this time. Atalanta gave their all and beat Milan. Fiorentina played their best players and gave their all against Torino. None of them needed the points, while Milan and Torino lost on the EL due to these results.

One might say that not much was at stake, so noone bothered to fix the results. But I am not talking about foul play. I'm talking about mentality. Even without any fixing or lobbying, the team that didn't need the points used to simply give up, not care, give less than 50% of its abilities, or the coach would give a chance to the B squad. It's something which wasn't happening often in England, for example, but was a characteristic of the Italian teams. Just take a look at the Italian teams in CL or EL in the last decade(s), when they didn't need the points in the last group round. Or the Italian NT in friendlies. That was the mentality - don't waste energy, don't risk injury, don't run when you don't have to.
Now Atalanta and Fiorentina did the opposite and we can hope that this is the start of such fair play, not just an exception.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No.

That's not what I'm saying at all.

In fact, I have no idea what you're talking about.
Sorry that I misunderstood you're comment. I thought you were stating that 'dark forces' were involved in allowing Torino an opportunity with the PK. Or that the dive was equal to any other type of cheating, (i.e. fixed games).

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
Fiorentina almost always been the losing side of this controversial or conspiracy theories.

I can proudly say i support a club with dignity

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Until Torino also get denied one because Milan is the next spot so let's have them in EL :howler:

Poor Parma. From what I understand they have paid up when ordered to do so.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sevilla finished 9th and were awarded the Europa spot after Malaga and Rayo Vallecano were both disqualified. Malaga by UEFA, and Rayo by the Spanish Football Federation.

That being said, if Torino is now DQ'ed for whatever reason, I'll take it all back and get onboard with the conspiracies.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
1 - 20 of 48 Posts