Xtratime Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
26 May 2002

Lazio president Sergio Cragnotti has told Italy defender Alessandro Nesta to stop worrying about his future and concentrate on the World Cup.

Nesta demanded that the club resolved his future before he few to Japan this week amid claims that Lazio were in talks with Serie A rivals Juventus. He also accused the Lazio board of not wanting to keep him.

But Cragnotti has told the Biancazzurri's captain to stop making trouble by raising the issue of his future in the media.

"There are no offers in for him," he said. "Nobody is selling or buying right now. Everybody has to balance their budgets and that's why the first priority is to find money.

"Nesta is our player and until now is not on the market. If he wants to leave he just has to tell us that."

Cragnotti, however, did not rule out a Nesta move if the right circumstances arose.

"I'm not differentiating between players," he said. "If I have to sell someone, I will do it. If someone asks me for Nesta, I will open talks."

Last week, Nesta said: "I'm bored of hearing my name involved each day in the transfer market.

"They (Lazio) can do what they want, but it must be done before the World Cup. I want to leave for Japan with a clear idea about my future."

Juventus are reportedly leading the chase for the Italy defender who struggled during a disappointing season with the club he has supported since he was a boy.

Internazionale also remain in the hunt for Nesta and club president Massimo Moratti would be willing to offer Italy centre back Marco Materazzi plus cash to get their man.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nesta bans transfer talk from Italy camp
26th May 2002

Alessandro Nesta admitted on Sunday that he is fed up with the transfer rumours dogging his World Cup preparations and has agreed to Lazio chief Sergio Cragnotti's demands for the subject to be closed.

"I don't want to hear any more about it," he said. "I must keep my full concentration.

"My physical condition is excellent and I feel good, but it's impossible not to feel a little nervous out here, especially when I keep getting asked about the transfer situation."

Nesta earlier claimed he wanted his future resolved before flying to Japan, amid claims that Lazio were in talks with Serie A rivals Juventus. He also accused Cragnotti of not wanting to keep him.

But the Lazio president insists there are no offers on the table for his central defender and Nesta now hopes the matter can rest.

The 26-year-old added that hopes to be a star performer at this year's finals after his France 98 campaign was cut short by injury.

"This time the World Cup is my competition," he declared. "In France I was too young and I got too worked up.

"Later on I got the injury during the third match against Austria and that World Cup ended suddenly for me. Fabio Cannavaro was also still young and my position was slightly different. Now I am ready to make a big impact."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts