Xtratime Community banner

Cragnotti destroys Serie A!?

1K views 40 replies 18 participants last post by  flarg 
#1 ·
This is my opinion from an OBJECTIVE VIEW!!!

Its hard for me to say it like this, I think alot of what I will write, wont be the way I want to say it..but bare with me on this one..and read carefully.,.,.,.,.,

Serie A needs to be and stay competitive, right?

The way Cragnotti deals now, thats not reasonable, he spends sooooooo much money, it just isnt fun anymore.
We are destined to win it!

With a team we can have, and might having, all the competition might be gone, yes, of course, we would have a great team..but..this isnt my opinion of winning a title, we dont need to win it with, in this case, only MONEY!!

Ok, now you will say, you need money nowadays..ok, but..though how much I hate saying it..Juve spends the money so wisely...they buy what they need! they dont go for status or what you want to call it...

The tension and excitement of the matches will slighty go away..cause you know we will win it....

~~This year was great, when we won Lo Scudetto, it was a race with Juve, and surprisingly enough, WE won it!!
Wasnt that BEAUTIFUL, or what?~~

And to already buy players for next season..I dont know...its very clever of course..but not the way it should be done..

All the clubs would stand no chance what so ever..with everything Cragnotti is doing...

Still...I am happy with what Cragnotti has done for Lazio, dont think I aint..we will have a fantastic team....others can only dream about....I am very happy!!! :)

Ok, This is something I wanted to tell, I know..I will get ALOT of replies on this one, but...think about what I wrote, not in a Lazio way..but try it in an objective way, just like I wrote this..and dont just judge me for writing this...please, someone convince me I am wrong, and so that I can say NO to the question of this topic..

Grazie,

Its fantastic to be a Lazio fan these years!

See less See more
#2 ·
I dont think that is right. Other teams are not spending the amount of money Lazio are because they choose not to. Contrary to whatever people may believe, Lazio are not the richest club under the sun and could quite easily be outspent by Inter, Juve and Milan. The difference is that, now that Lazio are floated on the stockmarket, they need to win to survive. Coming second or third and having a good cup run is simply not enough, the market will punish you if you fail to win. So, what is Cragnotti doing, simply trying to guarantee sucess. The problem I see with it is twofold, what happens if he doesnt win the Champions League and the Scudetto, with the scudeto being less important than the Champions League. It's taken a hell of an investment for Lazio to put together the great team they have, so if these guys cant deliver, it'll take something even more spectacular next summer to keep investor confidence. Second, how does this affect the guys at the club. I feel really sorry for Salas, Almeyda and Conceicao. How must it feel to know the club is willing to trade you when you seemingly have done so well. I suppose it's like being sold but still, will the guys at the club now be wondering if they might be part of the next deal to bring a better player to the club.

Other clubs can take advantage of this. Parma already have. Cragnotti talked about what he wanted, i.e Crespo, before he had bought him, so Parma just think, fine, we're gonna screw you and there's not much you can do about it, I mean seriously £13m, Almeyda and Conceicao, thats a joke. Now he wants Figo, so Barca will probably demand he pays the release clause. That's not too good of a situation to be in. At the end of the day, football is 11 men against 11 and no matter what team you have on paper, it's no guarantee of anything, once you get out onto the pitch, it's a lottery. Lazio have done well to put themselves in such a strong position, but as with most things in life, the bigger they are the harder they fall. Lazio simply must win the Champions League this season, I doubt even the scudetto is enough to sustain the spending habit Lazio now have. So, it'll be an interesting season.

#3 ·
Sorry, i haven't read any of your posts due to the fact they were too long!
I only read the first lines written by Michel.
You said: "Serie A needs to be and stay competitive, right?"
Technically. What does Cragnotti cares? he wants the Schudette!
He WANTS Lazio to do be dominante team in Italy and in The world.
Who doesn't?! Moratti, Tanzi, Rossi, Berlusconni, they all want that their team will be unbeatable. Only Cragnotti can make it happen.

Besides, we all know Lazio will not win 34 Matches. There will be some draws, some losses, but lazio will be ranked 1st. :D

I don't care if the gap between us and 2nd placed will be 50 points, i really don't! I want the Treble next year! And we can do it!

FORZA LAZIO!

BTW, he's building Lazio for the future:
Zenden, Carini, Pesaresi, Baronio, Crespo, Claudio, Fiore, Giannichedda.
These players are set to be Lazio's centre in 2001\2 and 2002\3.
Cragnotti is the smartest president alive!

P.S. Congratulate me! I'm a player now! I have 100 Posts! :D

hehe

[Edited by Laziali All The Way! on 14-07-2000 at 04:35]

#4 ·
Michel, don't worry. Like Tapi says, it's 11 against 11 and the team who got the best fighting spirit and can actually function like a team will win. That does NOT have to be the team that looks best on the paper, even though it very well could be. Cragnotti doesn't buy players anymore, he buy NAMES to please the stock market. That could prove to be fatal. Saying that I still think he's got a point by buying mainly argentine players who know eachother from the national team. But then again, that might keep them from blending with the rest of the squad...

Seriously now. I don't think Lazio's team, or even less so, their squad look superior to that of Roma, Inter and Juventus. It's just that you guys here overrate your players and underrate other players. Take Tacchinardi at Juve. Right now he's better than Baronio and Stankovich. To me Juventus are the favourites to win Lo Scudetto. Take a good look at your city rivals Roma too. Their attack scare me more than yours. Totti, Montella and Batistuta is one hell of an attack. Their midfield and defence are also spectacular. We all know about Inter's squad too. And if this wasn't enough competition for you there's still Milan and Parma.

And to you "Laziali All The Way!". You're just a kid so I won't call you an id!ot or something. But, if you don't even know the lineup of the other teams, how can you be sure of success? To me you're nothing but a bandwagon kid. I won't take sh!t from you because I simply don't care what you write... Ok? :)

#5 ·
OK. I know that Cragnotti has bought some of the greatest football players in the world today (and not to mention some of the future talents). There's nothing wrong with that. Really. It's a very good way to start a new season. But guys, remember what happened to Inter last season? Moratti had what people would say "The Dream Team" back then, with Vieri, Ronaldo, Panucci, Seedorf, Zanetti, and the list went on... They were EXPECTED to be succesful. But what really happened was that they flunked. They were far from being succesful (translation : far from scudetto). It was pretty sad, wasn't it?

I don't want that to happen to Lazio. They were great last season. The players were actually bounding together. They were solid. And now they have to see some of the good players they were working with go to other clubs, replaced by some new players. Now they have to learn to adapt with the new players - it's like doing everything all from the start again!

I don't think Cragnotti destroyed the whole Serie A, though. There are still so many good players out there, so it's still gonna be competitive. If there's anything Cragnotti destroys, it would be the players' faith and commitment to the club.

#6 ·
Verdi you brought up a good point there :)
Im also starting to think that i don't like this new look Lazio of just buying big names!! But i will just have to cope because Lazio will always be my team :)

And what may happen is too many big name players dont always fit into a team!! And Last season juve and lazio were good as a team but can we same the same about Laziofor this season :confused:
I also dont think that Lazio will run away with the title!!
Well anyway i still love Lazio like always and expet much for this season :)

FORZALAZIO!

#7 ·
What Cragnotti certainly ruines are the prices.Imagine player tomorrow who will have to ask Lucarelli from Lecce,how much will he have to pay?

As Cragnotti once said,everyone is for sale t the right price.Well,Crespo right price was a record,Crag payed it,if he goes out there and pay 30 million pounds for Cannavaro (thats 40 million $ people) the market will go mad.Frankly,I believe that if Cragnotti had booked a very good defender like Laursen with 6 million pounds for next summer he would accept a 30 million pounds bid for Nesta...a profit of 24 million pounds is extremelly much to deny.If Cragnotti makes a habbit of these bids,the mercato will go wild.

#8 ·
Michel,
as someone wrote, in football you play 11 against 11 (except when you play against Milan or Juve :) ) !
And I think you have missed the transfer season of the other teams... because how can you say that Lazio will win easily every game.
Have you seen that roma has bought Batistuta (the best attacker in Italy the past years), Emerson (were we able to stop him when we played against Leverkusen ? no !), Samuel (Argentinean national team defender). They also have Candela, Cafu on the wings... and they still have totti, Montella and Delvecchio.

Inter have kept the best players and bought some young players who wants to win. A player like Farinos for example, is he bad ? NO !

Parma has bought some players (Almeyda and Conceicao just to name few of them so you can understand how great buys they have made). Juve have bought a striker (the first the have in the team, which means that next season they will have someone who is able to score).

Cragnotti wants his team to be competitive. He is not destroying anything !
Maybe you notice the buys Cragnotti is doing more than the other teams, but if fx Milan had bought Zenden, would you say that it was a fantastic buy ?? I don't think so, but since he is joining Lazio and you look at the Lazio forum, you see that many thinks he is great (I think too that he is really good, but not like Conceicao). In this case Parma got a great wing player, Lazio got one who is not as good as the one Parma has.

Is Lazio so much better than the other teams?
Cragnotti has bought a couple of players that are going to be in the starting eleven, the rest are used for the rotation system.

FORZALAZIO !!

http://Laziomania.socceralliance.com

#9 ·
Mattias, please, dont think I havent followed the transfers..I know (almost) everything!!!!

The difference between us, and other teams are, we do it EVERY season since we have bought Vieri, we keep spending soooooooo much money, like its normal! Its not normal, its MADNESS!!
Why would we do it every season? Is Cragnotti still not satisfied with what we hav got? I know, he wants us to be the best, but to do it like this..we need to keep our team solid, and not change it each and every year! Some minor changes..thats what we need...and thats what he said he will do..and neglected...
we needed
-a goalie
-a defender
-a striker
Like Menul mentioned: it's like doing everything all from the start again!
Thats not the way to make a team!

I will say it again, Juve is smart with their buys, almost no NAMES, but needed players that fit in the team.

We have now bought players for next season, great players, really looking forward to see them in our team!!

Like I said, Almeyda made the right decision to leave Lazio, you can think about his behaviour the way you want to think about it, but he wants to play whenever he can. And that is pure class!
Ok, we will have to play soooo many matches, but then again..to keep great players benched..it demotivates and destroys the soccer, by not letting them play! Agree?

We have to win, just like Tapi says, or else.....

2 of my friends said this:
''With the ****load of money pumped into your team, Lazio has to win it, if they dont, Lazio will look stupid.
And if you win, money took you there, thats all Lazio consists about, nothing more, nothing less..Lazio has ruined the soccer, and the players with that..''

Remember, these are their words..but you have to give them some credit..although they are Juve-fans, it makes some sense..

About everybody who replied so far...I agree with alot said, especially with Tapi's comments.

Big names in a team, on paper, they look invincible, but yes, they also need to play as a team on the pitch..and with alot of stars in one team..it could cause some effort and trouble..though, the Argentinian players, they already know eachother, which is great of course, also, if Figo will come, everybody knows he is a worker aswell.
We will see how it evolves this season!!

Laziali all the way: you said only Cragnotti can make his team unbeatable? you are kidding right? you think Ac Milan and Inter, Juve cant do it!? Sure they can, Inter has tried it many times..failed each and every time!
I just hope it wont happen to us this time..and that the magic will be on the field, as much as it is on paper now!

G
#10 ·
Hm, this discussion seems to be a bit folly. I agree with Mattias: Lazio is building a great team, but so is our competitors. Nothing is certain regarding the upcoming season.

I would also like to express some support for Tapis view - the investments Lazio has done in recent years has to be protected in some way, and winning an Italian double one year is simply not enough. We have to come up with something really special the next couple of years, before we can say we have made any really good deals.

Finally an answer to AMOROSO!s thoughts about Crag making the prices on the player market going mad: you're wrong, Amo. I won't defend the amounts were talking, concerning for example the Crespo transfer. But on the other hand: no one can make me defend any big-transfer amounts in recent years. Crag is but a brick in a bigger and very ugly game, where prices is being raised every single day. It has been this way for a couple of years now, and it will probably go on until the expanding TV market is being pumped full. Several new transfer records are set every year: when Ronaldo went to Inter, that was a record. When Vieri went to Lazio, that was a record. When he moved on to Inter, a new record was set. We've got a couple of Man U-deals: when dutch J Staam moved to Manchester, a defender record was set. I guess a goalie record was set when Barthez joined the same club. And now Berlusconi seems to be out to set a new record in a possible Beckham transfer (according to swedish media), while rumours has been coming and going about new defender record involving Nesta. Maybe some of my examples is incorrect, but I hope you get my idea.

Hey man - Crags bids are a symptom of a sick society, not a cause of the sickness. But... maybe this ain't an excuse? I'm not sure myself.

G
#11 ·
agree !

hi !

Hello i'm niks from Indonesia, by the way it's so surprise to read your message 'cause i also have thought it for a long time. I don't understand why Craggnoti must buy new players for midfielders, i think what Lazio has for now it's more than enough they have veron, almeyda, conceicao who was great in euro 2000, stankovich, simeone and many more. I 'm afraid if craggnoti just collects the players but they're not useful just like happened in Inter.
It's not over Craggnoti has a plan to buy many strikers, what for ? Salas and Lopez are good. But I really dissapointed when Craggnoti sold Vieri to Inter 'cause Salas and vieri were really great. Many pers in my country wrote that Craggnoti just think about money and money, it is include with his plan this season to sell nesta, is he crazy ? Nesta is the symbol for Lazio !
I hope Craggnoti will consider what the fans say !!
FORZA LAZIO !!!!!!

NIKS - INDONESIA

#12 ·
I've been a Lazio fan for a while now(16 years is a while for me) and we have never been the dominating team of the Serie a, it's almost always been Milan or Juve. If these player purchases make us 'invincible' then great, why shouldn't we dominate for once, the only other time we were like we are now in my years as a Lazio fan was in '92(the days of the great signori).
Having said that, the money Cragnotti is spending is too much, Fiore and Figo are top players but why do we need them if we have if we have Veron? Instead of buying more forwards and mids get a good goalkeeper( sorry but i can't stand peruzzi).
But for now I hope Cragnotti stops where he is because if we don't win, we will be laughed at like I laughed at Inter for the last 2 seasons.

#13 ·
i already posted a topic on this one in the transfer-forum. my view on it is clear. lazio doesn't destroy the serie a 'cause trust me you won't win it this year. the kind of luck you had the last day of this season, won't come back again.

lazio is destroying football though. ou only can play with 11, all the other have to sit on the bench. not only is this a waste of talent (i think lazio should be punished for wasting a diamont as stankovic), but also your rotating-system does not work. it destroys the automatisms a team has and needs.

lazio spends an awfull lot of money. the results and definitely the beauty and quality of your play is bad (in comparison to the spending). this season you will see: lazio is nothing more than the next inter!

G
#14 ·
This is getting silly...Lazio destoys serie A? Cragnotti destroys transfer market? Serie A not beeing interesting anymore?

Common that is just plain stupid. How can you blame a man who tries to build the best team ever? How can you blame a man who is spending all that money to bring us scudetto?

This goes for all fans. All presidents are trying to do the same thing.

How much has Roma spent this year?
Parma has 112 midfielders in the team. :)
Inter has since last year only stars in their team
Milan is gonna come with "bomba" (beckham, figo, or rivaldo)
Juve in the only team staying low...but not that low, they are spending money as well

Everybody is trying to build a dream-team. Don´t blaim Cragnotti for beiing in front of the others. Admire him instead...

FORZA LAZIO

#15 ·
Perhaps it's right, perhaps not. I personally don't really like what's happening at the moment either, but that's just me.
Anyway, let's all respect eachother's opinion, instead of calling it plain stupid.
And Emir, I think having admiration for the guy is a bit too much to ask for from us. You can love his actions as much as you like, but please, don't expect us to do the same. Accept the fact that some others (me and Michel for instance) respect him, but have our doubts and criticize his policy at the same time every once in a while.

#16 ·
Emir, I said OBJECTIVELY!!!

Serie A spends alot of money, thats a fact, but Cragnotti is topping them all!!

All presidents are trying to do the same thing? Really? They all spend money like Cragnotti??
I think we need to look at what is really needed in the team, and work on that, instead of waist soooooo much money, while in fact, it isnt really needed, is it?

They maybe need to keep up with what Cragnotti is doing.
Of course, they all want their team to be the best, but, we seem to change it so drastically every year, why?
He buys away players from every club, ok, but he doesnt leave a chance for other teams to compete.
No, we cant see this, cause we are Laziali, but like I said..try look at it rationally!!

Of course I respect Cragnotti, he wants Lazio to be the best!!

#17 ·
I would have to go with verdi on this one.
Having all the players by name(and talent) does not mean the team will fit from the begining..Other teams can surley benifit from this to play around them..
The whole money deal, i see could actually hurt lazio in the future;

Many teams such as Roma/Parma/INTER/Milan/Juve and i would not count out some of the the other clubs (Napoli/Udinese/Lecce/ etc.
These teams seemed to have added to strength not changing their entire team and should be able to compensated against a team that will have holes all over the field because the team still has to adjust playing together:

G
#18 ·
Yes Michel they ALL spend as much money as Cragnotti. Maybe not this week, but if you look at the past months/years they do. Cragnotti had a great-spending week, that´s all. Look at the time before, Inter, Mi*an, Roma...

Anyway, you are complaining about Cragnotti spending money. You can´t win titles with money, you win it with players.

I never heard any Mi*an fan complaining because Berlusconi is spending money when they bought sheva. No Inter fan complained in them spending money when they bought Seedorf. Parma fans were desperate in asking Tanzi to spend some money, now they are happy. Roma-fans were happy for Batistuta, allthought he costs a small fortune
Inter...do I need to mention them? :) Only Lazio-fans are soooo worried about money.

Look at it from the brigth side. The money spent on those players will pay off. Think about our stocks, merchandising, TV-rights, tickets etc. Imagine how many Lazio-shirts with Crespo or Claudio on the back will be sold around the world. Money is not a problem, not for a top-teams in Serie A.

FORZA LAZIO

P.S. Why was Nakata wanted by Man U? His skills? Can somebody give me the answer?

#19 ·
Michel; It's good to see some Lazio fans pondering the consequences of Cragnotti's latest transfer bonanzas.
Having said that I think it's overdramatized. Lazio hasn't really bought that many players. If you take a look at Italian-soccer.com's transfer table at http://www.italian-soccer.com/9900/seriea/00sutr.shtml You'll see that Lazio really hasn't bough that many players for this season compared to Inter, Milan, Roma, Juve and Parma. What is a fact however (no matter what you say Emir :)) is that Lazio is by far the biggest player in the market concerning $ spent.
Cragnotti is going for the instant succes model (like Roma)and for that he's bringing in star starters whereas most other teams tries to complete the squads they have allready. In my opinion Lazio will LOOK unbeatable for next season if you get a natural right wing (using nedved there is just simply a shame) and a reliable defender who can play both wing-backs (like Torricelli).
This is provided that Nesta does not get injured for a long time again, because you DO have an absolutely staggering offence while I think Almeyda's absence and the apparent lack of defensive cover could prove lethal for you in case of injuries and suspensions.
When I say unbeatable it's obviously implied that these players will have to gell together. The Argentines know eachother from the national team, and Peruzzi won't take long to get accustumed to the primarily Italian defence I'm sure, but it's still not the same as having spent a lot of time together in the club.
Moreover- the twist and turns of fate will have a lot to say as well, as all the big teams (I doubt Milan though) apart from Fiorentina looks to be having great teams for next seasons campaign. It certainly won't be a pushover.

Just one ounce of malice to end this post. I have always liked Lazio and it used to be my second team in Italy, but when I start liking a team I look for team identity as well. Considering that Salas might very well leave, Conceicao and Almeyda are certain to- and that all 3 of them loved Lazio and are great players (Almeyda hated the squad rotation thing, but has always liked club and city), I can't help feeling that Cragnotti is more like a CM3 manager than an actual president of a scudetto winning footabll club. His methods might prevail again next season, but if we look at Lazio's propable starting line-up Crespo, Lopez, Zenden and Peruzzi will be brand new. Great players for sure, but how many years in a row will Lazio fans accept to see their hero's go ? Next season it seems Giannichedda and Fiore are booked. Normally when teams book the service of other players it's to get their hands on young- relatively unproven players so that they can develop. Cassano is the example with Juve. Alex and Laursen with Parma, Inter and Milan we all know with Pirlo, Ventola, Kallon, Commandini, Vanucchi, Ambrosini before them etc. etc. Is Cragnotti allready signalling an overhaul now ?
Giannichedda and Fiore are players for the first team- they have the age to play regularly and some of your midfield starters will certainly be sold to make way for a new Italian connexion. My point is that I would be furious if Juve sold dedicated and competent players to overpay on other stars. Yes- some times you sell a star and that can be for the better, but my point is that Almeyda, Salas and Conceicao were all starters last season when they were injury free. Along with Nesta, Veron and Nedved I would suspect that they we also among the most loved players with the fans.

It can bring the results you look for, but I just feel Cragnotti is giving new meaning to the sentence: "The club is always bigger than the player". That's very true, but the fans identify with the players too, and I think it signals lack of fan respect when you alter the starting line-up so much.

Anyway- I STILL believe we will get you next season :).

Ciao.

#22 ·
Michel,
As Eriksson said. He is happy that Cragnotti is changing those players who are not creating the way Lazio plays. He is changing players who are around them, like Conceicao. This means that Lazio can play just like last season, but instead of Conceicao on the wing, we will see Zenden.

"And if you win, money took you there, thats all Lazio consists about, nothing more, nothing less.."
If we win I will be very happy that Lazio only consists of money, because that will mean that our money won. The others' money (because they are also just money, nothing more, nothing less) did not win !

As Il Toro says, some years ago we had to play a playoff game to not relegate to Serie C ! We are at the top of everything now thanks to one man SERGIO CRAGNOTTI !

Finally Michel, I don't know if you feel this way but to me it looks like you do. You prefer to support the team that is not small, but it shouldn't either be too big. And to buy too many great players is not good because it makes you too strong. I get this impression, I am sorry if I am wrong ! :)

gOD, will all the respect for your incompetents. "also your rotating-system does not work", are you trying to be funny ?

Glen, I can assure you that as long as Lazio win. The fans won't complain about their favorite players leaving. :)

Then I would like to compare Lazio's buys with Juve's, according to me ! (looking at how known the names are, since some thinks Lazio is only buying Names).

Baronio could be said is the same as Zanchi !
Zenden like O'Neil !
Colonnese and Pesaresi like Paramatti (but Paramattis is better than both of them together...) !
Claudio Lopez like Trezeguet !

So to me it looks like Lazio has got two players more than Juve, Peruzzi and Crespo !
And can anyone say that we were not in need of a new keeper and a new striker ? I don't think so !

And now I have compared Lazio to the team that probably has spend less money than any other top team (maybe together with Milan).

Has Cragnotti bought so much ? I don't think so...he just bought us the necessary ! :)

FORZALAZIO e CRAGNOTTI !!

#23 ·
Cragnotti's moves for Crespo,Colonnese and Peruzzi were great,no matter the cost.I also understand the "booking" of Giannichedda because next year Sensini and Simeone probably needs replacement.What I dont understand is why the hell he got Fiore...where will Fiore play? left wing? no,Nedved rules there,play-maker? Veron...right wing? he cant,defencive midfielder? what is Baronio for...there is absolutely no place in the team for Fiore.And still he buys him! you know why he got Fiore? so the others cant get him...moreover he buys Zenden for the right wing.Zenden is not a right winger and he will never be,whenever he played right wing he sucked.He will also cut the way to Deki Stankovic.Another going-to-be-wasted talent.Stankovic doesnt get enough playing time at his natural position because of Veron,he also never played at the wing because of Conceicao,now that Conceicao left Crag goes out there and buys Zenden.And next year,he will also buy Fiore so Stankovic wont even be Veron's back up...next year you'll have tow wasted players in Fiore and Deki.They'll just sit on the bench and play in cup games.If you dont like Deki and you cant use him Mr Cragnotti simply sell him,such talets are wanted everywhere.

Cragnotti's problem is that he starts getting greedy,and that was proved when he signed Fiore.Lazio will soon start look like Real with players bought as starters,play half a year and then stay on the bench for 3 years before they get sold in small clubs.Like Real did with Karembeu and Baljic.

#24 ·
Emir,
you said this:

''Anyway, you are complaining about Cragnotti spending money. You can´t win titles with money, you win it with players.''

Isnt this a bit contradicting (and ''double-said'')?
We had the players already in the team we needed, why spend more money, while the talented Stankovic will, as it looks like, be more of a bench-sitter now when Zenden (and Figo?) will come to Rome?

Glen,
your post makes sense to me aswell, especially about the identity-part! So true!

Mattias,
What exactly do you mean with your first paragraph?

And of course, I also agree with what Il Toro mentioned, but I just think Cragnotti is spending his money too much, he needs to keep some of it in his (gold?) piggy-bank. :)

When you dont need to spend it, then just dont!!
You dont need to change your team year in year out that much! I will say it again, you need to work and build on the team you have now, and have trust in it!! It looks like Cragnotti hasnt got any or not that much trust in it, hence the buying and changing it alot..ok, not trust in it is kinda overreacted, but I hope you know what I try to get at...

And about what you think of me, about that supporting thing, you might be right, but not totally, it might have got to do with the fact, that suddenly Lazio is one of the biggest clubs in the world, and I have to get used to it..
and this is different for a fan who all of a sudden got to be a Laziale, for any reason that is, know what I mean?

And yes, I am not a fan of ALL these big names in a team, if Rivaldo, Figo and for all I care, Beckham will also join us, I wouldnt be happy!! I just dont like it..
Its so much nicer to make the players you have already to stars, so other clubs look up to them and want them, like for instance Nedved and Nesta, thats whay I like, and maybe, if he gets a chance, Deki aswell!

And Amo's post makes sense aswell, dont say that he is wrong about that!
But who knows who Cragnotti will sell next season, perhaps it will be Veron...

Anyways, dont think I hate/dislike Cragnotti, that makes no sense at all, I respect him for what he did, and making us Laziali very proud now, of what we feel and have!

#25 ·
No-one can deny that Lazio are going to be a super-squad, it's clear for all to see. However, as with most things in life, the higher the reward, the greater the risk. If Lazio feel as though they need to buy a whole bunch of great players, be it so that no-one else can have them or because they feel they need them, then turnover may be high. This season Almeyda was unhappy with things, and I don't doubt that someone else will voice their displeasure. It's just the way things are, the players want to play, and they'll leave if thats what it takes. I'm not saying its 100% certain, but with the line up of players available to Eriksson, someone will miss out because there are key positions which are not usually rotated as much as others. Also, imagine if Crespo starts scoring a bucketload, will he be rotated for the sake of it. Whenever the whole Baronio, Inzaghi etc etc story comes up, i.e, when will they ever play, people are quick to say that the Arentine contingent are going away, so they will play. Well, it's not so much when they are away you should be concerned about, it's when they come back. Say Baronio has done exceptionally well, and Inzaghi has proved to be a goalscoring machine, is it reasonable to assume then that Veron/Simeone/Sensini and Crespo/Lopez will warm the bench happily? Salas has to leave, the situation he is in is unenable for him and for Lazio. I'm really impressed with the way Cragnotti has bought all the great players, Milan used to do it and we conquered Europe. I do feel that things have changes slightly nowadays though, there are a lot more teams that players would be happy playing for and feel they can do well. I mean, 10 years ago, Milan would have had to only sniff in Thuram's direction and he would have been running to the San Siro, now things are different, he is more than happy to reject Milan and stay at Parma. Basically, stockpiling players has worked in the past, whether it can work again remains to be seen. The only thing I worry about with Lazio is that they are not in private hands anymore and the market reacts badly to any hint of trouble. So Cragnotti and Eriksson have a double job on their hands, win the Champions League and keep everyone happy while you do it because things can change real quick and you might find yourself having to sell players rather than buy them.

#26 ·
Amoroso, come on !
I thought you had understood that long time ago ! Fiore and Giannichedda are going to replace Sensini and Veron. Sensini is for sure going to a minor club and Veron is going to move to whoever makes the highest bid (not this season though, that's why Fiore won't come untill 2001-02) !!

Michel,
What I mean in the first paragraph is that players like Veron, Nedved, Nesta, Mihajlovic (Eriksson just loves him) are still in the team. they play in the middle of the field and the play is build around these players in Eriksson's formation. If you change these players you have to get them to understand how Eriksson want them to play. The players around them can be changed, because with great players in the middle of the field it's not that important who plays on fx the right !

Tapi, you are right that some players don't like to sit on the bench. But these players are professional and since Eriksson last season proved to EVERYONE that the rotation system is something that works, the players will listen to him (and I am not the one making this up, players has said so themselves). And if Lazio (hopefully) is going to play many games in CL, it means two games in one week. This means that Eriksson can change 7-11 players from game to game. This way all the stars get the chance to play without getting extremely tired !

FORZALAZIO !!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.