Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This for betting purposes as some bookmakers give odds on nations top scorer at the tournament.

Who are the most lethal strikers for each country and who will start? Also a possible surprise top scorer for countries if possible?

·
Registered
42,475 Posts
Okazaki is Japan's most reliable striker, sometimes he's used out wide though with Kakitani or Osako deployed up top. Honda is another frequent scorer for the NT. As for 'surprise top scorer' - well a lot of viewers wouldn't know a lot about Yuya Osako, but he's got a very good goal scorers instinct, I wouldn't be surprised if he had a good tournament. He only recently transferred to a European club [1860 Munich] and is doing well, he's expected to transfer to a top flight club. 1860 as a whole are performing wretchedly however.

Sadly for Australia, Tim Cahill still looks like our best bet. I guess given how tough our group is, for us to have any goal scorers at all would be a huge surprise :D

·
Registered
68,886 Posts
For Croatia I would still say Mandzukic despite him missing the opener, its not likely Croatia will score that game anyway. After him then its Olic and Eduardo, Eduardo is a better finisher but Olic will probably play more. As for surprises, can't really think of one, Srna scores quite a bit despite being a right back as he takes free kicks and penalty kicks but a long shot for top scorer.

For USA I will say Dempsey unless Altidore has some turn around playing for the NT rather than Sunderland. Dempsey is on really good form in the MLS. Surprise is Aron Johannsson, I don't think he will start matches but surely he will come off the bench. If Altidore continues to struggle in the pre-WC friendlies he may start. Problem is USA are playing three very good teams so goals may not come in plenty

For BiH its clearly Dzeko and Ibisevic who scored 60% of BiH's goals in qualifying. Dzeko had 10, Ibesevic 8. They will depend on those two pretty much, so I can't say there really being a surprise but I think Misimovic takes the penalty kicks and free kicks

·
Registered
7,488 Posts
Iran use to have a recent problem with strikers up until now. Goochannejhad is an amazing striker, he has solid dribbling abilities, good pace, good vision, anticipation, and poaching abilities. He's a complete striker and ever since he's joined the team he's made the most of any opportunities he gets, even if they are few against better sides considering we don't have any top central midfielders quite yet. So expect the results to translate even if it means very few goals if any at all at the World Cup.

For surprise goal scorer I will go with Alireza Jahanbakhsh. Maybe some people would have anticipated Dejagah, but the thing is a lot of international players are familiar with Dejagah as an experienced midfielder. He's been around and they know what the guy is capable of on better nights, so they'll be marking him well and prevent him from getting too close to the box. So don't expect him to get much space to work with at all or even any attempts on goal unless they were from corners.

Jahanbaksh on the other hand is a pretty skinny dude with a small frame, sometimes gets frustrated by bigger midfielders and defenders, but the thing is he's not afraid to cut inside the center and just go for attempts himself. Compared to Dejagah he likes to take a lot more shots and some of the attempts haven't been too bad recently. He also has some good link-up plays and finds himself in those situations a lot more often recently compared to Dejagah. Considering he's a guy whose striving to move to a bigger club (his club is potentially facing relegation), there's a higher chance he might end becoming a bit more selfish than some of our other regular starters, so it won't surprise me if he manages to become our top scorer with like 2 goals or something.

·
Registered
42,475 Posts
That's a good point shiaben. At the 2010 WC people were expecting a lot from Pienaar but he was quite subdued for South Africa and people were talking about more "unheralded" players like Tshabalala and Gaxa.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the posts so far. Keep them coming please :)

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Dzeko definitely for BiH, already our top goalscorer in history and bagged in 10 in the qualifiers. Potential surprise could be Salihovic (via set pieces). Although, Misimovic has taken them during the qualifiers, Salihovic has been on fire this year with set pieces (and is honestly our best free kick taker despite Miske/Pjanic shooting them more, recently) and might take them at the WC.

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Rickie Lambert to score all 2 of England's WC 2014 goals

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So until now (aside cam's sarcastic post)

Japan - Okazaki (suprise: Osako)
Australia - Cahill (no goalscorer :D)
Croatia - Mandzukic (Srna)
USA - Dempsey (Johansson)
Bosnia Dzeko (Pjanic)
Iran - Goochannejhad (Jahanbaksh)
Mexico - Peralta
Holland - RVP (Robben)

·
Administrator
24,775 Posts
Portugal: Cristiano Ronaldo (cant see it any other way)

·
Administrator
24,775 Posts
hardly deano...we dont have a strong striker, so i can see a couple players scoring a goal, but not enough to make them the top scorer of the team

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,319 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts