Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Look:

1Allfour are undoubtly four the mot outstanding people in history of Portugal (I am quite interested in biogrphies, frankly not only football players but I do not know rather other Portuguese)

2We could say Eusebio is like Magellan in that story. Althoug Magellan in fact did not finished his travel (the rest of crew finished thatcirculation because of Magellan lost with Lapu Lapu at the Philipines) thenMagellan has been epic figure forbeing milestone. Same with Eusebio! Althoug Eusebio did not win 1966FIFA World Cup then he forever will be epic figure. He introduced Portugal to World Class Football. He beome best goalscorer on the World Cup while having debut team on the shoulders and yet during the same season he become best goalscorer of Champions League when he won it first time for Portuguese club. Somethign like that is incredibly rarely and can not happen in next centuries for any country.

@Inácio Please discuss it. Iwould like to you something also tell about fact that Eusebio emigrated from Mozambique and about fact that actually Magellan was part of Spanish exploration although was Portugese

·
Registered
49,701 Posts
this is now, in 2022. In five centuries no one will remember the football players of this and the previous century because they have not done something worth being remembered. They have created nothing, invented nothing, discovered nothing, conquered nothing...
Of all the gladiators just the ones who fought against Roma in the Third Servile War are remembered. In Italy (and elsewhere) there was a sport called pallone col bracciale with sferisteri (sort of stadiums) and champions (pricks in many cases) who were similar to the champions (and pricks) of football nowadays and it lasted for centuries with its variants but almost no one in Italy even knows that pallone col bracciale existed.

·
Registered
64,271 Posts
Magellan played for Spain btw

#traitor

• Haha
Reactions: TTM

·
Registered
64,271 Posts
my line-up:

------------------------------------------------------Luís Vaz de Camões -------------------------------------

Pedro Álvares Cabral ------ Nuno Gonçalves ------ João de Barros --------- Diogo Gomes

Bartolomeu Dias ------- Vasco da Gama (c) -------- Diogo Cão ----- Pedro Nunes--------

----------------- Afonso de Albuquerque ------- Fernão Mendes Pinto -----------------

bench: João Gonçalves Zargo, Pero da Covilhã, Tristão Vaz Teixeira, Gaspar de Lemos, Gil Eanes

treinador: Dom Henrique

Reactions: Andy Christ

·
Registered
64,271 Posts
^ needless to say, they would beat "Spain" on any given day 10-1 or more, even with traitors like Cristóvão Colombo and Fernão de Magalhães playing for them

just look at who their treinador would be, Isabel la Católica LMAO

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
this is now, in 2022. In five centuries no one will remember the football players of this and the previous century because they have not done something worth being remembered. They have created nothing, invented nothing, discovered nothing, conquered nothing...
Of all the gladiators just the ones who fought against Roma in the Third Servile War are remembered. In Italy (and elsewhere) there was a sport called pallone col bracciale with sferisteri (sort of stadiums) and champions (pricks in many cases) who were similar to the champions (and pricks) of football nowadays and it lasted for centuries with its variants but almost no one in Italy even knows that pallone col bracciale existed.
Good comprasion but BTW BTW.... What do you think about Wikipedia community's consensus that among 50 000 the most important articles there are more sportspeople than explorers and among 1200 sportspeople there are only 5 ancient sportspeople and premajority of modern? Are you sure Pele for Brazil will be faster forgotten than Brazilian "one of the coinventors" of airplane? I am one of editors of those list (BTW I created mostly this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikip..._figures#Association_football_(110/110_quota) ) and what do you think abot those lsit, at least whqt do you think about quota for all sportpeople and about my choice for "110 footballers from plnty countries"? I would like specially ask you and @szövkap as I noted you both have some knowlage about history (Szovakap, great line up, similar to https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Philosophers'_Football_Match)

·
Registered
49,701 Posts
Are you sure Pele for Brazil will be faster forgotten than Brazilian "one of the coinventors" of airplane?
I could not tell you about Santos-Dumont, but I know for sure that in five centuries Pelé and maybe football itself, the way we know it, will be forgotten while it is almost certain that people will go on studying Magellano and Vasco da Gama, whose memory has already survived five centuries.

·
Registered
64,271 Posts
I am pretty sure though that the explorers, scientists and geniuses will be forgotten in 5 centuries, probably cancelled even. human foci players probably too. the new heroes will be something like the robot successors of what is today instagramm influencers, youtubers, twitterers. if there's still foci, robots will play it and watch it.

·
Registered
18,187 Posts
My robot overlords won't give a **** about football in 500 years szov. They'll be playing some AI game yet to be invented :D

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
they'll be playing foci with human heads as balls
That was already years ago in England in XVII entury. I think Maradona's "Hand of God" will be remembered like Zeus nowdays. Although on the other hand influence of Greek Mythology is immnese (Deus in Portoguese mean God and yes, it is related to Greek language, perhaps same with Krishna/Christ). Football will survive long time, obviously not so long time like religion forever but long time :)

·
Registered
64,271 Posts
That was already years ago in England in XVII entury. I think Maradona's "Hand of God" will be remembered like Zeus nowdays. Although on the other hand influence of Greek Mythology is immnese (Deus in Portoguese mean God and yes, it is related to Greek language, perhaps same with Krishna/Christ). Football will survive long time, obviously not so long time like religion forever but long time :)
the Aztecs played such even earlier (pre-colombian era). anywhom, the point was, in the future it's robots/AI who will play with us because that's the only thing they'll need us for. :(

#hal9000

·
1st Tier Poster
53,666 Posts
It's hard to predict how long will people like Messi and Pele be remembered. If there's a cultural continuity without any major disasters/disruptions then they could be famous even 500 years from now.

Babe Ruth is a well known name in US culture even though his heydays were nearly 100 years ago... as long as they play baseball, his name will be known.

But it's really pretty much impossible to imagine what the world will be like in 200 years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts