Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
... this summer where there will be no Inter player representing the Azzuri at a major tournament? The only player who has a chance of making the squad is Materazzi and whether he should go to the WC is questionable. Does anybody know whether this has ever occurred before? I know there's been a lot of discussion about our lack of Italians etc. but if this really does happen i think it will be of considerable embarassment to the club, and deservedly so.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts

Always the same discussion.

Maybe we don't deliver an italian to the world cup but we do deliver a dozen of players for this major tournament, so who cares if there's no italian between them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Reco said:

Always the same discussion.

Maybe we don't deliver an italian to the world cup but we do deliver a dozen of players for this major tournament, so who cares if there's no italian between them.
That's an easy comment to make but bear in mind that Inter are (allegedly) an Italian side playing in the Italian league. I'm sure a lot of Azzuri fans care that one of their top sides is producing absolutely no Italian players and therefore making no contribution to the national team.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Yes an Inter fan from Belgium can make these comments, but ask those who live in Italy how they feel. A Roma team who has half its team from the capital itself is only like 7 pts behind you man. You would think inter are buying the scudetto, but they are not, they are buying 3rd place year after year!

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Dejan Stankovic is one of the Azzurri fan favorites. Nationality doesn't matter, color doesn't matter, race doesn't matter.

Adriano is THE fan favorite.

·
Registered
6,429 Posts
In Belgium there is a similar case with a club called Beveren...

They fielded a team once with 11 players of the Ivory-Coast. But they played good and entertaining football! So what's to complain about?

In my opinion Inter is also playing good football (with moments) and like Capone said, nationality doesn't matter. As long as they are loyal to the club I'm loyal to them.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I dont care about foreigners so much. I just mean you need some good Italians in the squad anyway simpy just because Italy and Italians in general are great at football... not only South Americans. I mean surely there are better Italian LB's than Wome who flopped at every club like Roma and Fulham already!

·
Registered
6,089 Posts
I used to say "who gives a ****", but I see that this is one symptom of the dysfunctions of our team. We buy the wrong players very often. And perhaps this is one symptom of the problem

·
Registered
57,707 Posts
Deano said:
I just mean you need some good Italians in the squad anyway simpy just because Italy and Italians in general are great at football... not only South Americans.
South Americans are better though and more enjoyable to watch. ;) :tongue:

*roma/totti will be here any moment now*

but if you guys can hand over Totti I doubt anyone here would complain. ;)

Deano said:
I mean surely there are better Italian LB's than Wome who flopped at every club like Roma and Fulham already!
Errmm...

Wome is playing only because our starting left-back, who happens to be ITALIAN :eekani: , is injured.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Yes but thats what I mean, Im not asking for you to replace your great players, but some Italians on the bench and maybe 1 or 2 of the world class (near world class) bunch would be great. I mean there are many good Italians out there but you prefer the south americans... what have you won with them? South Americans are great at footie no doubt but certain Italians can give you that steal to remain consistent. The away games at the parma's, Reggina's etc... these are when some Italians are needed.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I stated that in another topic but basically, Maresca, Miccoli, Esposito, Moretti, Iaquinta plus Toldo and Materazzi and Favalli of course... not necessarily as starters... if I remember I had only 2 Italians starting, but more just to give the squad more Italian feel and I think its better to have them than Cesar, Wome, Martins, Cruz anyway.

·
First Place winner, January 2009 Photo Contest
4,108 Posts
I would like to see some more European players, not neccesarily Italian, but European. South American's have skill and flash but sometimes you need to get down in the trenches, get dirty and slug out the win.

If an Italian or South American player fits this mold great, but in general I'm a big fan of skilled, direct and hardworking players such as Stankovic, Zambrotta, Ballack, Gerrard etc.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Deano said:
I stated that in another topic but basically, Maresca, Miccoli, Esposito, Moretti, Iaquinta plus Toldo and Materazzi and Favalli of course... not necessarily as starters... if I remember I had only 2 Italians starting, but more just to give the squad more Italian feel and I think its better to have them than Cesar, Wome, Martins, Cruz anyway.
Your list is pretty shady man, why the hell should inter buy players as you say that are only going to go on the bench? It is an embarassment to them and their family that they are in line behind a player of different nationality in an italian club team. That is why CZ is on his way out. Now to analyze your list.

Maresca - good player could possibly be an option if Veron/Pizarro leave

Miccoli - pass

Esposito - maybe but right now he would be the back up to Figo

Moretti - pass if we wanted a backup italian LB we could recall Pasquale from Parma

Iaquinta - also pass, might be a decent option but i dont see him playing to well next to Adriano

As for the players you want to see leave Ceasr is on loan and if he gets signed will be a squad player so i dont really care about him too much. I agree with you on Wome whole heartedly, the man has just got to go, thank you for soiling the Inter shirt the exit is that way -->
As for Martins the guy is a fan favourite and grew up through the youth system, he is the role model for all the youth players that if they play their cards right even they can make it to the first team. No reason to let him go just develop him a bit better so that he has better football knowledge rather than just trying to run everywhere with the ball at his feet. Cruz again a squad player who accepts his position on the bench and does very well when he comes off it, no need to give him the boot.

Other players that I would like see leave the team:

Kily - adds nothing either him or Cesar need to leave

Miha - retire or just take up a coaching position, time for Andreolli to take your place

Favalli - your time has expired my friend time to join a mid table Serie A club

Ze Maria - has not done much of anything this season, bye

Players I would like to see come in: (the italians only, for your benefit)

Maresca - like i said before

De Rossi - posted my reasons in another thread, suffice to say fantastic player, would complement Cambiasso very well.

Tavano - Nice simple goalscorer with dribbling capabilities, his ability to play with Adri would be my only problem

Camo - If he leaves the Gobbi like it is rumoured I would welcome him with open arms

Pasqual - has been really good for Fiorentina and if we can snatch half his contract away from little Arezzo with a nice sum of money and a few youth players on loan would be really great. Get a good LB is my greatest concern so I think money should be ploughed into getting a competent one that knows how to play in the league.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Moretti is the best Italian LB around apart from Zambrotta, I hate the fact that no one sees this! Possibly not from an offensive side but he is such a great defender! Pasqual is surely great with Toni, so if Inter buy Pasqual they must buy a direct goalscoring with the head striker and not Adriano who isnt this.

Iaquina is a hard working direct striker, I dont see the problem as he is what Inter miss at the moment. He may not bang in 25 goals a season but he can create other problems, plus I would say only as back-up and hes going Roma anyway.

You will not get De Rossi

Tavano is great, so if you get him great.

Why not Miccoli? He was just as good as revelation as Tavano at Perugia and is the same age, plus Miccoli is a great player if believed in as Benfica fans will say.

Esposito I suggested only as back-up.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Yes but our fans love De Rossi and De Rossi loves the club. hes the next Totti. He will remain at Roma as long as we are a great side!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Deano said:
Moretti is the best Italian LB around apart from Zambrotta, I hate the fact that no one sees this! Possibly not from an offensive side but he is such a great defender! Pasqual is surely great with Toni, so if Inter buy Pasqual they must buy a direct goalscoring with the head striker and not Adriano who isnt this.

You will not get De Rossi
Moretti the second best italian LB behind Zambro are you kidding me??

Italian LB list:

Zambrotta (by a wide margin)
Grosso
Chiellini
Pasqual
Moretti (maybe i dont watch enough of the mid table teams to see their LBs and rate them)

As for De Rossi I know it is a dream signing but sometimes dream do come true.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The one point raised which i feel is the essence of all this is that we have players like Wome, Ze Maria etc. who are of no use to the club, yet we have spent money on them when our Italian reserves would probably be just as good. Personally i'd love to see Andreolli getting his chance next season and i'd also recall Pasquale from his loan, he can't be any worse than Wome. Does anybody know where Beati has disappeared to, he looked as though he could have been a contender for at least a place in the squad a season or two ago. I always wonder why we have youth teams full of Italians year in year out yet they all just seem to disappear into thin air when the time comes for them to step up a grade.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts