Xtratime Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
like Greece in Euro 2004 and Turkey in World Cup 2002 mantain their teams' form and keep winning?
What do u guys think about this?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Astute said:
like Greece in Euro 2004 and Turkey in World Cup 2002 mantain their teams' form and keep winning?
What do u guys think about this?
Turkey didn't even qualify for Euro 2004 after their "meteoric rise" in the previous world cup. and Greece may not even qualify for the next world cup themselves after taking Europe "by storm" so recently. It takes time, that's all i can say.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts
No, Turkey has already slipped and Greece is in the process of doing so.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Greece NT players' average age is quite old, I think......
Just like Turkey in 2002.
That could be the reason why they slipped...........

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Astute said:
Greece NT players' average age is quite old, I think......
Just like Turkey in 2002.
That could be the reason why they slipped...........
which means they'll need a new generation to come through and take their place. if a team of old, average players manages to exceed expectations then you can think of it as them putting their experience to work for them, coupled with a good dose of underestimation on the part of their opponents.

going from nowhere to being a superpower, however, takes decades, not one surprise result. but Turkey have been working at it for a long time now, so it's inevitable that they will progress.

Population wise, Turkey is destined to become the biggest country in Europe behind Russia shortly. with increased exposure to hard competitions and plenty of talented young players to build teams from, i'd say of course they can achieve big things in the future.

Greece is a bit different though, as it is much smaller, not really growing at all, and has been on the European football scene for a such a long time now with little to show for it. With all respect to Greece i'd say Euro2004 was more or less of a flash in the pan, and i think they will struggle to remain consistently competitive.

·
Registered
607 Posts
one offs i think, i wouldn't mind greece doing well, but i dont think think they will do much anytime soon, turkey have a few good players here and there so who knows, these things happen and it very rarely lasts for long.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts