Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suppose we can say more afte the Cameroon game, but I think its a very good idea of Lippi. Even when using a back 3, you can use several methods above them in the attack, but focusing purely on a back 3. I think its a decent way to protect the obvious ageing Cannavaro. Maybe Cannavaro could even do good in the formation as the central defender with help from 2 flanking him which can be Chiellini and whomever else. Would like to see how Bonucci does in this match, although I wouldnt mind seeing Bonera given a test too. Would ave been awesome for Nesta to return. That would be a nice back 3.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also should Totti return, instead of 3-4-3 we can play 3-4-1-2 or 3-5-1-1

----------Bonucci----Cannavaro---Chiellini

---Maggio------De Rossi------Pirlo--------Criscito

-----------------------Cossu

----------------ST------------Totti

or

------------Bonucci-----Cannavaro-----Chiellini

--Maggio----De Rossi------Pirlo------Marchisio-----Criscito

--------------------------Totti

--------------------------ST

·
Registered
46,168 Posts
What is funny is that Lippi is thinking about the 3-man defense now, when we are just 3 months before the world cup.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I suppose he has to do something as we can not win the World Cup with the previous formula

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
The 3-man defence is too confusing. There is no point to playing it. In some cases we can say it protects Cannavaro, in others when there are only 3 players defending, it exposes him... etc..

The wings get destroyed

·
Registered
160 Posts
If Nesta returns, the three-man defense is best. In the end I truly believe he will bow to the pressure and return to the NT. In my opinion it is our only chance of defending the title.

Even though Canna is past his prime he has always played well for the Azzurri and has always found it easy to play with Nesta. Using wingers like Santon and Grosso would allow for more versatility in the three-man defence. Grosso is excellent at going forward and can stay back if he has to and I believe Santon will shine this WC if given half a chance. Also, it is time for Balo to get a chance.......he would link up well with Totti for his last hurrah.

My starting 11 (3-4-1-2):

------------------Buffon--------------

Nesta------------Canna----------Chiellini

Santon-----De Rossi------Pirlo----Grosso

----------------Totti--------------------

--------Pazzini----------------Balotelli

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
with maldini cannavaro and nesta, 3-man defence in 2002 seemed like the best idea but we didn't get any convincing results

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We didn't play a back 3 in world cup 02

·
Registered
160 Posts
If my memory serves me correct, I believe the last time we played with a three-man defence was under Zoff in EURO 2000. Only a referee that added way to much stoppage time and a couple of unfortunate DP misses prevented us from winnning that tournament.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We played a back 3 for qualifying to WC 02 and with great results. Trap bottled it just before WC 02 and changed to a more defensive 4-4-1-1. There was bad luck at WC 02 but Trap should regret that change in formation.

·
Registered
34,454 Posts
Its interesting idea. Nesta--Canna--Chiellini wouldnt be a bad defense. Wingbacks can push forward more often, Camo is injury prone and Italy needs to add some spice from the wings.

But it does have its risks, as Italy hasnt played 3 at the back for ages. But test out now, rather than in WC.

Then again, Nesta will, as always somehow get injured or suspended when the WC starts, and we will have to play 4 at the back :D

·
Registered
17,131 Posts
All our defencemen are slow and are bad with the ball, don't see the 3-man defence being very fluid like at Genoa.

People stop mentioning Nesta, he has said no once for all.

·
Registered
10,868 Posts
Well it does not hurt to try and test it out just in case we have to apply it in a certain game during the World Cup. OF course maybe we need to perfect our 4 man defense but being able to adapt on the field is what won them the WC last time.

·
Registered
45,032 Posts
If my memory serves me correct, I believe the last time we played with a three-man defence was under Zoff in EURO 2000. Only a referee that added way to much stoppage time and a couple of unfortunate DP misses prevented us from winnning that tournament.
LOL at Del Piero's misses being "unfortunate". He had two great chances (one more so than the other) to completely kill the match...and he totally bottled them. What was unfortunate was Wiltord, of all people, scoring a goal that Toldo was saved if his view wasn't blocked by Nesta (who got skipped over Wiltord's shot)

The stoppage time didn't prevent Italy from winning either. It was the "let's celebrate before the final whistle even with time added on and even though we're only one goal up" attitude that did. That and a show of brilliance by Pires. Great goal by Trezeguet, obviously, but that goal was all about Pires, imo.

·
Registered
4,250 Posts
The stoppage time didn't prevent Italy from winning either. It was the "let's celebrate before the final whistle even with time added on and even though we're only one goal up" attitude that did
Payback was a bitch eh? World Cup or Euro? Hmmmm.....I think that lose motivated the side, even though very few players played in both.

·
Registered
45,032 Posts
Payback was a bitch eh? World Cup or Euro? Hmmmm.....I think that lose motivated the side, even though very few players played in both.
Not sure if it was proper payback, since France had previously beaten Italy in on the way to winning WC 1998 as well as beating them in Euro 2000 to be both World and European Champions at once. And I don't know if the Euro 2000 encounter motivated the side - France v Italy was bound to be a huge match anyway, especially given how well a lot the players knew each other for a decade or so (things aren't the same nowadays with even less French players playing in Italy). The important thing for Italy was that they won the WC with the bonus of beating worthy opponent in the Final (cf. Germany in WC 2002 and Greece in Euro 2004). Wouldn't read much more into it than that.

Buffon (who didn't play the Final in Euro 2000) and Cannavaro were great as usual (Canna went downhill after that though, while Matrix became played his best football the following season). Totti was carrying an injury so he couldn't give his full contribution like he did before - it was his brilliance that led to the goal in Euro 2000.

Pretty sure I didn't see the French team celebrating when they weren't a goal up though. :undecide: OR the Italian NT, this time around...but they weren't winning at the time either. As for Trezeguet, he didn't seem to care too much from WC 2002 onwards. So totally different circumstances, without even talking about the Zidane headbutt. :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts