Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
9 versus 9
I am starting to play intramural soccer in one week. The game is made up of 8 players and a goalie. What formation should we use and what kind of roles would the players have?

I was thinking a 3-3-2. There would be a SW, 2 DB's, 1 Defensive Mid, 2 attacking wingers, and 2 forwards.

Like this:

-------------------------------Gk
----------------------------Sweeper
-------------Defender-----------------Defender
-------------------------Defensive Mid
Winger --------------------------------------------- Winger
--------------Forward ----------------Forward

Or should I do this:

--------------------------------Gk
-----------------------------Sweeper
------------------Defender-------------Defender
---------------------------Defensive Mid
Winger -------------Center Attackign Mid -------------Winger
------------------------------Striker

What should I play?

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
----------defender-------defender-----------defender--------
--wingback----------------------------------wingback----
----------------midfielder-----midfielder-------------------
-------------------------forward-.-------------------------------

eheh here's mine!

·
Fine Gentlemen
15,599 Posts
----------------------- Goalkeeper --------------------

--------- Defender --- Defender --- Defender --------

------------------ Defensive Midfielder ---------------

Midielder ---------------------------------- Midfielder

----------------- Attacking Midfielder ----------------

------------------------- Striker -----------------------

The gap in the middle might look like you are exposed but...if the DM and AM do their job of anchoring back and forth...it works out.

My school team played a similar formation only one striker more and the added defender. :)

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
GaGa said:
----------------------- Goalkeeper --------------------

--------- Defender --- Defender --- Defender --------

------------------ Defensive Midfielder ---------------

Midielder ---------------------------------- Midfielder

----------------- Attacking Midfielder ----------------

------------------------- Striker -----------------------

The gap in the middle might look like you are exposed but...if the DM and AM do their job of anchoring back and forth...it works out.

My school team played a similar formation only one striker more and the added defender. :)
Thanks a lot. I appreciate your sugggestions. The first suggestions seems kind of defensive for amateur football, isn't it?

But your is kind of like my second one except that the defenders play in a line with no real sweeper and the midfielders are less advanced. Thanks once again.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Handoyo said:
Give us some more details. What's the position of the star player(s)??? What's the size of the pitch you'll be playing??? ;)
agree

first of all, tell us what kinda players are available.

which position's players can play in the particular positions are which position's players are good....

so and so....

;)

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well we got about 12 people on our team. The pitch is about the size of half a normal field. The width is about 3/4 of a normal field. The halves are 20 min each. We don't have an experienced goalie yet, we are still trying to find one. Most likely we will have to put someone in that spot that doesn't really know how to play and so that position is up in the air.

I usually play CAM for the 9 years I've played. However, I can play CM or CDM perfectly, and although a lot of people wnat to put me on the wings, I don't like it out there and I'm not as fast as others on this team. Which is surprising b/c usually I'm one of the fastest guys on any team, but our team is so fast I'm like seventh fastest maybe. I'm thinking of playing that defensive center midfield postion. I'm not that good, but I'm not poor. I'm probably the best passer on my team, however. I can't shoot for anything however.

As for our star players, we have about 4-5 guys who are all really really really fast and about 3 of them have a really powerful shot. From last year's experience, most of the teams did not cross or have a consistent possession game. It was all counterattacking and long balls. That is what we were thinking about frmaing our game around, kind of like Inter style. Because we have the guys up front who can burn any defender who is not up to speed with them. We have an experienced sweeper who is good however we don't really have any other defenders. Alll of the players usually play in attack so someone will have to play defender who does not usually do so. And that's basically it, I guess. Most of the guys are not that big and really fast and have a decent shot. We want to put the fastest guys up front in this formation, and put a big guy in the CDM position. Which means that I might end up playing one of the defender spots, prolly the right.

Does that help?

Thanks Handoyo Pravesh combo.

·
Registered
14,769 Posts
in a field that small, you prolly should emphasize on defense since every player is expected to contribute both to the offense and defense. Which means, a small field actually requires a little more running than you'd expect.

It would be good for you to play ACM since you have sprinters out there that can chase down your ball. You would prolly want to ditch quick long passes to your forward or forwards, which really depends on your players' ability to dribble.

You should play a conservative role and abandon wingers options since you mentioned that your players are kinda short. The first reason is that that there's no point to cross the ball when your forwards won't get to it. Secondly, you said that you don't have a good shot so even if the wingers cross you the ball (which would prolly be outside the box), you wouldn't be able to score from that distance.

Another thing, minimize your dribbling in the beginning of the game and focus on your passing; when the opponents this, they wouldn't expect you to emerge to attack and so they will most likely to fall back to defend the faster strikers (they always do that since they know that they will lose your pacy FW), as they back down, you attack them and be prepared to be confronted by a defender or midfielder, at that time, locate your open striker.

You should also have a forward that plays a supporting role in case when you are marked, you can do a 1-2 with him or even let him take a shot (you said they have good shots so...shooting is a good way to test out your oponent).

Always remember to tell everyone to attack AND defend in such a small field. Midfield wins the game in a field that size and HUSSLE HUSSLE HUSSLE!

That's about all i can think of now, hope it's helpful.

:D

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot El Presidente. I appreciate your hints and helpful suggestions. One question, though, what formation would you promote with those tactics that you outlined?

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Well, since the width of the pitch is small, I suggest that you play with 3 defenders. No need for wingbacks. If they attack from the right, ask the RCB to go right and LCB to move center, vice versa.

Since you got 3 star players who shoots very hard, use 2 strikers. And since all of you lot are fast sons of b!tches, try to play a counter-attack game. Use 2 defensive midfielders. They should be disciplined and not attack too much IMO. Suck up the attack when they got it, pass it to you (Since you claim to be the best passer ;) and launch that killer pass to set your strikers free.

Make the opponent feel confident that they can score against you so that they're kinda distracted and take it easy on the defence. Trick them. ;) IMO the key players will be your defenders. Everytime I played football in a reduced size pitch, the team who has the best defence win. Make sure they're very disciplined.

And IMO there's no need for wingers. If you want any wing play, as the left forward to drift to the left and right forward to stay centre, vice versa. Play low crosses.

From a Champ Man point of view:
-------FW---FW-------
----------AM----------
-------DM---DM-------
-----DF---DF---DF-----
----------GK----------

Good luck and do update us on the result. ;)

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
so, since ur gk is not an experienced one, u guys will have to defend very well... thus, 3 defenders a must, i guess !

and as u said that, there are many players who are fast that might help ur team..

----------------------GK----------------------

-DEFENDER---DEFENDER---DEFENDER-

-------------------PULSAR-------------------
MIDFIELDER-----------------MIDFIELDER

-----------MIDFIELDER---------------------

----------------------STRIKER---------------

;)

·
Registered
14,769 Posts
my formation would be simliar to Handoyo and since this is 8 man soccer, there isn't that much option. However, I would prolly pull the FW near the AM role and the AM pulled a little back so he can link the play from DM to FW.

Experience is very important in a small pitch. I've mentioned long balls but i have to take it back; medium length passes are the best. Long balls would most likely to waste the energy of your strikers as it might go out of play.

In counter attack, always remember that fast FW prefer ground balls so they can maximize their sprint and just knock the ball to dribble without that split second when he has to control a midair ball. Practice your ground thru balls and see how this go with your FWs.

FWs hate having to slowdown and turn to get the ball when the pass is fall short. Avoid that

The reason why i would prefer to have a FW pulled back is because the situation of counter attack is pretty slim in small fields, you might need a good shooter to create danger when you have no space to pass.

(i'm one of those fast FW so i know what they like :D, it seems that i can only provide you with offensive suggestions.) hahahah

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
THANKS A LOT GUYS!

I quickly read over your suggestions but I'm kind of checking this in a bad time, so later tonight or tomorrow i'm goign to read it more carefully and think about it, then comment later. Thanks!

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We lost 3-1. 3 Quick goals in teh first half. We didn't have a goalie and I volunteered and sadly I sucked. The first goal he slipped it by me on the endline and it was my fault cuz I had no position in the first few minutes of teh game. Second goal, I rushed out in the box, they kciked me, went unnoticed , the ball left my fingertips, and it deflected in. Third one, our best player was was defending went up to head it in front of gaol. Wrong direction. I didn't even expect it. Then I moved to defense. SEcond half we attacked and only got a PK which we converted. Final score 3-1.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Joshua Lew said:
Group match or Knock out Stage??
Wish u still have chance!:cool:
Group match. The problem in the beginning was that I played GK and I gave up goals a normal GK would have given up only 1/3. And plus, the third one was unlucky with the bad header which this guy never does in his life. We got our tactics straight now. And I forget to mention, we were playing 8 on 9 cuz many on our team didn't show up. SO basically, I was left defense and I was having to guard the guy up top and the guy on the left who was making arun. Awful. The offside trap eased some pain, but we got little support from the strikers who decided to play it Vieri style. That also hurt us cuz when we were pressured, with 5 guys attacking with 3 defenders and a "Nice" mf who came back to help, we cleared the ball only first touch only to kick it to another team's player. Our forwards were playing too deep.

Next game we'll have it sorted out. And sadly, despite all this advice, my team wanted to play it attack style so guess what....the one positoin left open b/c of the 1 man less was the second CDM postion. SUch an important postion. OUr loss. NOw my team wil listen to me.

·
Registered
14,769 Posts
yup, thigns never realyl work out the way it's planned. Most of the time you need several games or even a year to work everything out.

Everyone wants to play their style and you can't really blame them.

That's why you really need a captin for your team. Things like missing players and stuff is not anyone's fault.

What you really want to do is practice iwth your team more. that' s the best advice i can give you.
Pure talent won'ty get you far enough.

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The FIFA President said:
yup, thigns never realyl work out the way it's planned. Most of the time you need several games or even a year to work everything out.

Everyone wants to play their style and you can't really blame them.

That's why you really need a captin for your team. Things like missing players and stuff is not anyone's fault.

What you really want to do is practice iwth your team more. that' s the best advice i can give you.
Pure talent won'ty get you far enough.
We are training today El Presidente. We have decided to stick with our current lineup up front.. They had the shots, but bad finishing on their part. So it can work if they can make the shots. In the back, we getting a new experienced GK and moving our 2nd half GK to the center back position where he was quite rough and good until he moved to take over me as GK. Our two defendesr stay the same. Now that we have the extra man, I'm going to move up to that extra CDM spot next to our best player on the team. I think that our best player should go in the CDM spot rather than up front, so that he can't be taken out of the team. Let me know how ur stuff goes.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts