Xtratime Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gordon Strachan's article in the Guardian got me thinking along these lines....speaking about Everton, he said that Everton were massively distracted last year by all the speculation about Rooney leaving, it was as though they were a one man club - and they were far more united this year without him.

Could this be the case with Gerrard? He certainly seems distracted, especially the last few games...and I am personally convinced that he has already decided to leave - if not, he would come right out and say so, I do not really think that he has to play mind games with LFC to increase his value during contract negotiations.

Question is, assuming we get 30 million, where do you spend these?? We need a strong midfielder alongside alonso...

In Rafa i trust...

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
Yes and no, I think that Rooney leaving in the summer took so much expectation off Everton, hence - we were tipped for relegation. At the start of last season - it was the opposite - we were expected to do so well because Rooney made the break through the previous year.
I think Liverpool's team performance would improve without Gerrard, but obviously his induvidual talent would be greatly missed, ex: his goal vs Olympiakos

·
Banned
130 Posts
If you have faith in Raffa and his possible buys then we will be better without gerrard, he's a great player but hes just one player and individuals dont win anything, teams do

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
In a word, for this season at least...yes. A load of bollocks is made about Gerrard being the driving force of the team and that everyone else lets him down. Well, our scoring ratio this season was higher without him, and our win ratio was higher without him. Also, we did just fine without him against Leverkusen.

I'd be way more gutted if Alonso left, because that would leave us with our current state of affairs-i.e. Hamann and Gerrard not getting the job done and us losing literally losing as many games as we win, if not more.

·
Registered
574 Posts
only if we get around 30 mil for him. otherwise i'd rather he stay...that is on the condition he can still inspire the squad. if not, perhaps Jamie should be captain and get some of the pressure/expectations off of Stevie.

·
Premier Player
5,940 Posts
_Eight_Ball_ said:
Yes and no, I think that Rooney leaving in the summer took so much expectation off Everton, hence - we were tipped for relegation. At the start of last season - it was the opposite - we were expected to do so well because Rooney made the break through the previous year.
I think Liverpool's team performance would improve without Gerrard, but obviously his induvidual talent would be greatly missed, ex: his goal vs Olympiakos
I don't think it can be compared in that sense..

In Everton's case.. they had the decision to keep Rooney (undeniable talent.. but with attitude and committment issues.. 2 musts for Moyes' type of players) but have a club in deep financial issues.. Or sell him.. cash in and solve (or ease) your financial issues.. so the club can focus on the footie for a change.. I believe Everton made the right decision..

We're not in a financial crisis.. Gerrard has the attitude we need.. but I could question his committment with all the media releases he's giving.. at times.. he looks like Mr. Liverpool FC.. at other times.. he plays as if he doesn't give a f*ck.. Mainly cuz he's starting to sense that lots of players in the side depend on him way too much.. which is pissing him off more than making him happy (and in that point.. he is RIGHT)..

Should we sell? Well it's all a matter of would he want to leave? and who would u sell to? I'd rather he goes to Real Madrid than to Chelsea.. as I wouldn't want to be strengthening one of the teams we're trying to chase in the process.. But who would u get with £30m.. I'd say 2 quality players.. maybe 3.. simply cuz prices will double the moment we get the cash.. and teams would want more than what their players are valued for cuz they know we have the money..

My heart says Gerrard should stay.. he's still (at this state) got more committment and hunger into him than half of the squad put together.. he loves the club.. and has proved that over and over..

My head says if the speculations continue affecting him or the club.. we sell and buy replacements to make sure the TEAM is heading in the right direction..

·
Registered
17,028 Posts
if he was to leave, who do you think would pick him up? would you say another english team, ie. chelsea and united could be the only ones who could really afford him. Or would you say Real Madrid? maybe a move to Italy??

if he was to leave, which i still doubt he will, which league and teams would you think he would join?

·
Registered
16,663 Posts
CUG said:
if he was to leave, who do you think would pick him up? would you say another english team, ie. chelsea and united could be the only ones who could really afford him. Or would you say Real Madrid? maybe a move to Italy??
hahahahahahahHA! NO!

He aint going no where, but if he does it wont be to ****ing united

·
Registered
65 Posts
SG will leave in my veiw, quite simple really, to be honest there is only Chelsea and Real who could afford to give £35 million for him, so this would rule out any possible hope any of the Italian clubs had of signing him.

Chelsea are in the driving seat but with Beckham and Owen at Real, they have a few weapons that could tempt him, either way he will be wearing white or blue next season.

On a brighter note a few names being branded around town in the last few days are.

Ballack, Aimar, Vicente, Van der Vaart, Wright Phillips, Defoe

the summer looks good for us and remember 1 thing

Keep The Faith
YNWA
In Rafa We Trust

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
The Rooney sale saved Everton, it took 2 problems away from Moyes; Building the team around Wayne, and giving him money to spend on new players. The money was spent very wisely/shrewdly and full credit to Moyes and the Everton squad for achieving what they have already this season.

It's not the same situation at Liverpool with Gerrard.

If StevieG wants to leave, then he should go. So far there's no evidence to suggest he has a real desire to move clubs though, and if he doesn't want to leave... why are we talking about it?

·
Registered
6,111 Posts
I hope he stays but if he does go, I would buy Aimar, a young CB, and a GK.
maybe Benitez will give Welsh a chance in first team.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts