Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now forgive me if there's a full array of Indian footballers around europe, but Leeds are trying to sign Sunil Chhetri

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=cNdz5kkY0C4&feature=related

He doesnt look very big and maybe this is why hardly any have been signed, but with a growing population and a growing middle class aswell, is India the new China... Will clubs be flocking to India to get in the market.

Signing their best player seems to be a good start, especially for a club like Leeds who are in an area with lots of Indian immigrants and immigrant generations, its pretty much an untapped market.

Best to get in early before the disease that is Man United does :D

·
Masch for Captain
2,413 Posts
No because their frame 7 out 10 is quite small due to a large precentage of the indian community being vegitarians and their community is education before anything else and if there veer in the direction of sports it will be cricket or land hockey.

I really doubt a Indian will ever play in any top European league.

Was Dorasooh Asian?

·
Registered
13,606 Posts
who knows if an indian football might make it it big in europe. at the end of the day its all about how good he is. in a nation that has population of more than 1 billion there's bound to be at least one guy who knows how to play football. only thing is that one has to find him.

·
Masch for Captain
2,413 Posts
Tbh most are shite where I live. They get blown with the wind.

There might be a Afghan footballer in the future maybe but their lack of facilities will always hinder them

·
Administrator
52,991 Posts
Vikash Dhooraso is from Mauritius, other then french that is. But yeah, ethnically indian ofcourse.

·
Registered
45,387 Posts
Dhorasoo is an example. French cap as well.

But if you're asking about Indian players, talk to Russell Peters first. He'd probably say that you'd have an Indian DM who'd tell everyone what to do. "Ibra! Score! Score you bastard! Good! See? I'm the mac daddy!".

·
Registered
27,401 Posts
who knows if an indian football might make it it big in europe. at the end of the day its all about how good he is. in a nation that has population of more than 1 billion there's bound to be at least one guy who knows how to play football. only thing is that one has to find him.
embarrassingly, no, there isn't.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
is India the new China...
What? Huge population, and not a single decent footballer in the entire country? :smileani:

Tbh, I don't know why India don't have a decent football team. Obviously, Asian football in general isn't exactly great, and so it's not good for the development of the game. Compare Turkey and Israel to neighbouring countries, all because of the sort of competition they get on a regular basis. I suspect the likes of Kazakhstan will develop their game much quicker too by competing in Europe instead. But having said that, you shouldn't expect a country that's as troubled as Iraq to be winning the Asia Cup ahead of countries like China and India. I don't know why the game doesn't appear to be developing in such countries. And not just those. Indonesia - 234m people, Pakistan - 182m people, Bangladesh - 150m people, Phillipines - 90m people, Vietnam - 86m people, Thailand - 63m people. These are all massive countries, so it's not enough to say they're bound to get some class players eventually because it would've happened by now if it was going to. The middle east seems to be the area that's most embracing football, with the likes of Egypt in Africa, Iran, Iraq and Saudi Arabia in Asia, and Israel and Turkey in Europe. There's a real passion for football in that part of the world. Maybe it will take the middle eastern countries to really lend some quality to an Asian tournament, before the rest of Asia really gets into it. The other area in which football is clearly the number 1 sport is the Vietnam and Thailand region, so it could emerge in a big way there too, but I think currently, they lack the serious competitive structure of similarly funded South American countries, for example.

But overall, I think because football is clearly the most competitive sport in the world, I think countries that don't have it as their most popular sport to both watch and play will always struggle. I can't think of a single decent international football team where football isn't easily the most popular sport. After all, China aren't exactly poor at sports, and neither are Australia or Japan, so you can't blame a lack of emphasis on sporting success in general. And to find out where football will develop best in Asia, you have to find which countries have the best following for the sport. And it seems like the middle east is the area where football is the clear leader. And in India, I'm afraid cricket is way ahead. In fact, it even overspills to British children of an Indian origin, which explains why there are so few British Indian children playing football professionally. America have shown that no amount of investment will turn you into a world class footballing nation, when all of the best sports kids play something else. Investing a fortune into a sport where only a handful of countries play it seriously can be successful, but it doesn't work in football, because it's such a universally sport, which is taken seriously by almost every country in the world.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I've seen Chhetri play, he's from my city actually (New Delhi). Don't look too much into his small frame, the guy is fast, extremely agile & clever as a fox. Ofcourse, he'd have definite problems competing for the aerial balls in Europe, but then with his style of play, it does'nt really matter.

Also, there's this misconception that Indians are small and have a small frame. :howler: Stop mixing us with orientals, may be they are small, Indians are not. The only problem is that football is not really popular in India as such. Look at the Indian cricket team, except for may be a couple of players, every single guy is a 6ft+ strongly built athlete. And even the shorter ones are massively built. It's not about small frame at all, Indians are tall & big.

Once the sport gets more popular, you'll see more talent coming up. I used to play for the state U19 team albeit some 3-4 years ago and there was a lot of talent but most of them dropped out to pursue higher studies, so usually the guys who stayed were from poorer families (thus, physically weak) who did'nt have the resources to go abroad to study or get into a university.

·
anti-epl
2,076 Posts
As long as the people are obsessed about cricket,nothing good will happen.Be it football or any other sport.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
As long as the people are obsessed about cricket,nothing good will happen.Be it football or any other sport.
Ofcourse, that's true. Until the people & the media stop jacking off to cricket, we can kiss the dream of having a competetive football team goodbye.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
I know from my experience coaching young indian kids that a lot seem to have poor foot coordination but above average hand eye coordinaton.

Therefore it is easier to play sports like tennis, cricket or hockey then football

There was an Indian player at Bury a few years ago werent there?

Is Zesh Rehmann Indian?

Harpal Singh(used to play for Leeds?) is another Indian Player In England?

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Cut out the nationality thing.

If that Chhetri is as capable., he'd be playing for leeds and further.

Manchester United used Park, who is capable on the pitch as a reserve, and also marketable.

Big Dong is definitely Marketable, but he is not even half a Sun ji hai.

Seol is hell of a player in that category... he is gonna be big

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
I know from my experience coaching young indian kids that a lot seem to have poor foot coordination but above average hand eye coordinaton.

Therefore it is easier to play sports like tennis, cricket or hockey then football

There was an Indian player at Bury a few years ago werent there?

Is Zesh Rehmann Indian?

Harpal Singh(used to play for Leeds?) is another Indian Player In England?
Indians are not born with the hand-eye coordination, it's a result of the their early exposure to..guess what..Cricket!

The first toys a toddler gets in this country includes a full cricket kit. If instead of that they were given a football to play with, then you would'nt have said that.

·
Registered
23,873 Posts
Also, there's this misconception that Indians are small and have a small frame. :howler: Stop mixing us with orientals, may be they are small, Indians are not. The only problem is that football is not really popular in India as such. Look at the Indian cricket team, except for may be a couple of players, every single guy is a 6ft+ strongly built athlete. And even the shorter ones are massively built. It's not about small frame at all, Indians are tall & big.
Indians are not tall and big. At least not within any logical sort of context. If the average height is compared to most other countries the Indians will appear to be short.

Of course not all Indians are short. But the only reasonable comparison has to be made using the average height.

But I agree with you that this isn't the reason that India don't produce a lot of talented footballers. If football was popular in India they could still produce good footballers. Just look at Argentina and their constant flow of talented midgets. Size is not the only parameter to consider when it comes to football.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts