Xtratime Community banner

Costacurta wants Conte return

2K views 25 replies 9 participants last post by  Stephan 
#1 ·
Alessandro Costacurta admits he wants Chelsea manager Antonio Conte for Italy CT - “among the potential candidates, he’d be best”.

The former Milan defender has been appointed as sub-commissioner of the FIGC, and part of his role is finding a replacement for Giampiero Ventura.

Luigi Di Biagio is in caretaker charge, while other candidates include Carlo Ancelotti, Claudio Ranieri and Roberto Mancini.

However, Costacurta wants to see Conte return to the role.

“Among the potential candidates, he’s the one who, for me, would be best,” the former centre-back, capped 59 times by the Azzurri, told Gazzetta dello Sport from Bratislava.

“I’ll definitely hear from him in a couple of months. I have not chosen yet, but I think that the one who could do best is Conte.

“Conte has already shown that he can be CT, we saw that at the European Championships. That’s not the case for the others.

“That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t be comfortable with Mancini, or with Ancelotti, but he seems to have taken himself out of it.

“It’s the same for Ranieri who had a difficult time with Greece, but then came out of it stronger and want to Leicester.

“I’m looking for a Coach, not a selector. That means I wouldn’t overlook Coaches in the league: [Gian Piero] Gasperini and [Marco] Giampaolo [of Atalanta and Sampdoria respectively] would do well.

“I’ll tell you right away that I won’t contact [Milan Coach Rino] Gattuso. It would be a little too early.

“I’m sure he’ll be CT in a few years because he has everything: character, grit. I really like him, but choosing him now would be bad for him.

“He’s proven himself to have quality and a way of working, but I’m looking for a Coach who has developed more knowledge and has more experience on high-level benches.”

See less See more
#4 ·
italian football is dead (national team wise) for the foreseeable future. I see absolutley no difference makers. please don;t give me this cutrone nonsense. He's a poacher with average technique and no speed...right now we need great players.

I can't see one. I see good at BEST.

Mancini would be an awful choice as manager too if he's selected.

#6 ·
italian football is dead (national team wise) for the foreseeable future. I see absolutley no difference makers. please don;t give me this cutrone nonsense. He's a poacher with average technique and no speed...right now we need great players.

I can't see one. I see good at BEST.
The issue with your posts like this is you are implicitly over rating everyone else, there is no way there are even a handful of NTs that are looking good for 2022 for example. At most there is Brazil, France, Germany, Spain. All of them have issues.

#5 ·
Need a coach who is willing to invest himself long term and build a long term plan. With many veterans retiring now is the chance.

Some of the names he mentioned are not great. Happy with a conte, lotti or even allegri...mancini and ranieri not so much.

#7 ·
the problem is we throw a guy like cutrone, who will never be international class into a mix because he's had a flash in the pan season. The eye test tells me he is NOT international quality. He is as slow as a snail and lacks technique. Being a poacher can all take you so far..and even inzaghi had a bit of agility at least and could play offf better players to make up for his lack of other abilities.

#8 ·
Gattuso for allenatore :D

Talent pool is fine save for a destroyer or physical B2B in midfield (the one big weakness IMO) and lack of a top striker (for now).

Good keepers, potentially world's best defense, good wingers with WC potential. There isn't much to complain about. Just don't hire a 70 yo lower mid table level at best geriatric as coach.

#10 ·
Portieri: Buffon, Donnarumma, Perin

Difensori: Bonucci, Chiellini, Darmian, De Sciglio, Ferrari, Florenzi, Rugani, Spinazzola, Zappacosta

Centrocampisti: Bonaventura, Cristante, Gagliardini, Jorginho, Parolo, Pellegrini, Verratti

Attaccanti: Belotti, Candreva, Chiesa, Cutrone, Immobile, Insigne, Verdi

The selections in bold baffle me, even though I appreciate results are important in view of there being no opportunity to earn ranking points in Russia in June with the 2022 WC preliminary draw less than 18 months away.

To think I cheered against Italy to qualify in the hope it would wake up people in Italian football and therefore be the catalyst to reverse its long decline, but looking at some of these selections I wonder whether they realise they are in the second division of international football!

#11 ·
I still think chiellini has something to offer. should be new captain. my team would be

Donnarumma, Perin, Meret

Difensori: Romagnoli, Chiellini, Pezzella, Emerson Palmieri, Caldara, Florenzi, Rugani, Spinazzola, Zappacosta

Centrocampisti: Bonaventura, Cristante, Barella, Jorginho, Parolo (need an old head somewhere), Pellegrini, Verratti

Attaccanti: Belotti,Zaza, Chiesa, Balotelli, Immobile, Insigne, Verdi[/I]

Gagliardini has no business being in the NT.

#12 ·
I see what you mean. There is a balance to be struck between - on the one hand - beginning to develop a team for euro2020 qualification while - on the other hand - taking sufficient ranking points to be among the top 9 European nations at the end of next season and not infringing too much on the under 21 squad that is preparing to be the host team at next year's European Championship.

#14 · (Edited)
Candreva might score a hattrick to Sampdoria tomorrow, but up to now in this season he has been utter shite and it is not clear what he did to deserve another chance. Same for Gagliardini.
Not that I expected anything different from the Ferryman. He has always been the kind of coach who prefers to consolidate the wrong rather than risking to find the correct. For that reason alone he should never be an Italian NT coach. Not even the under 21 NT coach!

#20 ·
Looks like its going to mancini..my least favorite candidate. Not only is he a poor coach he's anti oriundi. So basically guys like mauro camoranesi or thiago motta wouldnt be called up by him. If you are not born in italy you cannot play for italy, regardless of your passport.

Not only does this further diminish our pool, he's also a bad coach.

He's also a fan of gagliardini, which shows you how much he knows about football.

Let's just say i was dreading him the most out of all the options. Rather would keep di biagio then hire mancini who offers nothing as a tactition or as a talent evaluator.

i'd even consider a foreign coach over him.

#23 · (Edited)
Im somewhat less pessimistic.

Mancini has experience with Balotelli when he was young and gave him opportunities at Man City. His Man City actually played attacking football in the league. They trashed SAF Utd for example. And Balotelli was MOM.

op82rkGfsKY

Balotelli actually considers Mancini a bit of a father figure. And i remember he said he only went to Man city because Mancini was coach. So it will be interesting to see if Balo gets his chance.

Mancini played for Italy during 84-94 so he knows the meaning of the national team and he has experience there.

His experience club level has ups and downs but Conte wasnt exactly amazing in CL either.

Mancini has given in his clubs younger players chance. Like i said Balotelli. He gave Santon his debut. Im sure there are other examples as well over the years. So he might actually start using some younger players.

The way things are its not like Italy was going to euros as contenders. And Mancini might not be coach by World Cup.

Btw people who say nothing will change and Italy will have problems next World Cup as well. Who ever they sign is not going to improve the roster Italy currently has. Also more needs to be done on youth level. Fact of the matter is some of the supposed next generation names havent lived up to the hype (Verratti).

#24 ·
Santon was a mourinho debutant.
Balotelli was Mancini

Mancini won because he had an inter side that was head and shoulders above what seria A had to offer at the time. Juve were rebuilding, Milan were getting too old, the roma clubs were meh..esp lazio.

Fine he won at man city. theres a reason why he's been irrelevant for years now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.