Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The friendly match ended up in a 1-1 draw.

Tomokazu Myojin put Japn ahead in the 69th minute while Winston Parks even the score at the 76th minute mark.

Here is the lineup:
Japan: Seigo Narazaki, Koji Nakata, Naoki Matsuda, Tsuneyasu Miyamoto (Shunsuke Nakamura, 82), Daisuke Ichikawa (Takashi Fukunishi, 45), Mitsuo Ogasawara (Hiroaki Morishima, 25), Tomokazu Myojin (Yasuhiro Hato, 80), Kazuyuki Toda, Alessandro Santos (Toshihiro Hattori, 79), Atsushi Yanagisawa (Akinori Nishizawa, 28), Takayuki Suzuki (Tatsuhiko Kubo, 86)

Costa Rica: Erick Lonis, Mauricio Wright, Luis Marin (Alexander Madrigal, 46), Harold Wallace (Daniel Vallejos, 76), Gilberto Martinez, Juan Jose Rodriguez, Mauricio Solis, Wilmer Lopez (Oscar Rojas, 66), Walter Centeno (Max Sanchez, 76), Rolando Fonseca (Winston Parks, 66), Ronald Gomez (Steven Bryce, 84)

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Just for the record, Costa Rica mist a penalty:( anyway I'm happy about the result, but I'm more happy about the fact that we find a replacement for Wanchope: Parks!

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
tokio_2002 said:
what a shame this is !
we couldn't beat Costa rica at home :(
A shame ?? Costa Rica is not an easy pray and beating them its a honor..Tying them ranks along the same lines..losing to them wouldnt be such a horror either ... I know you were home and that is VERY important. I just feel you totally understimated the Ticos !!! ;)

·
Registered
4,119 Posts
http://sports.yahoo.com

Japan ride luck in 1-1 draw with Costa Rica

By Alastair Himmer

YOKOHAMA (Reuters) - World Cup co-hosts Japan rode their luck as they drew 1-1 with Costa Rica in a friendly in Yokohama.

Striker Ronald Gomez missed a penalty nine minutes into the second half which looked costly when Japan took the lead through Kashiwa Reysol midfielder Tomokazu Myojin in the 70th minute.

Again fortune favoured Japan as Myojin sliced a right-wing cross over Costa Rica goalkeeper Erick Lonnis to the delight of 65,000 fans at International Stadium, venue for the World Cup final on June 30.

However, Costa Rica hit back seven minutes later when substitute Winston Parks was allowed to skip through the Japan defence and beat Japan goalkeeper Seigo Narazaki from close range.

The Udinese striker had been on the pitch for less than 10 minutes after replacing Rolando Fonseca.

Moments later, Japan almost restored their lead when Akinori Nishizawa met a pinpoint cross from Brazilian-born midfielder Alessandro only to see his header come back off the post.

Japan, who clearly missed European-based players Hidetoshi Nakata (Parma), Shinji Ono (Feyenoord) and Junichi Inamoto (Arsenal), created the better chances but were let down by a lack of composure in front of goal.

CHIEF CULPRIT

Kashima Antlers striker Takayuki Suzuki was the chief culprit, missing the target with three close-range headers in quick succession after the interval.

But Japan, who beat Ukraine 1-0 in Osaka and Poland 2-0 away last month, were lucky to survive the penalty decision, awarded when Koji Nakata hauled down Harold Wallace inside the box.

Gomez stepped up to take the spot kick but his shot was too close to Narazaki, who blocked comfortably.

Japan coach Philippe Troussier quickly lost his patience with the lack of urgency shown by his players at the start.

The Frenchman duly hauled off midfielder Mitsuo Ogasawara, who was making his first international start, in the 26th minute and his Kashima team mate Atsushi Yanagisawa four minutes later.

"We made a bad start and there was some confusion early on so I made changes. Ogasawara was playing too deep to be effective in attack and Yanagisawa just wasn't involved at all" said Troussier.

"But our balance improved after that and we looked a different team towards the end."

Costa Rica coach Alexander Guimaraes, who was without a number of regulars, including injured Manchester City striker Paulo Wanchope and captain Reynaldo Parks, said the match had been a valuable lesson ahead of the World Cup.

"We had seven new players in the squad and I wanted to have a look at a few different options," Guimaraes told reporters.

"If Wanchope is not fit in time for the World Cup, at least we know now that (Winston) Parks can do the job."

Japan, who co-host the World Cup with South Korea, play Belgium, Russia and Tunisia in group H, while Costa Rica face Brazil, China and Turkey in group C. The World Cup kicks off in Seoul on May 31.

·
Registered
81 Posts
colocolo said:
A shame ?? Costa Rica is not an easy pray and beating them its a honor..Tying them ranks along the same lines..losing to them wouldnt be such a horror either ... I know you were home and that is VERY important. I just feel you totally understimated the Ticos !!! ;)
i don't underestimate Costa rica.
i am ashamed of poor performance of Japan NT in this game.
we had to kick Costa rica's ass without european based players.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
tokio_2002 said:

i don't underestimate Costa rica.
i am ashamed of poor performance of Japan NT in this game.
we had to kick Costa rica's ass without european based players.
Cool...Now I see your point !!! ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts