Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
it's me again :D (you folks probably are sick of me :D ) but

yep YET another MLS player is going to have a trial at Feyenoord and this time it's Dallas Burns' Cory Gibbs. Our defence is really poor and we need any help we can get. Do you think he'd be able to bolster it? I'm not really so over the moon when I see that he's played for a club like Sankt Pauli for 3 seasons, but is he better than the level of that club?
Also what position does he play? left back or centre back or both?

About that Jamaican lad we had on trial earlier this month, Damani Ralph, I haven't heard anything btw so I assume he's gone back to the States without a contract.

·
Third Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
1,944 Posts
Try looking at Onyewu from Standard Liege. He's younger than Gibbs (22), very physical (192 cm / 91 kg) and I rate him quite highly.

Gibbs is OK. He's been solid from what I've seen of him. Onyewu's got more potential though.

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Gibbs his good, a solid international defender. I always wondered why he was at St. Pauli, he's much better than them.

Onyweu will not be leaving Standard, they need him badly. Gibbs is a solid defender, but, I don't think he will get a contract.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Onyweu voted(Tie...him and a keeer) best playa in belgium! Get him! he is a monster and can score! Dont let Lazio or Hamburg get him! Dont get Gibbs over him :nono: Columbus Crew star Chad Marsall has more potential than Gibbs. Gibbs is decent or ok. He has his days. He reminds me a bit of Syvestre(manure)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I remember when Gibbs shows his best performance; he totally blocked van Nistelrooy in the friendly game.

Just Good defender...hope he can improve in Dutch league ;)

·
Registered
59,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4th time lucky :D All rumours here are saying that Cory Gibbs will be a Feyenoord player very soon. Gullit's apparantly been impressed by his communicative skills and he had a good game versus Rosenborg in a friendly we played against them on Tuesday (won 4-1 btw).

Only staggering block will be whether we'll be able to agree about a fee with the MLS. We aren't the richest of clubs. Anything above 2 or 3 million euros and I can't see us going through with the deal but saying that Beasley didn't cost much either for PSV, right?

BTW can Gibbs also play as a left back?
I know he's best as a central defender preferably as the left sided central defender with his left foot and height but can he also play as a LB?

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
1 1/2 or 1 million million should do it , cuz he wasnt a star playa in MLS. Beasley was around 3 something , cuz he was already a star playa

He is a centralback! He is a solid playa...just ask Ruud :pp

Feyenoord...Gibbs
Ajax..O'Brien
PSV...Beasley

Before it was England , and Germany...now them yanks r taking over Holland! Italy and Spain r next :boxing:

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
:howler: Eh he he he. In the same way Cobi Jones 'took over' Coventry in the mid 90's?

Gibbs will be a good buy because he will perform and I believe you'll be able to get him really cheap, so that'll help you

·
Registered
59,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
1 million dollars / 770 000 euros is apparantly the fee I just read so yeah, even for us it should be do-able :D

Latest is that the deal should be concluded very soon :)

Hope he'll be a success. He looks very athletic at least like all US sportsman are really except Lalas :howler: :D

Gibbs surely will be an improvement on the guy we had before, Patrick Paauwe who was as slow as a snail :eek:

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Yeah, our players are very athletic due to a combination of playing many sports at a younger age (also key to development of goalkeepers) and the fact that it's hotter here than the big European leagues. Thus, the players get used to working through the heat, and by the time they get to somewhere like Holland and can play matches in the 50s and 60s routinely, then it's just rather easy to them by comparison. I think this is one of the reasons our players did well in the World Cup and can usually make a pretty easy switch to European football - great fitness.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Onyweu was voted best player in Belguim? Over Vincent Kompany???? Damn, he must be playing very well then. I wish they would show some Standard Liege games on FSW, but why would we expect that, they are EPL crazy. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
7,217 Posts
Andr3w said:
Onyweu was voted best player in Belguim? Over Vincent Kompany???? Damn, he must be playing very well then. I wish they would show some Standard Liege games on FSW, but why would we expect that, they are EPL crazy. :rolleyes:
He has been playing very well!

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
That is fantastic news. I would love to see Onyweu move to a decent Italian club, such as Udinese, and learn how to make defending an art. This guy will be very valuable when the next World Cup comes around.

·
Registered
59,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's been confirmed now.

Gibbs today signed a 4,5 year contract with us and will join us for a million dollars. If all goes to plan he'll make his debut this Sunday (not so certain cos of work permit issues ) but it's more probable that it'll be next Wednesday in the Cup against leagueleaders AZ. :cool:

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Thats great news. Feyenoord is a good club to start his European career at, and hopefully he'll make us proud.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts