Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right, excluding the Italian events.

I want to know, what in your minds is the bggest proen corrupt activities in football.I am been serious here, ive just started to think about it and want to know some true stories.

Now, despite not been there, my offering is the 1975 European cup final between Bayern and Leeds.

The ref was absolutely awful. He was later proven for corruption, but the title was never handed to Leeds. Here is the story :

European cup history said:
To mark the 20th anniversary of the competition, UEFA decided to hold the 1975 final in Paris, scene of Real Madrid’s first triumph in 1956. It seemed the perfect match to commemorate such an occasion with the reigning champions taking on a Leeds side that, although they had won 6 major titles in the previous decade, had also finished runner-up 10 times and were determined to ensure that did not finish second once again. Unfortunately, the main talking points at the end of the evening did not concern the brilliance of the players and the drama of an exciting game, but the performance of the French referee Michel Kitabdjian and the behaviour of the Leeds supporters.

The game began with a late tackle by Yorath on Andersson which ended the game for the Bayern defender. Uli Hoeness later said: ‘It was the most brutal foul I think I have ever seen.’ From then Leeds dominated the game completely. During the first half, Leeds had two penalty appeals turned down. Firstly when Beckenbauer looked to have handled the ball inside the penalty area and then when the Bayern captain tripped Clarke. Even Beckenbauer admitted that the second incident should have been a penalty, but on both occasions Kitabdjian waved away the Leeds protests. The Leeds domination continued into the second half with only the heroic efforts of Maier and Beckenbauer keeping them at bay. Just past the hour mark, with Maier having just made a reflex save from Bremner, Peter Lorimer volleyed the ball home for what appeared to be the opening goal, but the linesman flagged for offside against Bremner and the goal was disallowed. Many Leeds fans were unable to contain their sense of frustration and missiles now began to rain down behind Maier’s goal. Five inutes later and those frustrations grew even greater as Muller released Torstensson, and his pass found Roth who hit a right foot shot past Stewart and into the net. Leeds fans now began to tear up their seats and use them as missiles while others attempted to get past the wall and moat that were between them and the pitch. Soon fighting ensued between the fans and the French police. Seven minutes from the end Bayern counter attacked again and Muller scored at the near post after a Kapellman cross.

The night could hardly have been worse for Leeds United. Despite dominating the game they had received no favours from the French referee and had beaten by two late goals. On top of that, their fans had blackened the name of the club and they would be punished by a four year ban from European football. Bayern meanwhile, while not being at their best, had retained the trophy, although they were forced to abandon their lap of honour. It had turned out to be a successful night for Bayern Munich, but for football it had been a stark warning of dark events to come which would culminate in the horrors that occur ten years later

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
There's no evidence there of corruption, just bad refereeing. And I have no sympathy for that Leeds side which so often bended the rules to achieve their success in the first place.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There's no evidence there of corruption, just bad refereeing. And I have no sympathy for that Leeds side which so often bended the rules to achieve their success in the first place.
The ref was prooven for corruption in mumerous matches.

That is corrupt.

And to be honest, TGO I wouldnt expect you to have any sympathy, probably jelousy though.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
What exactly do I have to be jealous of? History doesn't remember runners up. Anyway I'll put this in WF, sorry I forgot earlier :wallbang:

·
Registered
834 Posts
on a wider perspective there will always be corruption in football especially since theres so much money flying about in the game these days,
agents are the worse culprits,ie the number of stories i have read with them pocketing from financial deals illegally is worrying especially from players who come from backward countries

·
Registered
14,806 Posts
Which one was it where the official has come out and admitted cheating? It was an english club that was robbed in the 70's and some MP was calling for the result to be overturned in the record books.

·
0-1, Huth.
6,070 Posts
I'm sure there was a ref(s) in Germany who was involved in some match fixing. It was quite recently as well. I remember seeing a clip where he sent off a bloke for virtually nothing. I was gobsmacked.

·
*the drum drum*
43,173 Posts
Galatasaray and Beşiktaş were once in a title race, equal on points and it would basically come down to who got the biggest win in the last league match.

Galatasaray beat Ankaragücü 8-0 and won the title. Everyone knew what had gone on, but it took until a few Ankaragücü players came out a few years later and admitted what happened. Any other nation would've reversed the result of that title, but they'd never do it in Turkey.

Quite honourably, Beşiktaş has since had a motto of "we only want to win clean titles".

·
FM of the Year 2007
10,611 Posts
The Zheyun Ye scandal in Belgium without a doubt.

Zheyun Ye is a Chinese business man who is accused of being involved in a Belgian football corruption -and betting scandal in 2005. Several teams and/or players would have gotten money from Zheyun Ye to influence match results, so involved gamblers could be certain of a guaranteed gambling profit.

Teams mentioned in the scandal are Lierse, La Louvière, Sint-Truiden, AEC Mons, V. Geel and also G. Beerschot. Zheyun Ye always showed up at teams with financial problems, except for G. Beerschot, who had at that time a crucial match against AEC Mons who were at the verge of relegating. The insinuations about fixed results started after a few matches, on which were heavily betted, with strange events and/or results. Such as e.g. Lierse starting with a b-team twice unexpectedly. Zheyun Ye had also been manager of Finnish team AC Allianssi, due to bankruptcy a now defunct club who also seemed to suffer from some strange match events at the end of their existence. Police investigated the case but found no sufficient evidence.

The Belgian football association was heavily criticised by press and football fans for their indolent investigation about the whole case. A lot of players and teams were accused of being involved, but in the end only one team (Lierse, relegation to third division), one coach (Paul Put, lifetime suspension) and one player (Hasan Kacić, 2 year suspension) were found guilty of match fixing. The sentences still have to be confirmed before they are executed.

Zheyun Ye mostly worked together with Pietro Allatta and Olivier Suray. Police arrested both, but Allatta and Suray were released after interrogation. On March 16, 2006, the Belgian Justice Department ordered an international arrest warrant against Zheyun Ye. It is unknown where he currently remains. May 6, his lawyer told French sports paper L'Équipe that Zheyun Ye denied all accusations and that he was residing somewhere in China.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zheyun_Ye
There is still a thread about this scandal in the Belgian Forum.

·
FM of the Year 2007
10,611 Posts
And the Anderlecht - Nottingham Forest scandal:

Forest sues Anderlecht over '84 bribery scandal

Nottingham Forest and 16 former players have started court proceedings against one of Belgium's largest football clubs, Anderlecht, over the 1984 UEFA Cup bribery scandal.

The former chairman of the Belgian club admitted earlier this year that the referee was paid the equivalent of £27,000 as a "loan" ahead of the semi-final second leg, which the team won 3-0.

Forest, who had won the first leg 2-0, had a goal controversially disallowed.

The club has been trying for three months to reach a financial settlement with Anderlecht without success and have now served a writ.

Nottingham Forest - under the leadership of Brian Clough - was one of Britain's most successful teams in Europe in the late 1970s, winning the European Cup twice in succession.

·
Banned
13,144 Posts
1943 Cup 2nd leg R.Madrid-F.C. Barcelona 11-1

Barça squad were threatened by the Spanish military that bad things would happen to them if they won. First leg was won by Barça 3-0. It was the semi-final if I remember correctly.

·
Registered
70,348 Posts
Some interesting cases there.

Romania has a big tradition of internal fixed games. One of the most special cases happened in the last round of the 1997-98 season. Rapid faced Universitatea Craiova and they needed the 3 points to win the title (Steaua was the other candidate). The thing is that Rapid and Craiova would play the Cup final some days later and if Rapid won the league title, Craiova would be directly qualified for UEFA Cup, no matter the result in the Cup final. So Craiova players could be interested on losing the league game in their own benefit.

It´s easy to predict that Rapid and Craiova reached an agreement before the game to let Rapid win. It´s easy to predict that Steaua tried to pay big bonuses for Craiova players in order to win the game as well. So when the game started some Craiova players wanted to lose and others wanted to win. The ref gave a penalty to Craiova and the player Lutu missed it on purpose. But there was a Craiova player that wanted to win: Ionel Ganea. He scored 2 goals and Craiova tied 2-2 against a surprised Rapid.

With that result Rapid lost the title and Steaua was the champion. Days later Rapid beat Craiova in the Cup final, and Craiova got out of European tournaments for the next season. It´s one of the most bizarre cases I know. Funny that in the next season Rapid signed Ganea, and they won the title with him as topscorer.

·
Registered
384 Posts
On a world stage Argentina 78' should get a mention.The infamous game agianst Peru was the climax of that scandal.

·
Registered
62,100 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts

·
Mourinho & Cassano!!
45,797 Posts
A typical clueless Brit wrote a story about Inter bribed the referees in the 1965 Semis and Final of the Champions league. Then all of Italy heard about it, and the story grew.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts