Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well how can I start this, some people will think I'm one of those conspiracy theorists, but I just cant shake the feeling & have a hunch the last few football competitions were highly irregular.

This all coincides with the re-election of FIFA President Sepp Blatter. If you remember there were some financial scandals against him during and before the votes came in which led to the sacking or resignation whatever it was of the then FIFA General Secretary Michael Zen - Ruffinen who led the charges. Maybe he didnt want to be an accomplice and paid for it by being axed.

My hypothesis is that it all started with the intro at the World Cup Korea/Japan 2002: The "fairytale" semifinal story of the co-hosts South Korea who never even previously won a game at numerous past WC tournaments they participated in. I remember Spain who according to me presented the only serious threat to Brazil's title aspirations how they were screwed of the opportunity by a dodgy ref from Egypt who dissalowed 2 100% goals for the Spanish.

Next on to the Champions League last season, FC Porto came basically from nowhere to lift the title, and caused quite a few upsets for the bookies. Interestingly a couple of months prior to the start of the Euro2004 which coincidentally was being hosted by Portugal.

There came even a bigger upset when Greece (no disrespect intended) who not even the wildest optimist expected to reach the semis - went all the way with another "cinderella" story (never won a match at previous European Championships) on the way to the championship trophy. Coincidentally, couple of months prior to the beggining of the Olympic Games 2004 being hosted by Athens, Greece.

It seems as if though the money is moving from Portugal to Greece to Germany. Whether the success of these teams was ment to raise the interest for football in the host countries in order to raise attendances, make football more exciting by artifically creating results or something else is what I am suspicious about. I cant make out if these results have been influenced by the football gambling rings which evermore have a say in the game (i.e. the Hoyzer scandal is just the tip of the iceberg) or the people running FIFA or a combination of both.

What is your thought on this concerning matter? Feel free to add any relevant input.

Whether this is all a fluke, just a mere coincidence or match-fixing on a grand scale remains to be seen.

Anyways, just in case, I already put my money on Bayern Munich on winning either this seasons Champions League or the one next season just before the World Cup 2006 in Germany. :shades:

·
Registered
63 Posts
I thought this thread is about the bribing of ref scandal in Germany. If Germany has such a problems, I guess it happens everywhere in the world.

I meant no offense. I do not buy your theory on Greece and Euro 2004. They did not win with fishy plays by players or strange calls by the refs. They won with a good defense. They almost did not make a single mistakes the entire tournament.

FC Porto made only a single major upset by beating MU. In the knockout stage, they beat Lyons, Monaco and Deportivo. They were not big upsets. They won because other big teams were taken out by other teams.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If i had any faith in the people who run the sport, it certainly didn't outlive South Korea's "miracle" run at the last world cup. When political interests are tied up with the result of matches the game and the fans can only suffer.

When the organisations that control football at the highest level are riddled with corruption you can't expect very much from anyone else in the game. How are individual confederations, national associations and even clubs expected to act morally when the executives who run the international bodies are mostly just money-grabbing beaurecrats who don't care about anybody's interests but their own.

FIFA is about as straight as a corkscrew. There is really nothing more to add.

·
Registered
28,738 Posts
i agree there is a lot of corruption in the footy world. but if its the bosses of the footy world not much can be said. this is all controlled by big business and the rich. money talks in football and not just in the legit way if you know what i mean.

i really felt for spain as they are a BIG but quiet footy nation, they didnt make a storm out of it like the english or italians would have, therefore they were screwed. i remember when the italians were screwed by refs against south korea and they hammered the ref. same happened with urs meier.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts