Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd just like to know what are the copyright laws concerning pictures that are circulated on the Internet?? Like, say, photos of football players, let's say Beckham - many websites dedicated to Beckham more or less have the same photos of him, his family, him playing on the pitch, etc. Who owns the copyrights to these photos? Or is it the case that since they are so widely circulated on the Internet, nobody actually owns the copyrights to them??

I have a website where I feature some funny photos of footballers. I got these photos mainly from surfing websites dedicated to players (most of these websites are made by fans like me, not the official websites). Sometimes other football fans who visited my website would send me pics. Recently I was approached by an independent TV production company in England requesting for permission to use those photos for a TV program for Anglia Television. I would be more than happy to let them use the photos... but I don't actually own the copyrights to these photos... I don't want to get into trouble with the law. :(

I know some companies have been prosecuted for even using maps or street atlases from other sites just to show where their shops are located, as far as my understanding goes it is ok to reproduce intellectual property/photos/maps/etc if it is for personal use (e.g., non-profit personal website) or for educational purposes, but not if it is for commercial purposes... or am I wrong?

Anybody knows anything about this? Can I allow the TV company to use the photos? Any information is appreciated.

Cheers! :)

·
Administrator
11,362 Posts
As far as I my experience goes (having my own site, talking to other webmasters....) when it comes to the net and its massive size its only a case of the copyright owners not bothering or not having the resources to go after the likes of me and you. As far as allowing others to show pics on a different medium (TV for example) I would not do that even if the pics are modified in anyway by you.

·
Defunct
23,341 Posts
In my uneducated opinion you should not "allow" them to use the pictures, just tell them they're not really yours. I have discovered through unwanted experience of my own that some people do have a problem with fansites using pictures they don't own. It's hard to say what is okay and what isn't, it depends on the party in question, some agencies don't care enough to come after people, some do. It's also hard to say how a person should go about trying to track down the copyright holder of a picture found on the internet.

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the information :), I think I'll tell the person in charge that the pics are not mine, hopefully that'll not get me into any trouble. :angel:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts