Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 98 Posts

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a week, on Wednesday, May 11, AS Roma fight for the last remaining trophy available left in our deck during this nightmare of a season: Coppa Italia. After defeating Siena, and barely beating Fiorentina, we play Udinese at home to start the two-leg affair.
Totti is available and should play, as should most of our first team regulars. The only problem with that is we have the derby to play four days later, so it makes it difficult. Then we play the return leg at Friuli on May 18. The winner of the semifinal plays the winner of Cagliari-Inter for the trophy. :dazed:
We play Parma this Sunday and Lazio next Sunday. In contrast, Udinese plays Lazio and then hosts Samp on May 15, which I'm sure will be a CL showdown, so they'll be saving for that.
I believe we have a few suspensions, including DeRossi, carried over from the Fiorentina PK heart attack win.
What do you think is necessary to get a positive result from these two legs vs. a very, very tough Udinese? How important is this remaining competition to your pride? I wish we were playing away first, but we are not. We require at least two goals at home next Wed. How do we go about getting them?
Forza Roma in Coppa Italia! :groan:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Well Roma's best result with Conti in charge was probably the Udinese game, so that bodes well at least. Like you've said Udinese are fighting for a CL place so may not place the kind of emphasis on these matches as we should. but then, as Arianna might point out again, Udinese has never won a trophy so they won't exactly throw this chance away either. It's a great way for Roma to salvage some pride from this season though, and I believe in it - especially now that some of the Inter players have started to talk up their chances :jester: ;)

·
Banned
1,724 Posts
Personally,I hope in a twisted way,we do not win this worthless trophy.If we do,then the likes of Sensi will camouflage our disastrous season by saying that we won a trophy.We need major changes for next season,not feeble excuses.I am prepared to sacrifice this season in the hope of better things next season.Remember,out of the last 9 league games,many against humble opposition,we managed only 2 points.That is a shameful statistic.We need to buy 3 world class players,and not glorify a poor season with a second category trophy. :nono:

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
I honestly believe we have a great chance here. This is not Serie A, so we don't need to win, we just want to. And I believe we want it badly! It's a weird thing, but forms in different tournaments doesn't seem to affect each other as much as it's natural to believe it will. Obviously quality does, but we've got the quality needed. It's "just" our form.

When we enter each Serie A match with the premise "we must win", it's obvious that it doesn't help us out. No need to distort the reality though, we need to win Serie A matches now so we can't enter the matches with other premises. Coppa Italia is very, very different. Everything seems to be a bonus now and it's funny how small positive events can turn everything around. Maybe a good match and result against Udinese can help us out mentally. I see Coppa Italia as the key for our success now. Ironically, that's just the thought we don't need.

Forza ragazzi!

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Suddenly, the match is upon us. It shall be interesting to see how we react at home in the Olimpico during our time of extreme crisis. I wonder what kind of team we and Udinese will field.
C'mon guys, do something and surprise us all with a few goals and some decent play. :scared:

·
Registered
7,402 Posts
Roma squad: Curci, Pipolo; Chivu, Cufre', Mexes, Scurto, Panucci, Abel Xavier; Perrotta, Briotti, Marsili, Virga, Rosi, Greco, Mancini; Cassano Corvia, Montella, Totti.

My lineup:

------------Curci
-----Scurto-Chivu-Mexes
Mancini-Perrotta-Greco-Cufre'
------------Totti
--------Montella-Cassano

We could rest Montella and play Corvia instead. Or we could change to a 442 with Curci, Panucci, Mexes, Chivu, Cufre, Mancini, Perrotta, Greco, Virga, Totti and Cassano..

This match is on TV here. Can't wait. A great way to finish a very, very heavy exam-period. :thmbup:

FORZA ROMA!!

·
Registered
54,576 Posts
My team:

Curci
Panucci Scurto Chivu Cufre
Mancini Perrotta Marsili Virga
Totti Cassano

Montella rested for the weekend. 25 minutes if we need him.

·
Registered
13,207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Conti has unveiled his squad for Wednesday’s Coppa semi-final against the Friuli outfit and will be without the injured Olivier Dacourt, Ivan Pelizzoli and Carlo Zotti, while Daniele De Rossi and Matteo Ferrari are suspended. Totti will be available for this competition, as his ban only applies to Serie A.

Roma squad: Curci, Pipolo; Chivu, Cufre', Mexes, Scurto, Panucci, Abel Xavier; Perrotta, Briotti, Marsili, Virga, Rosi, Greco, Mancini; Cassano Corvia, Montella, Totti. >>>>

UP WITH BABY ROMA :thmbup:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
I've done some quick calculations and the average age of that squad is about 23 :nervous:

But anyway we did ok against Udinese last time by fielding a whole lot of young players, so maybe we can get a result in this match too. Daje Roma :hopefull:

·
Registered
19,782 Posts
i'm dreaming of special night from Totti and the boys.. i'm optimistic and excited.. we will fight.. and we will win.. i still have faith in my Roma..

c'mon Totti don't let me down!! :fero:

·
Professional Pirate
7,109 Posts
2-2 totti,cassano-di michele Ilaquinta

luckily we have the away goals advantage!!....just my prediction....

1 - 20 of 98 Posts