Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the usual couple of people not knowing that, the game is on Tuesday night, at 9,00 Roman time.

Let's start with a bad news. Mauro Zàrate is banned and will miss the first leg. So, I guess at this point, the trident should be Foggia - Rocchi - Pandev, although Mauri is always in Rossi' heart.

As for the midfield, Matuzalem should be able to play, and so Ledesma. For the third midfielder, Rossi could put the names of the other fit midfielders (Brocchi, Dabo, Manfredini and Mauri) into a pot and then pick one of them, it's all the same anyway these days (and Ousmane is not fully fit).

Defenders are in the same situation. Lichtsteiner has still to recover fully, Diakité seems still injured (it is really unbelievable our players' ability at getting injured during training sessions), and maybe Rossi could opt for a rotation round with Rozehnal replacing Siviglia or Cribari, and Radu for Kolarov. We will see.

The return leg is on the 22nd of April...

·
Administrator
52,996 Posts
Cant you play with your whole primavera team? Coppa should be for the youths :pp Read, I just want to see some of our Viareggio champs of youngsters in this game instead of likes of Marchionni and et al :groan:

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
FORZA LAZIO!

:)

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cant you play with your whole primavera team? Coppa should be for the youths :pp Read, I just want to see some of our Viareggio champs of youngsters in this game instead of likes of Marchionni and et al :groan:
Mah, most probably in a Primavera vs Primavera, Lazio chances to beat Juventus would be bigger than in the First team vs First team. At the Viareggio tournament 2009, if there was a game when Juventus were inches from being kicked out of the competition, that was in the quarterfinals against Lazio, when the game went to the penalty kicks, and Juventus won 7-6.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
If we're serious about getting to the UEFA cup, this is our best chance.

The game has been marketed quite a bit and there should be a good crowd at the Olimpico tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,101 Posts
I would not start Pandev for this game and the next League game. I dont know whats going on with him but he is not playing well at all. I would go with Foggia - Rocchi - Mauri.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
According to Epolis, tonight at 20,45 Lazio will line up a 4-4-2 with more or less the first team, so no rotation (and after all, we have not good players enough for a serious and effective rotation system...).

Attachments

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
I actually like this formation.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
It's Manfredini instead of Mauri.

The sea of flags looked great!

·
Administrator
52,996 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
In Coppa we seem to pull off these comebacks...it was great to see the spirit after going down from a lucky deflection. In the end 2-1 is not a great result from the first leg, but we still got to be happy with it. Good atmosphere at the Olimpico, as well.

Now to wait for the second leg which is, believe it or not, on the 22th of April. This is ridiculous. Why couldn't this be a one-leg match as well...like Ranieri said after the game, 50 days between the games is just stupid.

·
Registered
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Had Charles Dickens been a Lazio fan, he would have for sure changed the title of one of his masterpiece into "A tale of two halves". Indeed, tonight's match well resmbled many games we Lazio fans have seen during this season.

In the first half Juventus played better, they scored a goal then disallowed for a non existant offside (but at the beginning of the action that eventually originated the goal there was a foul on Matuzalem that the referee did not whistled), and then, ironically, scored the valid goal thanks to a Lazio fan, Marchionni.

But with Mauri on for Manfredini and Juventus slowering their pace, the game changed. Manninger played a good match, but he could not save on Pandev's shot, and then Rocchi won the duel with Chiellini to score the goal that give Lazio our first win over Juventus for 5 years. Kolarov, again, shot on the man, but this time the referee kept a fair distance and it was Grygera who was hit...

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
Third victory in a row. :) Nice to see we're back on track.

Some good chances for Mauri and Rocchi towards the end there as well.

All in all we played pretty good, even the defense held it's own. You can only put it down to mentality. This team can play some mighty fine football when it really wants to.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
what a performance by the trio of Foggia, Pandev and Matuzalem...Matu has been very very impressive since his return from injury and i hope he continues his wonderful form...if his current form is to go by, Lazio could do well by selling Ledesma and buying a reliable defensive mid. to provide better cover to the back four...

and FOggia, my my, what a player he is!..he sooo reminds me of Lionel Messi. He made Molinaro look much more ameteurish then he already was..even Chiellini couldn't deal with him...him not being called up by Lippi is as sad as Cassano not being called and Toni and Gila getting called.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
If only we could play like in that second half more often...
Very entertaining game. I really like the way we outmuscled, outran and flat out outplayed them in every area of the pitch in the second half. Matuzalem and Ledesma are emerging as a very solid pairing of two-way midfielders. Now if only had an actual left-winger so we could play 4-4-2 without relying on Mauri or Manfredini...

Lazio could do well by selling Ledesma and buying a reliable defensive mid. to provide better cover to the back four...
Ahem, Ledesma was leading Serie A in recovered balls at one point, he does a great amount of dirty work and passes the ball much better than tthe vast majority of DMs we can afford. Why not just use this money to give him a new conract?

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
nah..i don't think he is the same player like he was before, probably since mid-07...he shows up once in a while, like today, but usually sucks *ss...a two-way mid like Lucho Gonzalez would be much better, but that's being too hopeful..or someone like Moutinho or Miguel Veloso from Portugal..maybe Hernanes from Brazil?

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
I thought Ledesma and Matuzalem both played very well, but also great together, so why even think about selling one of them. There's the central midfield duo right there. Matuzalem is emerging as a good two-way player and Ledesma has probably been our most consistent performer of this season.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
What a great performance.
I really enjoyed last night`s match.

When we play stronger teams, we play better, even though we risk losing. In comparison to weaker teams that only come to defend.

I agree, in the first half, Juve were slightly better, but the second half was totally ours.

This guy Manninger does miracles when he plays against us. He defended great even in the first leg.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Samp-Inter 3-0, there's a pretty good chance to actually win this trophy if we get to the final.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
if u get past juventus and we fail to qualify, i hope u guys win this cup... :)

good luck, lazio... :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts