Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright lads the season kicks off this saturday as we have a coppa-match against Benevento.

This of course should be a comfortable win leaving no doubt who is the better team even if we don't feature the strongest line up.

Any ideas on our line up and which formation we will use?

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
I will guess here:

Carrizo

De Silvestri - Cribari - Siviglia - Kolarov (Radu)

Meghni - Ledesma - Matuzalem

Pandev - Mauri

Makinwa

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
It's a bit hard to tell...Rocchi and Dabo are out, I'm not sure about any others.

So I can see something like:

Carrizo
Lichtsteiner-Siviglia-Rozehnal-Radu
Meghni-Ledesma-Matuzalem
Pandev-Makinwa-Zarate

Other possibilities: De Silvestri to the right, Mauri instead of Zarate, and Manfredini (sigh) in place of Meghni.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Ok, some news. Radu returned injured from the NT duty and won't play. Kolarov is suspended so we'll probably Lichtsteiner on the left. Mauri-Pandev-Makinwa was the attack in today's practice. Probable line-up:

Carrizo
De Silvestri-Siviglia-Rozehnal-Lichtsteiner
Meghni-Ledesma-Matuzalem
Pandev-Makinwa-Mauri

For Maki it's now or never. No more excuses.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
...For Maki it's now or never. No more excuses.

I totally agree here.

Regarding Radu and Kolarov: this is one of the matches we can survive without both first choice left flank-ers.

·
Flop
5,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'd like to see Foggia in this match to see what he can do. He could replace Mauri as the left sideed attacker or just behind Pandev-Makinwa.

·
First Place winner, June 2010 Photo Contest
38,110 Posts
2-0 at half time. No info on the line-up or the scorers though.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
4-1 now.

The team: Carrizo, De Silvestri, Siviglia, Rozehnal, Lichtsteiner, Meghni, Ledesma, Matuzalem, Mauri, Pandev, Makinwa.

1-0 Mauri with a tap-in after a goalkeeper error to a cross from De Silvestri.
2-0 Meghni with a deflected shot from the edge of the box
HT Two substitutions: Manfredini for Meghni, Cribari for Siviglia
2-1 Benevento attacker is one-on-one with Carrizo who saves, but it falls to another player of theirs who scores into empty net.
3-1 Manfredini hits home his own rebound from the post, after a header to De Silvestri's cross.
4-1 Pandev to empty net after another goalkeeper error following a cross from Lichtsteiner.
Last sub, Foggia in for Mauri.

So we get the comfortable win, as expected. Not much to celebrate in beating a Serie C club. But they are giallorossi, which makes this a bit nicer...:)

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Nice win for the last pre season match.

Makinwa failed to score again.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
Nice win, especially comapred to Palermo's exploits in the Coppa tonight. :)
Kind of weird that neither Zarate nor Foggia played, shouldn't we be trying players who are less integrated into the squad in such games? I wish Rossi did not believe so foolishly in Makinwa...

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
...De Silvestri and Meghi injured.

That is sooo bad. Hope nothing serious.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
Nice win, especially comapred to Palermo's exploits in the Coppa tonight. :)
Kind of weird that neither Zarate nor Foggia played, shouldn't we be trying players who are less integrated into the squad in such games? I wish Rossi did not believe so foolishly in Makinwa...
I don't think he prefers Makinwa over Zarate or Foggia as a player, but in his tactic he feels it necessary to have a centre forward. Which probably means that if Crespo doesn't come, Maki will start at Sardegna next Sunday...:(

By the way, Foggia did come in as a sub and assisted on the fifth goal.

The injuries are indeed worrying. De Silvestri's sounds like a pull that's not too serious. For Meghni the problem was knee, which sounds far more troubling, especially knowing his injury history.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
I don't think he prefers Makinwa over Zarate or Foggia as a player, but in his tactic he feels it necessary to have a centre forward.
Fair enough but maybe he shouldn't have that much faith in a player who hasn't scored in an official game since forever. I think he needs to show more flexibility and not play with a powerful striker if we don't happen to have one that is any good at a given time. Or at least try that Kozak guy or Mendicino (not sure if the latter isa targetman or not, though) if a classic striker is so much of necessity - a concept which I doubt since Rocchi himself is not such a player.

·
Premium Member
14,067 Posts
I agree with that, and it's not that Makinwa is a target-man anyway. I don't think Kozak and Mendicino are Serie A players yet, though, so I'd rather have seen Pandev play the centre forward. Clearly Rossi wanted Maki to be successful but it's just not happening. He has now played more than any other attacker in our pre-season, and got 90 minutes yesterday. We have seen enough. Now we must count our losses and send him to Chievo or somewhere and sign Crespo.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
I don't think Kozak or Mendicino are good enough right now either but theoretically they should have more potential to develop than Makinwa who is already 25 and can't hide behind the "young talent" label any longer. Or if they are not deemed good enough to get a minute against a Serie C team at home, in game in which Rocchi is missing, Pandev has already scored and has played for his country days ago, we are leading 4-1 with more than 30 minutes to go...why are we keeping them in the group anyway? Or rather why keep Mendicino since Kozak has not played even in friendlies and I don't know what's up with him. Let's get rid of Makinwa before he turns into another Inzaghi.

We need someone to keep the ball close to the opponents' penalty box when surrounded by a lot of defenders and Makinwa is too clumsy to do that. On the other hand Zarate and Foggia are very good dribblers and Foggia at least (because I have barely seen Zarate) is also very quick. I just don't get it.

·
Registered
13,059 Posts
I read today that Zarate is quite pissed off by the fact that Makinwa has played in all the friendlies lately while he hasn't. And no wonder, when a club pays a few millions just to loan you, you'd expect to play more often than someone who hasn't scored in more than 500 days...Let's hope this discontent is more a case of newspaper speculation than reality but even if it is specualtion, it will probably becoem reality sooner or later if Rossi continues with his favouritism of Makinwa.

·
Laziale, Independent
6,075 Posts
Zarate has the right to be pissed off really.

It is not his fault that the coach cannot find him a permanent tactical position within the team. You can`t expect a new comer to play well if you let him play in different positions all the time.

As far as Makinwa is concerned, coach Rossi is making huge mistakes. I think he is stubborn. He wants us to believe that his judgment over Maki was right and prove us wrong. But, Makinwa is an ordinary forward hardly skilfull to even play for the teams that get promotion to Serie A.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts