Xtratime Community banner

Coppa Italia 2nd leg: Roma - Milan

2K views 57 replies 29 participants last post by  Phoenix 
#1 ·
first leg finished 2-1 to Milan at the San Siro

this will be a tough match for what is likely to be our reserves!!! I still would like to go through this and I believe we can, although Milan do admittedly have the better back-up team

Well heres what my team would be: something similar to last week..

Zotti
Zebina Dellas Panucci
D'Agostino Tommasi De Rossi Dacourt Candela
Delvecchio Carew

Bench: Curci, Scurto, Mancini, Wahab, De Martino, Montella, Galloppa

orders would be that Montella comes on with 20-30 mins to go to regain fitness!!!! and that Dacourt does not play full match!!! And to give at least 1 primavera at least 2 mins of the match :rolleyes:

prediction: 1-0 Roma :D Dellas

#2 ·
Montella, as most know is out the next 4-6 weeks. Now have have a goalkeeper crisis as Pelizzoli is still injured, as well as Lupatelli of course, and now Zotti has come down with the flu and will probably not be ready for Thursday night. Looks like Primavera keeper Curci will be thrown into the fire against Milan for his Roma debut.

#3 ·
This probably deserves its own thread, but I'd sure like to know what's up w/ Lupatelli.
Our GK situation is a wreck. Peli is injured and Zotti is ill. It's a scary situation to be in. Makes one realize how you take the GK for granted.

#4 ·
Carew: Roma's Awakened Giant

Roma against Milan, who return to the Olimpico for the Coppa Italia, could again point towards John Carew to finalize the giallorosso attacks. Complicated again is the new injury suffered by Montella who remains out, the Norwegian could line up beside Delvecchio with D'Agostino to complete the offensive unit. Cassano will be serving his fourth and last disqualification of the tournament (missing will be Zebina as well), whereas Totti will likely not be called or the maximum will sit on the bench.

Coming into Roma without knowing what to expect, Carew has found himself as an important reference point in the attacking unit for I giallorossi. And after scoring two consecutive goals (at Perugia and Sunday against Samp), the Norwegian would also liked to be remembered for scoring the 2-1 goal by Roma in the first leg against Milan. "The stadium should be full and this is a good aspect for us, we have to forget about the game one week again, forget all the negatives and only think positively. We played good despite the loss, Thursday we will have to pass the round." Because Roma do not wish to give up in the Coppa Italia.

"I really hope that we will be able to give the public a beautiful match and we're hoping to win." It's clear that the priority remains the championship and that Carew doesn't boast, despite the record number of points, as they risk losing the train. "We started well," explains the attacker, "Milan and Juve are right behind us and will not give up. But if we continue like this we can do well."

He's more than of his Roman experience thus far. Roma is first, he likes how they play and above all because there is Totti. "What great goals were scored by our captain," he says with satisfaction, "we were all happy above all for the second. What did I say? Not bad..." He smiles, even because the equalizing goal was by him. "I am happy because my goal was revealed to be important and then we won. At Roma I'm really good, I feel at home. It's a great experience for my career. A dream. The future? I don't want to talk about it now. The society will organize everything and we will talk about it when everything will be defined."

There is little doubt as to where if given the choice where he would stay, Roma or in Spain. "Here there is more pressure. The public is more hot and playing here is much more hard and physical. For a player to play in Italy is the most difficult test. At the beginning I didn't think I would play this much, but I was always confident I would give a contribution" A test that, at least for another month, he continues to find a spot on the first team. But to Montella Carew hopes that he will make a speedy recovery. "I feel bad for what he has gone through," he says, "I hope that he returns quickly, he's an attacker of great value and is important for all of us to be 100 per cent in hopes that we finish the season in the best way."

Thursday Carew should be on the field from the first minute. Other than the forfeit by Montella, Capello has again found another terrible surprise: Zotti was out with the flu whereas Pelizzoli is suffering from a muscular problem. On call is the youngster Gianluca Curci (class '85) keeper from the primavera of Alberto De Rossi alternate is another, Mauro Rasera (84) who for the first team should be the second keeper.

#6 ·
30 AMANTINO
32 CANDELA
23 CAREW
21 D'AGOSTINO
15 DACOURT
24 DELVECCHIO
27 DE ROSSI
31 DELLAS
8 LIMA
2 PANUCCI
19 SAMUEL
17 TOMMASI
10 TOTTI
35 CURCI
29 SCURTO
28 WAHAB
34 CORVIA
25 CERCI
36 RASERA
38 BOSNJAKU

From that offical squad this is what I think the team will be:
Curci
Panucci Dellas Samuel
D'Agostino Tomassi De Rossi Dacourt Candela
Delvecchio Carew

bench: Rasera, Scurto, Lima, Wahab, Mancini, Totti, Corvia

I have no idea who Bosnjaku is... hes not even on the primavera lsts, maybe he is a goalie we have bought :confused:

#7 ·
Totti AND Sheva both on the bench as RaiUno Text said!

Zotti
Panucci,Samuel,Dellas,Candela
Tommasi,De Rossi,Lima
D'Agostino
Delvecchio,Carew

(Curci,Wahab,Totti,Dacourt,Amantino,Cerci,Scurto)

dida
simic,nesta,costacurta,pancaro
brocchi,redondo,ambrosini,serginho,seedorf
tomasson

(sheva,fiori,gattuso,laursen,pirlo,boriello,cafu)

#8 ·
Zotti is not in the sqaud, so he cant play

stats of the youth players from the squad:

Curci - Primavera goalie... 18 years old
Scurto - Defender... Italian U20 International ... 20 years old
Wahab - Midfielder ... 19 years old
Corvia ... attacker... Italian U20 International ... 19 years old
Cerci ... attacker .... 16 years old
Rasera ... goalkeeper .... 19 years old

#13 ·
Here's the line-up according to La Gazzetta Dello Sport

Roma (4-4-2)

-------------------Curci----------------------

Panucci-------Dellas-------Samuel-------Candela

D'Agostino------De Rossi------Tommasi------Lima

--------Carew-----------------Delvecchio-------

I am very disappointed with this line-up. I don't like using D'Agostino on the right and wish he was playing as a trequartista. And the 4 man backline wastes Samuel's abilities because The Wall rather play in the 3 man defense where he is more free to roam in front of the keeper. It just doesn't appear to be an attack minded line-up, I could be wrong though.

Note: Totti is on the bench, just in case.;)

#15 · (Edited)
I am reading about the action minute by minute (in Italian) on www.gazzetta.it. Last minute changes....Mancini starts at right wing and D'Agostino moves to forward and replaces Carew.

#17 ·
I'm watching the match. Roma is playing:

Zotti
Dellas Panucci Samuel Candela
D'Agostino DeRossi Tommasi Lima
Mancini Delvecchio

It's been a rather colorless first half. Dellas has been our best player - he's looking really sure-footed at right back. D'Ago has been our most underused player. He looks whenever he touches the ball, but is being suppressed on the wing. Still, Roma lead 5-1 on corners and D'Ago's left foot looks dangerous. DeRossi almost scored on a corner kick reflection. Mancini has made two nice runs. All of our danger has stemmed from our right side. Our central midfield has done pretty well but our attack is so lopsided. The opposition knows Lima will give it away. We just need some more creativity/strikers on the pitch. Milan starting looking dangerous at end of first half. We need 1 goal to shut down shop. But can we get it?

#18 ·
It's done. 1-0 milan.

#23 ·
Congrats to Milan. Again 2-1. What can you say? We don't match up with this team. Nothing positive to say here, except its one competition less to play which may help our Scudetto chances. But thats just weak....I can't believe we lost all 3 freakin games to these punks this month.

#25 ·
We didn't play that bad, definitely weren't outplayed by Milan, but bad finishing and some defensive mistakes lead to the loss. In the first 30 minutes we had all the possession but didn't really create much with it. Delvecchio wasted every single ball that got to him, he's in really awful form. The best player in that period and in the whole game was Mancini, he was played in a strange psitioon by Cap, but did very well and created most of our chances, the biggest one was his great pass to Delvecchio to hit a volley all alone in the box, but Delvecchio missed the target. Then Milan equaled play, last 15 minutes of the half were boring, mostly midfield struggle.
At the start of the second half Milan struck, goal by Nesta off a cross just after the previous header by Laursen was cleared from the line by D'Agostino. Tomassi was beaten by Nesta on that occasion for the header, could've been a foul, but it was not given. Anyway, the gola shocked our team, soon the second one came, Tomasson made Panucci look like a fool, Zotti looked also at fault at there. The tie was over, Milan went back, we tried to get at least a goal and succeeded through Mancini, who really deserved it for being by far our best player on the night, nice pass by Dacourt who came in for Tomassi(who was disappointing).

De Rossi was really disappointing for me in this game, he run a lot but didn't tackle well and when he got the ball looked confused and disoriented, thus made way too many wrong passes and simple mistakes. D'Agostino looked decent, but I can't understand why he's used on the right when his better foot is obviously the left one. Lima sucked as usual, Candella looks to be improving with every game though, he made some nice runs and it's good to see a leftback who can actually control the ball with ease and pass well for a change.

I am not really disappointed with the Cup elimination, I've said from the beginning I prefer to concentrate on the Seria A games and to lesser extend UEFA CUp, our squad is too small to succeed in 3 competitions in one season. It hurts to lose again to Milan, but I prefer to let them struggle in the Cup and beat them when it matters-in the Scudetto race.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.