Xtratime Community banner

41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Seems incredible that red so often speaks with random Italians about Coppa Italia considering how unimportant it is.

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
Yeah, like 25 times in 40 years

That was football fans BTW, who I know well and drink beer with etc

Not so incredible really, when you think about it

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
May be a strong word but now it does get incredible, or just very impressive - you being able to remember drunken conversations from 30-40 years back about something as meaningless as Coppa Italia :D I may only have discussed that 2 or 3 times in 40 years even with my best friends who’re into Italian football.

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
Are you suggesting that invalidates my experience ? Or just that I am lying?

You may not know this, but every Italian team plays in the Coppa every season, so the chances of it coming up in a conversation about Italian football with an Italian football fan are quite high.

Counter-intuitive, I know, but life is funny that way

·
Registered
10,087 Posts
Are you suggesting that invalidates my experience ? Or just that I am lying?

You may not know this, but every Italian team plays in the Coppa every season, so the chances of it coming up in a conversation about Italian football with an Italian football fan are quite high.

Counter-intuitive, I know, but life is funny that way
Don’t take offence, red, it’s just that most people try to avoid topics they find utterly meaningless, whereas you often seem to discuss it both here and irl. Fair enough I guess :)

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
By the way, my point
Don’t take offence, red, it’s just that most people try to avoid topics they find utterly meaningless, whereas you often seem discuss it both here and irl. Fair enough I guess :)
Not offended. You and most of the Milan forum are amicable, likeable, can take a joke.

Unlike our friends on the Juve forum.

A good person to ask about the overall importance of the Coppa would be Toni. He might see this thread.

The Coppa is clearly not meaningless. I may have said that at one time or another in a hyperbolic sense, but I am entirely willing to accept that it is a big deal for smaller clubs or even bigger clubs when they are having an off season. I would have happily taken the Coppa in any of the last 9 seasons, but especially so in the ones where Inter were total sh*te and had no chance of winning Serie A or getting a CL place.

However, a Roman friend of mine (Roma fan) put it well this morning (I texted him, he replied):

'It's got history to it, but it's at the bottom of every big team's list. Roma fans tend to give importance to the Coppa Italia only when Roma get to the semi-final. Or when Roma is out from all the other competitions'.

I think that perfectly sums up the attitude I have heard from Italians over the years, which is reflected in my own attitude to the Coppa.

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
What if we 'sacrifice' EL and juve end up stealing the league as expected?

Look, our chances of winning EL are better than our chances of winning Serie A
Re: the 'reserve' team thing....

I suppose we could go:

Padelli - Rannochia - D'Ambrosio - Bastoni - Moses - Gagliardini - Vecino - Sensi? - Biraghi - Esposito - Sanchez

Maybe that counts as a reserve team, I don't know. It's actually not a bad team IMO.

TBH that is probably the team I would field next week in the EL

Putting more strain on the likes of Brozo, Skriniar, Lukaku etc. just seems silly to me.

Also: I totally disagree that the league is rigged in Juve's favour or that EL is easier to win (we are top of Serie A).

People: We are top of Serie A in MID-FEBRUARY FFS. That is insane. The EL, like any cup competition, will throw massive curve balls at us: weird styles of football, hungry young teams that want to take an Inter scalp at all costs, ultra-fas+physical EPL teams etc etc etc

ANYWAY, the next 3 weeks in Serie A will shape the rest of the season.

If we lose to Lazio+Juve then the Scudetto challenge is over IMO.

At that point it is fair to concentrate on EL.

If we are unbeaten in those games we have a chance of the Scudetto. If we get 4 points we are right in it. If we somehow get 6 points (almost impossible), then we are Scudetto favourites.

Anyway,

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
From my friend Fausto (Torino fan from Turin) this morning:

"Coppa Italia is not really important in Italy. But of course, if you win you go directly to Europa League. Every year they try to change it to make it more interesting , but at the end, the competition starts in the semi-finals."

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
From my friend Daniele, Roma fan, lives in Rome this morning:

Question: "How relevant to you as a fan is the Coppa and how relevant to Italian public in general?"

Answer: " 0 "

:LOL:

HOWEVER, I noticed that Fulvio Santucci, a Milan-based journo/commentator who works with Nima Tavelley's SempreInter/StudioInter, and who is a great analyst of Inter, said in the last StudioInter podcast that the Coppa should be "Inter's priority' from the semi-stage, since it is the best chance of a trophy.

This probably echoes Ahmed's and Laudrup's opinions.

And is also pragmatic/logical.

But please let's not pretend that this 'playing down' the important of the Coppa is some extreme, minority view.

It absolutely isn't. It is widespread.

In the same way, the FA Cup has recently been devalued quite a lot. Most Liverpool fans I talk to say their team has not really tried to win it the last couple of years because of the extreme push for the CL and EPL

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
Last thing I will say on this topic (I am working on a Sunday and procrastinating, hence all the posts here on the forum)

It only makes sense to field a 100% full-strength team away to Napoli on March 3rd.

I think Napoli will give 10,000% in that game as it is their only chance to somewhat salvage a terrible season. HOWEVER I think they will ultimately capitalize on Inter's very tough run of fixtures (Milan, Lazio, Samp, Juve, EL x2 all in the space of 1 month=insane).

I think, ultimately, Napoli will likely go through. But they often play poorly at home and that game is in theory winnable.

·
Registered
43,661 Posts
We're already this far in the Coppa so we might as well go for it. I also think it would be very good to get at least some silverware since it might serve as a launchpad. I felt the same way about the Coppa in 04/05 where Mancini was creating the foundations of a winning team. After many draws (lol), I think we had the best defensive record in the league for the 2nd half of the season and the Coppa win validated the project (further supported by the Supercoppa win after that).

·
Registered
57,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Well regardless of what happens against juve on March 1, a full strength Inter side will be fielded at San Paolo afterwards on March the 5th. Sucks that we have 2 such tough games in a row, alas...

I feel the refereeing treatment in EL would be fairer compared to Serie A, purely as there's no corrupt piece of shit club called juve in EL. It's a level playing field. Is it in Serie A? No.

Not saying that EL is easy or that we will win it - we may not of course. But it should be taken seriously.

In fact, we really need to get a good result in Bulgaria this Thursday coming seeing as the return leg in Milano precedes the trip to Turin. So I would field a STRONGER team in Bulgaria compared to the 2nd leg. So play full strength in Bulgaria, then rotate in Milano if we get a positive result in Bulgaria.

Rigged is a big word, but we have dropped points due to bad refereeing this season in more than 1 game, and juve have won points in 4-5 matches due to help. May be it's 'luck', may be it's psychological 'slavery'

·
Registered
57,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
We're already this far in the Coppa so we might as well go for it. I also think it would be very good to get at least some silverware since it might serve as a launchpad. I felt the same way about the Coppa in 04/05 where Mancini was creating the foundations of a winning team. After many draws (lol), I think we had the best defensive record in the league for the 2nd half of the season and the Coppa win validated the project (further supported by the Supercoppa win after that).
Yes the 2005 Coppa was memorable indeed. I remember being extremely happy when we won it.. And the Meazza was a full house in the final return leg (Miha winning fk)

We played good football that season, 442, attacking football... but defensively...

I think the defence improved when Samuel was signed the following season mainly, and then in 06-07 when Mancio became more pragmatic and started to field 3-4 central mids together and play 4312 not 442. We became more solid.

·
Registered
57,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #55

·
Registered
57,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
With rubentus-Inter moved to May due to coronavirus, the trip to Napoli for the second leg of the Coppa semis on Thursday March the 5th becomes our next game. We do need a new thread starter though for that, as we lost the last Coppa game... red, you ended the San Paolo curse in the league so I suggest you do the Coppa thread.

Team should be well rested and ready for Napoli so this is an advantage from delaying the league match. Effectively it's a whole week between the Ludogorets game (where we already rested players anyhow) and the Napoli Coppa match. Playing juve in Turin and then Napoli at San Paolo 4 days later would have been pretty tough/tiring.

Of course delaying the league match favours juve more though - clearly they pressured the lega/ government to avoid playing without fans not to mention the ticket sales controversy - and means that we will play against juve (May 13), Napoli (May 17) and Atalanta (May 24) in the last 3 matches which is obviously ridiculous. But we won't win the league anyhow so better focus on cups.

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
Add Samp in there somehwere between May 17th and May 24th

·
Registered
57,697 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Do the Coppa thread dude!

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
Doubt the game will be played

·
Registered
15,535 Posts
Official: Napoli-Inter postponed
By Football Italia staff

Tomorrow’s Coppa Italia semi final second leg between Napoli and Inter has been postponed, as announced by the Prefect of the Campania region, Marco Valentini.
Tonight’s other semi final, between Juventus and Milan, was cancelled yesterday due to the sharp rise in Coronavirus deaths in Italy over the last several days.
Now it’s been made official that the clash between Napoli and Inter has also been postponed.
The Prefect of the region of Campania, Marco Valentini, took the decision this morning to cancel the game.
At this stage it’s unknown when the two semi finals will be played, adding to an ever-increasingly complicated situation for Italian clubs.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts