Xtratime Community banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
75th minute and no clear chances created.

Absolutely incredible.

To be fair Napoli have only had two

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
Ah well that's pretty much the end of the 'Coppa Dream' LOL

Nearly a goal for D'Ambro in the 94th but overall a stunningly awful performance.

Sensi x-rated again.

Brozo a physical wreck.

But it was to be expected.

Nonsense competition, the players are shattered after Milan, and Lazio are up Sunday.

Total waste of time.

·
Registered
57,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
red and his anti Coppa sentiments..

Obviously the club and Conte care about it, and there were 60k in the stands I believe last night. So clearly red is in a tiny minority.

Even juve and Milan tonight fielded pretty much full strength sides in the other semifinal.

Serie A is still long, it won't be decided if Inter win or lose or draw on Sunday but Coppa is much shorter and honestly, I would take a season of finishing second/third and winning Coppa or EL and consider it a good start under Conte.

Anyhow I doubt we will win at San Paolo twice in the same season. And honestly our win there this season was down to Napoli gifts. They didn't give away any last night. Who knows though, let's hope for a Pazza Inter comeback.

Ruiz seems like having a knack of scoring against us. This goal is not the first time Brozovic is exposed, imo a pure dm is a summer priority even if we sign no one else.

While I disagree with red about the Coppa's importance but yeah I agree that aside from the late DD chance, Ospina just had to make routine saves. Our players lacked accuracy/precision. Either the shots were off target (Lautaro a couple of times, Biraghi fk, Eriksen) or straight at Ospina (Brozovic, Lautaro, Lukaku..)

Sucks to lose at home without scoring a goal especially when this Napoli conceded 3 against Lecce a few days ago, but I agree that the timing of this semi right after the derby wasn't good for us at all. Shitty schedule.

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
red and his anti Coppa sentiments..

So clearly red is in a tiny minority.

Obviously when the team gets to the semis of a competition it is stupid not to try and win it, especially when you have a chance of a Double at the end of the season.

But every Italian I've ever met - and I personally know maybe 20 to 30 Italian football fans from Milan, Florence, Rome, Palermo, Torino, Napoli i.e. a diverse and large enough sample size, especially when 100% of them say the same thing about the Coppa - agrees the Coppa is a lower-priority competition and always has been.

It can hardly be considered a MORE serious competition now that big teams are allowed to sleepwalk into the semis.

And if the Coppa is such a big deal, why did the players on both sides sleepwalk through the game like it was a summer friendly?? Why it take till the 94th minute to create a clear chance against this poor Napoli side? Do you honestly think we will have to wait till the 94th minute to create a chance when we play Napoli in Meazza in May in Serie A?

We all know Juve are obsessed with the idea of a Treble, so they will continue to play their starting 11 in the Coppa - that is a given. They also have the depth to do so, since they have 3 midfields and 2 defences.

Anyway, this discussion is fairly pointless. The players didn't play with intensity - that is a fact - and we are most likely out of the competition.

With a stronger, deeper squad we can perhaps challenge on 3 fronts next season, but this season their is only sufficient depth for one: Serie A.

·
inbred amoeba
3,230 Posts
Would you guys be interested in going deep into EL?

I might be traveling to Razgrad for the game next week. Is anyone coming? I can give you a lift from Sofia and back.

·
Registered
57,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Would you guys be interested in going deep into EL?

I might be traveling to Razgrad for the game next week. Is anyone coming? I can give you a lift from Sofia and back.
I would like to see us go far in the Europa League, Nacka also cares about EL I believe - but red and firdy don't care about EL.

Thanks for the offer, I will stick to TV though. But we would appreciate to see your posts after the match, take pics and share anecdotes here on XT.

·
Registered
57,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Obviously when the team gets to the semis of a competition it is stupid not to try and win it, especially when you have a chance of a Double at the end of the season.

But every Italian I've ever met - and I personally know maybe 20 to 30 Italian football fans from Milan, Florence, Rome, Palermo, Torino, Napoli i.e. a diverse and large enough sample size, especially when 100% of them say the same thing about the Coppa - agrees the Coppa is a lower-priority competition and always has been.

It can hardly be considered a MORE serious competition now that big teams are allowed to sleepwalk into the semis.

And if the Coppa is such a big deal, why did the players on both sides sleepwalk through the game like it was a summer friendly?? Why it take till the 94th minute to create a clear chance against this poor Napoli side? Do you honestly think we will have to wait till the 94th minute to create a chance when we play Napoli in Meazza in May in Serie A?

We all know Juve are obsessed with the idea of a Treble, so they will continue to play their starting 11 in the Coppa - that is a given. They also have the depth to do so, since they have 3 midfields and 2 defences.

Anyway, this discussion is fairly pointless. The players didn't play with intensity - that is a fact - and we are most likely out of the competition.

With a stronger, deeper squad we can perhaps challenge on 3 fronts next season, but this season their is only sufficient depth for one: Serie A.
With all due respect to you and your 30 Italian friends, but we saw 60k attend Inter-Napoli and an even bigger crowd in Milan-juve.

Milan-Juve sets attendance record | Football Italia

130k over 2 evenings at the San Siro as opposed to 30, the bigger sampler here is clearly obvious.

I don't know who the people you met support but if for instance someone is from Palermo and supports Palermo, I am sure they would care a great deal about Coppa. If you go back to the Coppa final we won in 2011 against Palermo, I believe both Miccoli and Delio Rossi were in tears after Palermo lost that final. So yeah, it does matter.

I am pretty sure a Fiorentina fan would literally kill for winning anything, same for a Torino fan for instance. Those clubs have not won anything in a while. I very much doubt they would dismiss Coppa as a nothing trophy.

Out of the 3 competitions we are involved in this season at the moment, Serie A is the most difficult and most unrealistic to win. Already we should have had 6 points more but refereeing stopped us (while gifting 10-12 point to juve), and that indicates to me that we won't be allowed to win it. We should be comfortably ahead by now, yet we are joint top and risk being 3rd tomorrow. We dropped points in some matches due to our faults, admittedly, while in others we dropped points due to shitty refereeing.

If we were awarded 2 penalties against Parma, we would have won. If we were awarded a penalty against Cagliari while leading 1-0, we would have won. If Donati got sent off and left Lecce to play with 10 for 70 minutes, we would have won. 6 points right there. 3 draws would have turned to 3 wins with fair, proper officiating.

You said that the players didn't care enough against Napoli that is why we only had that late chance. Ok explain to me then why we put 4 past Cagliari and 2 past Fiorentina in earlier rounds in Coppa - better results in comparison to our league results against Cagliari and Fiorentina this season, actually! we scored 6 goals in 2 matches without caring? or did we care more in last 16 and last 8 compared to semi-final? obviously not..

You could argue that the derby affected us against Napoli, though.

juve currently don't have '3 midfields and 2 defences', they let go of Emre Can without signing a central midfielder in his place, Kheidra is injured, same for Chiellini, Demiral, not to mention Costa and Bernardeschi being injured too (in terms of attacking players)

Napoli's performance in Coppa was much better in terms of solidity compared to their performance at San Paolo when they gifted us 3 goals in Serie A. Unless you think football is only about creating chances? Sure Napoli created more in the league game than they did in Coppa, but in Coppa they were more compact without making glaring mistakes in defence.

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
With all due respect to you and your 30 Italian friends, but we saw 60k attend Inter-Napoli and an even bigger crowd in Milan-juve.
This is not how statistics work. You can't use a 100% biased sample size, i.e. a crowd made up of 100% Inter fans who attend the Coppa.

And if, say, 90% of Italians worldwide think the Coppa is an important competition then, ideally, 27 of the 30 Italians I have randomly met over my lifetime should have said it was important, rather than 0. Obviously you then have to factor in sampling error, one of the most important aspects of random sampling. But even if then it would have to a farcically large sampling error.

However, I agree with some of those other points and some are fair.

And I honestly, I don't feel like arguing about this, since we have done so many times

I agree the players should have tried to win the game instead of coasting on auto-pilot and I was disappointed with the result and performance.

As for Juve, OK not quite 3 midfields, but 7 players for 3 positions: Khedira, Pjanic, Bentancur, Rabiot, Matuidi, Ramsey, Bernardeschi.

It is pretty damn deep squad depth

·
Registered
57,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah let's agree to disagree about the Cups...

Until you belittle the EL next week and I argue with you, of course. :D

·
Registered
43,517 Posts
Ideally, we'd want to win all cups. But based on timing and resources, we have to make choices. If it's crunch time and securing a CL spot looks iffy while we have a tough run of fixtures, then a sacrifice may have to be made. You have to take a position and consider the opportunity cost. We can't pretend that that doesn't exist.

In 09/10, our squad had pretty decent rotation options. We were doing well in all competitions. Even then, our Serie A form suffered towards the end.

In recent years, our options haven't been very good at all. This season, injuries have made things even worse. At this stage, I'd say we play more subs in the EL and focus on Serie A and the Coppa Italia.

·
Registered
15,441 Posts
Ideally, we'd want to win all cups. But based on timing and resources, we have to make choices. If it's crunch time and securing a CL spot looks iffy while we have a tough run of fixtures, then a sacrifice may have to be made. You have to take a position and consider the opportunity cost. We can't pretend that that doesn't exist.

In 09/10, our squad had pretty decent rotation options. We were doing well in all competitions. Even then, our Serie A form suffered towards the end.

In recent years, our options haven't been very good at all. This season, injuries have made things even worse. At this stage, I'd say we play more subs in the EL and focus on Serie A and the Coppa Italia.

Agree 10,000,000% with this.

Reserves in EL please.

·
Registered
57,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What if we 'sacrifice' EL and juve end up stealing the league as expected?

Look, our chances of winning EL are better than our chances of winning Serie A, so playing reserves in EL is a silly idea. Rotation, sure, change 3-4 players, perhaps go with Lautaro-Alexis and rest Lukaku, rest Godin and play Bastoni… normal things like that. But we should field a decent enough side in EL and should take it seriously. 100%

I am sure Conte will anyhow.

We are pretty much guaranteed CL football next season Firdy, 5th place Roma are 15 points behind us. Fifteen. We are no longer in the past 2 seasons of struggling to make CL.

·
Registered
57,644 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I guess there's an Inter supporters club in Bulgaria.

I recall reading that the management of Ludogorets made the tickets quite expensive by Bulgarian standards.

·
Registered
43,517 Posts
What if we 'sacrifice' EL and juve end up stealing the league as expected?
That's like asking what's the point in using a condom when it might break.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts