Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
58,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well no one started a thread for last night's match against Cagliari so I am morally obliged to do it because the Coppa Italia MATTERS. Winning it in 2004-2005 - particularly - brought me great joy. And if we go on and win it this season it would be great to end the drought.

Might as well do 1 thread for the Cup instead of single threads for matches

We won fairly comfortably last evening. Scored 4, should have scored 3-4 more.

Cagliari basically gave us a generous head start with the assist to Lukaku in less than 1 minute.

Barella with 2 assists against his ex club, good crosses. He assisted Lukaku for a headed goal like the Milan derby earlier this season.

Valero scored his first ever goal for Inter in Milano as his other goals were scored away.

Ranocchia the 14th different scorer for Inter this season in all competitions, good figure.

Good to see Biraghi assist.

De vrij, Candreva and Lautaro fully rested. The Frog, Dimarco, Lazaro and Esposito (off the bench) got an opportunity to play and Alexis was also back playing after ages (**** Cuadrado) so lots of positives. Good that the match did not go to ET, too. In fact Inter kinda stopped playing after an hour and Cagliari started to get into the game. Nainggolan hit the post and they scored a good goal. Well worked.

Only negatives imo are not using Padelli at all and that Lukaku played a full match.

Loved seeing the great Massimo Moratti in the stands. He no longer owns Inter, but he is Inter personified. Forza Massimo, per sempre Uno di noi

Forza Inter.

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
It was a great performance.

But the team almost always plays well with Barella in the line-up. For me he's more important than Sensi.

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
Dimarco was many people's MoM BTW

I like his play and have done every time I've seen him.

But he is apparently going to Verona on loan as soon as Spinzzaola is signed

·
Registered
44,803 Posts
Barella with 2 assists against his ex club, good crosses. He assisted Lukaku for a headed goal like the Milan derby earlier this season.
Hell yeah. I'm glad you mentioned it. His first game back from injury wasn't great (understandable) but he looks like he's regaining some form quite quickly. Very encouraging.

·
Registered
44,803 Posts
Dimarco was many people's MoM BTW

I like his play and have done every time I've seen him.

But he is apparently going to Verona on loan as soon as Spinzzaola is signed
I wasn't impressed with him before but he certainly showed quality in this match.

·
Registered
58,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Another Coppa win, this time at the expense of Fiorentina. Glad we got a bit of revenge on them after they drew with us in Serie A earlier this season at the death.

Rather average/uninspired first half til we scored after some quick exchange of passes with the ball landing at Candreva's foot. Started the second half VERY well, should have made it 2 as Lautaro, Alexis, Vecino and Bastoni all had chances only for Viola to equalize. I was like.. here we go again... from 1-0 to 1-1 just like Atalanta, Lecce and Cagliari.

Thankfully Barella had a Verona moment to save us.

Lautaro involved in both our goals. His one touch pass to Vecino leading to the second goal was nice. Quick thinking.

good thing it didn't go to ET, we didn't need that.

·
Registered
58,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Barella: 'I don't do easy goals!'

By Football Italia staff

Nicolò Barella joked that he only scores difficult goals, as Inter pushed past Fiorentina 2-1 to set up a Coppa Italia semi-final with Napoli.

The young Italy international scored the winner after Antonio Candreva and Martin Caceres goals, a scorching volley from the edge of the box.

“I tried and it went right into the far bottom corner. I must learn to score easier goals,” smiled Barella on Rai Sport.

“We deserved this victory and the qualification to the Coppa Italia semi-final. We must give more in Serie A, but we’ve also been a little unlucky in some circumstances. There’s time, it’s a long campaign.

“My adventure at Inter is going very well, everyone has faith in me and we are doing something important.”

This evening also saw Christian Eriksen make his debut for Inter after the €20m transfer from Tottenham Hotspur.

“He is world class and will raise the quality level of the whole squad. I hope he can soon make San Siro explode with joy,” concluded Barella.

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
I watched this yesterday, Barella played an amazing game regardless of the goal IMO. You really got an amazing midfield roster now, Barella - Sensi - Brozo - Eriksen - Vecino - Borja Valero - Gagliardini for three spots is very very solid.

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
I watched this yesterday, Barella played an amazing game regardless of the goal IMO. You really got an amazing midfield roster now, Barella - Sensi - Brozo - Eriksen - Vecino - Borja Valero - Gagliardini for three spots is very very solid.
There's still no really strong DM in there though.

And Brozovic has been a bit patchy this season. He's always fantastic and the start of the season but then drops off in the winter time.

I suppose at least now we have depth.

But the club will likely move for Castrovilli and maybe Tonali in the summer. Although Juve will likely get Tonali

·
Super Moderator
13,722 Posts
You don't necessarily need a super strong DM, though especially playing three in the back.

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
You don't necessarily need a super strong DM, though especially playing three in the back.
Fair point.

I think the midfield is balanced when Brozo and Sensi aren't physical wrecks and Barella is not injured/suspended. Then we can probably go toe to toe with anyone. But Sensi's injury record is so bad, Brozo never gets any rest and Barella can't always be relied upon.

Hopefully Eriksen becomes Mr. Reliable for us because it's rare the other 3 are all fit, full of energy and not suspended

·
Registered
58,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we do need a strong dm, someone physical and tough.

In the CL we played 6 matches and conceded 9 goals.

In 2020 we have 0 clean sheets in 6 matches played across Serie A and Coppa Italia. That is not good.

·
Registered
58,712 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
COPPA ITALIA, THE SEMI-FINAL DATES: INTER VS. NAPOLI
The first leg will take place at San Siro on 12 February, while the return fixture will be played on Thursday 5 March at the San Paolo

MILAN - Inter's 2-1 victory over Fiorentina saw the Nerazzurri qualify for the semi-finals of the Coppa Italia. Now, a two legged encounter against Napoli awaits.

Antonio Conte's side will take to the San Siro pitch for the first leg at 20:45 CET on Wednesday 12 February. The return fixture at the Stadio San Paolo in Naples will be played at 20:45 CET on Thursday 5 March. The winning side over the two legs will then face either Milan or Juventus in the final.

Due to Inter's involvement in the Coppa Italia, the kick-off time for the Serie A TIM match between Inter and Sassuolo on 8 March has been changed. This fixture will now take place at 15:00 CET instead of 12:30 CET.

COPPA ITALIA SEMI-FINALS

First legs (all times CET)
Wednesday 12 February 2020
20:45 Inter vs. Napoli
Thursday 13 February 2020
20:45 Milan vs. Juventus

Return legs (all times CET)
Wednesday 4 March 2020
20:45 Juventus vs. Milan
Thursday 5 March 2020
20:45 Napoli vs. Inter

---

schedule doesn't look good.

9 Feb:
Milan derby, against a Zlatan inspired Milan side in better form than us in 2020

12 Feb:
Coppa semis first leg v Napoli, big game and Napoli are on the up after wins against Lazio in Coppa and juve in campionato

16 Feb:
Lazio away, obviously a tough game against a team that is having a great season

20 Feb:
Ludogorets away, need a result, at least a scoring draw but ideally a win

Conte will have to rotate smartly while also fielding strong sides in Coppa and EL. Both cups should be taken seriously as imo our chances of winning either is better than winning Serie A. Let's hope we don't pick up injuries and players start recovering, an important period of the season is upcoming.

A new striker being signed today before the deadline is a must. Imagine if Alexis gets another injury, we'd have Lautaro, Lukaku (already fatigued) and Esposito for 2 positions in 3 competitions!

We will need a clean sheet in the home game v Napoli, and we can score there - though come March they will probably have Koulibaly back unlike the 1-3 game which he missed through injury. Would certainly take a 1-0 home win in the first leg.

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
Anyone watching Napoli?

I missed the first 25 mins

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
Typical Coppa game.

Players totally devoid of interest, 2 mph tempo , no energy, no enthusiasm.

Perfectly representative of the Coppa Italia.

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
LOL

Looks like Politano is coming on. He'll probably score.

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
God the passing has been X-rated.

Brozo, Sensi and Barella all in autpilot mode. So many mis-hit passes

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
Zielinski misses a sitter

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
LOL

Has all the intensity of a mid-July friendly in a World Cup year

Allowing the big teams a free pass to the semis hasn't worked

·
Registered
15,852 Posts
Deflected Fabian Ruiz goal

No way we are winning this.

Barella, Lautaro, Lukaku, Brozo all invisible this evening. Probably taking it easy with a view to Lazio on Sunday, which is fair enough

1 - 20 of 71 Posts