Xtratime Community banner
1 - 20 of 601 Posts

·
Senior Poster of the year 2007
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

FC BARCELONA vs ATHLETIC CLUB
Mestalla (València) | Wed, May 13 | 22:00 CET

What a final to make a tribute to this competition! The 2 clubs that have more titles will meet to decide which is the "King of Cups".

Barcelona reach the final with the Liga title almost in the pocket, but with the important absences of Iniesta, Henry, Márquez and Abidal, and accumulating games of high tension. Despite all this, Barcelona still are the big favourites to win the title.

For Athletic, this is the game of their lives. They've been waiting for this moment since 25 years ago, when the last great Athletic of Clemente beated Barcelona in a final played in Madrid. An example of all this is the euphoria that Bilbao, if not the whole Bizkaia, have been living all these weeks. Caparrós has rested all the players this weekend and they will try to add their 25th title to their history books.

The game will be tough, it's a final after all. In any case, a date to make history.

ARA I SEMPRE, SOM-HI BARÇA! GUANYEU PER NOSALTRES!

·
Registered
9,405 Posts
We're gotta win this title at all costs. With Iniesta and Henry definitely out Bojan is surely gonna get a starting spot.

I expect something like this:

Pinto
Alves-Puyol-Piqué-Sylvinho
Busquets
Xavi--------Keita
Messi-----------Bojan
Eto'o​

·
Registered
4,436 Posts
What will Pep do? I think he will field more or less the Cup-Team with a few changes...

Pinto
Alves - Puyol - Pique - Sylvinho
Busquets
Xavi - Keita
Messi - Bojan - Hleb​

·
Messiah
9,580 Posts
We're gotta win this title at all costs. With Iniesta and Henry definitely out Bojan is surely gonna get a starting spot.

I expect something like this:

Pinto
Busquets
Xavi--------Keita
Messi-----------Bojan
Eto'o​

Maybe Hleb instead of Bojan this time ?

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got a bad feeling tonight... I think that we would have beaten Villarreal, even playing wiht the subs and, even if we hadn't won the game, the sensation would have been totally different, since everyone would say that the team had rested our best players.

On the other hand, the team had to make an effort, which was useless at the end and, in this task, we lost our most important player at this moment.

So now we face this game without several key players and with a bad feeling. On the other hand, Athletic have prepared this final as if it was the game of their lives.

Don't get me wrong, we should win this game no matter how and we still have talent to do it, but the mental situation to face it may not be the best... as ridiculous as it sounds.

Now Guardiola, after he ****ed it up big this weekend with his stupid lineup, has the difficult task to prepare the heads of the players in order to achieve the title. I think it'd be horrible to lose this final now... I would feel really bad, I can tell you.

·
Seis Copas
5,517 Posts
Best believe Athletic will play their hearts out as this is the biggest trophy to them.

I'm with Carles' lineup. I was thinking maybe Hleb on the left to get him used to playing there for the remaining of La Liga and for the CL Final but I guess Bojan is a better finisher which is something badly needed for this match with the absence of Henry and Iniesta.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think Bojan should start this game... since perhaps he would also be a serious option to consider for the CL final, if Iniesta and Henry can't play that game.

I don't want to see Gudjhonsen around, that's for sure. For me, he's the Ezquerro of this generation... totally useless.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
I still can't believe freaking Bilbao rested players for this considering they are limited to Basque players. Jesus christ Pep what's wrong with you. I have really bad feeling for the rest of the season now that I cannot shake off. If we win maybe it would go away but this won't be easy.

·
Messiah
9,580 Posts
I think Bojan should start this game... since perhaps he would also be a serious option to consider for the CL final, if Iniesta and Henry can't play that game.

I don't want to see Gudjhonsen around, that's for sure. For me, he's the Ezquerro of this generation... totally useless.
You made me laugh even that i don't want to laugh today.

·
40,147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
About Athletic, knowing Caparrós and the way he prepared the semis against Sevilla (he also rested the whole team before playing them), I expect them to be really agressive. I don't expect them to sit down and wait, since Fernando Llorente, their key player in attack, is not the kind of player that runs in the counters.

On the other hand, Athletic will try to pressure all over the pitch and then hung balls for Llorente to see what he does, shooting on goal or keeping the ball with his body for the ones who come from the 2nd line.

The key is to keep the ball, which will be a difficult task without Iniesta and knowing that Xavi will probably have a special mark on him.

The more I think in today's game, the more angry I get.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Call me what you like but I seriously think Pep messed up the rest of our season tonight. If even I saw months ago that the Villareal game would be the game where our players could rest after the horrid nightmarish schedule then why couldn't he? As a coach he has a responsibility to the team - not the papers or even the audience. The league was in the bag already but he got caught up in the hype and his naivity shone through. Ferguson rested many of his key players. Ronaldo might be mad now but he will have forgotten it if/when he lifts the trophy on the 27'th while our players will be scratching their heads wondering where it gotten wrong. Heck even freaking Bilbao with only Basque players rested theirs. Us meanwhile have a squad full of internationals but we insist on playing with 12 players. How much did Caceres and Hleb cost? Who was responsible for their signings? Why don't they play?

I seriously feel sick. I have difficulty sleeping right now.

I honestly don't care about the draw as much as the fact he didn't even sub our key players in the game.

And then I hear rumours about replacing Eto'o with Forlan or Adebayor? Someone wake me up when this is over. This is too much right now.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Oh and to add to insult. Today Barca B missed promotion to Segunda and the handball team lost the league title.

Let's hope for a better finish to the season eh?

If Pep manage to win both these finals with this tired and depleted squad he is a true genius of the highest order.

·
Seis Copas
5,517 Posts
And then I hear rumours about replacing Eto'o with Forlan or Adebayor? Someone wake me up when this is over. This is too much right now.
I hope not! Even though Eto'o scored tonight but he's been inconsistent lately and missing sitters but I trust Eto'o and he'll rebound. I hate Forlan and I hope we steer away from him even though I'll admit he's been having a good scoring run lately, I believe he's one goal behind Eto'o's 28. And thank God Adebayor renewed his contract, I don't want him nowhere near Camp Nou!

·
Freedom for all
16,851 Posts
So Henry is definitely out, and now Iniesta is all but out as well? I don't know...this doesn't look particularly good. Even with the fatigue we must be feeling, I could expect us to just about get the win. But without these missing players, against a team who will probably fight for their lives, we're going to be in for a real battle. They need to look to the other game and play our possession football and keep total concentration. We beat them 2-0 and it should have been about 25-0. They can rest afterwards.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Call me what you like but I seriously think Pep messed up the rest of our season tonight.
It's his first season at this level, it's been a glorious season, and we should be very, very thankful to him for restoring a massive mess.

And Pep didn't really mess up anything. Pique and Puyol failed to deal with a simple ball over the top, and Iniesta's injury was unfortunate (maybe as a result of muscle fatigue, but we don't know that yet).

As a coach he has a responsibility to the team - not the papers or even the audience. The league was in the bag already but he got caught up in the hype and his naivity shone through.
He obviously believes that momentum is very important, and he wanted to keep everything going smoothly. The players relaxed, though, and let him down. Partly his fault, but mostly theirs. Already celebrating against one of the top teams in the league at half-time shows lack of focus.

Ferguson rested many of his key players.
Ferguson has been a manager for 30 years and knows his current squad like the back of his hand. He knows what they can and can't do, and is able to plan and trust them accordingly. Not the case with Pep.

·
Registered
6,487 Posts
Very excited for this match, nervous as usual, but excited.

It's been too long and I expect a tremendous match from both sides.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
messi shouldnt play , not because of injury , but because the boy is dead tired , he was the worst player yesterday alongside Abidal, give Hlep a chance -though for me 75% that he will screw this chance as well- but with our injury status we may have to play him in the CL final

i would go with this

Pinto
Busquets
Xavi--------Keita
Hlep----------- Eto'o
Bojan​

1 - 20 of 601 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.