Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for making a new thread just to say this, but maybe a few other non-US posters can congratulate the U.S.A's team in here too :)

Congratulations, it's turning out to be a historic tournament for US football. You fully deserved the win today, Bruce Arena in an outstanding coach and the US team showed something rarely seen in the tournament so far.

I had the pleasure of seeing America's youngsters souch as Donovan and Beasley in the 1999 youth world cup here in Auckland, and all my Croatian-NZ friends predicted a good generation coming up.

So to Oldsocfan and the other US supporters here, well done, you deserved it !

ps. maybe success here will get football out there in the US, it's a shame that the general public don't like the beutiful game.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, Ero! :star:

It's not easy to support the sport here in the States, with so many bashers around! This US team has made wonderful history and hopefully, will make a few more fans in this country! :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
You mean we have wonderful new found credibilty at last?!
LOL
Thanks mon.
;)
....one of my dad's cancer doc's is a Kiwi, and one an Aussie, so down under is respected here.
;)
LOL
Peace and good luck to the USA and Turkey!

"I fell in love with football as I would later fall in love with women: suddenly, uncritically, giving no thought to the pain it would bring" Nick Hornby (writer extraordinaire and soccer lover)

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what's the word on the street guys? celebrating or anything? Or doesn't anyone really give a crap?

·
Registered
144 Posts
Dobra dobre
LOL
I AM drinking 40 year old Bourbon(only American invented booze)
LOL

Actually, being in Southern California, there can trouble in some parts of town.
They seem to sometimes riot, win or lose, in these less affluent, heavily ethnic nieghborhoods.
Riot police was out.
Since Mexico lost, hope they don't anything stupid.

Like the L.A. Lakers public service ads said............... celebrate with respect.

Peace.
Out.

·
Registered
17,812 Posts
Ero said:
what's the word on the street guys? celebrating or anything? Or doesn't anyone really give a crap?
The game was shown at 2:25 am, Ero! ;)

No one celebrates on the streets here! They just drink themselves silly! :D

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had a six-pack of Carlsberg I had to drink now that Denmark is eliminated!:D Plus, it's 5:45 a.m. and I'm still up. That passes for celebratilng in my little town!:D :D

Oldplayer

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Bush was the Lucky Charm !!!!!!!!!!!!

President Bush called US team to wish them luck

JEONJU, South Korea, June 17 (AFP)

US President George W. Bush called the nation's football coach Bruce Arena to wish the team good luck ahead of their World Cup second-round match against Mexico here on Monday.
"The president called us today before the game. He basically wished us good luck," Arena said after the Americans had won 2-0 to earn a quarter-final meeting with Germany on Friday.p
Aside from a semi-final appearance at the first ever finals in 1930, Bruce Arena's team have broken new ground for a nation where 'soccer' is a poor relation to basketball, baseball and gridiron.

:cap:

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
Well, I think a lot of people are following the World Cup casually here. I was talking with two of my friends last night, and neither of them followed soccer before, but both remarked that they were hoping to beat the Mexican team, in order to torment the Krauts on Friday;)

Maybe Donovan and the rest of the team can be like Tiger Woods, in terms of bringing a larger audience to the sport.:)

·
Community Analyst
32,844 Posts
Congratulations indeed. Wish it hadn't been at the cost of Portugal's fortunes, but c'est la vie.

Go Yanks! Just a few more games...

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Bush was the Lucky Charm !!!!!!!!!!!!

colocolo said:
President Bush called US team to wish them luck

JEONJU, South Korea, June 17 (AFP)

US President George W. Bush called the nation's football coach Bruce Arena to wish the team good luck ahead of their World Cup second-round match against Mexico here on Monday.
"The president called us today before the game. He basically wished us good luck," Arena said after the Americans had won 2-0 to earn a quarter-final meeting with Germany on Friday.p
Aside from a semi-final appearance at the first ever finals in 1930, Bruce Arena's team have broken new ground for a nation where 'soccer' is a poor relation to basketball, baseball and gridiron.

:cap:
wow, his speech writers have been busy, and watching the WC. :)

·
Registered
370 Posts
I think that this maybe the begining of something special in terms of getting our country behind this team. Its very similar to what Lance Armstrong did during the tour de france. and Apollo Anton Ohno did for there respective sports. However both have faded a bit , however there is no regular skating league or cycling league here in the states. There is a soccer/football league that people will be able to follow after the world cup. This team has exceed all expectations and not very many people outside of this country thought we could get this far , and i hope that the ride doesnt end just yet. I honestly think we can beat them. I dont think they are any better then portugal. They have very dangerous players, but i think klose has been a bit overhyped , of his 5 goals i beleive 3 came against saudia arabia , i am not taking anything away from him but i dont think he is tha big of a threat compared to ballack. And if the germans are already looking at a spot in the semi's they can expect a surprise.

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,488 Posts
Guys..dont get your hopes so high in terms of public embrace of soccer in the US....
We had The WC here, a tremendous succesful enterprise..Yet 8 yrs later soccer still cant cut the cake..
This morning at work on purpose I left my radio on an american (english is what I mean) AM news and sports station here in Miami.....Would you believe that every half an hour on the sports section they talked about Tiger Woods heroics from yesterday..Yet they NEVER mentioned the US Win ?????
The soccer fans of this country..we are so ALONE !! Its pathetic.

:eek:

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
Oldsocfan said:

The game was shown at 2:25 am, Ero! ;)

No one celebrates on the streets here! They just drink themselves silly! :D

Not where I was OSF....It was 11:30p.m. and I had about 50 Portuguese Folks at my house BBQ, drinking, and pullin for the USA.........When the game was over we went into the streets yelling for about 20 minutes and to our astonishment the neighbors were watching the game and were loving our celebration although all decided to go to bed instead of keepin the party jumpin.......

·
Registered
11,166 Posts
Guys....when the game ended, I did a silent lap around my block with the US flag sticking out the window...I would have honked the horn but then I'd be arrested....:D

Thanks Ero...

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ero, are you a Central United fan?

BTW, I was watching Sky Sports News and they showed a small group of people celebrating in the streets. I think it was in Washington.

·
Registered
14,658 Posts
If the USA succeeds on Friday I think you will see some dancin in the streets and with "Dubya" calling Arena the thing is finally gettin some attention...

·
Registered
36,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
cory,

I played for Central a couple of seasons back, now two of my very good friends play there. I'm not really a fan, there's some bad politics at that club. How do you know about Central?

JureM,

nema frke, your team deserves it man :)

·
Registered
9,134 Posts
I read that there were over 4000 fans at the Columbus Crew stadium who watched the game live on a jumbotron:cool:

And there were almost a thousand in Kansas City and some other locations.

Soccer is growing:)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts