Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
59,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Champion of Argentina with River :shades:

Soccer-Simeone's River Plate win Argentine championship
Mon Jun 9, 2008 12:57am BST Email | Print | Share| Single Page| Recommend (0) [-] Text [+]

BUENOS AIRES, June 8 (Reuters) - River Plate won the Argentine Clausura championship with one match to spare on Sunday, beating Olimpo 2-1 with two goals from Diego Buonanotte.

The win took River four points clear of Estudiantes, who blew their chances by drawing 0-0 at home to Colon.

It was their first title in eight championships, considered an eternity for a club who traditionally vie for dominance with arch-rivals Boca Juniors, and the second for coach Diego Simeone in his short managerial career.

Simeone, 38, won his first Argentine championship in 2006 with Estudiantes, less than one year after retiring as a player. ( :eekani: )

Two separate championships -- the Apertura and Clausura -- are played in the Argentine season which does not have an overall champion.

River's last title was the Clausura in the 2003/04 season. They have 40 points from 18 games, with 12 wins and four draws.

Buonanotte, River's latest revelation and only 1.60 metres tall, opened the scoring in the 16th minute when he scored with an angled shot from the edge of the penalty area following a free kick on the left.

River were denied another 12 minutes later when Colon goalkeeper Jose Ramirez made a double save to deny Buonanotte and Sebastian Abreu.

Ramirez saved Colon again before the break when he parried Ariel Ortega's shot and turned Radamel Falcao Garcia's header onto the crossbar from the resulting corner.

Matias Abelairas forced another Ramirez save with a free kick on the hour before Olimpo's Josemir Lujambio equalised when he turned in Mauro Olivi's cross in the 66th minute.

But River regained the lead in the 78th minute when Ortega set up Buonanotte, who swept a first-time shot into the net.

Estudiantes were let down by poor finishing and an excellent performance by visiting goalkeeper Sebastian Blazquez against Colon.

Racing Club, considered one of the big five Buenos Aires clubs, stayed in the danger zone despite a 1-0 win, courtesy of Facundo Sava's 80th minute goal, over Huracan.

It was just their second victory of the championship and are 18th on the table. They are currently facing a play off with a second division team to keep their place in the top flight.

(Writing by Brian Homewood in Rio de Janeiro; Editing by Greg Stutchbury)

·
Registered
32,771 Posts
COngrats Cholo.

Would've made a nice assistant for Jose.

Not sure he's the right man for Inter as a head coach. Ever.

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
congrats simeone... :proud:

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Updates....

Diego Simeone is now Coaching San Lorenzo...

and Santiago Solari is playing there...

Check out the First Goal . :cool: (not too long ago)

[tub]lCskBdgfzKc[/tub]​

Good Luck to both.

·
Registered
59,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Catania have appointed Diego Simeone, interesting.

Diego Pablo Simeone è il nuovo allenatore del Catania

Il Calcio Catania S.p.A. comunica di aver affidato l’incarico di conduzione tecnica della prima squadra al signor Diego Pablo Simeone, vincolato contrattualmente fino al 30 giugno 2012. Il nuovo allenatore rossazzurro e gli uomini del suo staff verranno presentati ufficialmente alla stampa oggi alle 13, presso la sala conferenze della sede sociale.

---

Seems like Catania have a thing for former Inter players - Zenga, Mihajlovic and now Simeone. Zenga and Mihajlovic did well at Catania, hopefully Simeone will too.

·
The one who was Bella
20,196 Posts
An Argentine manager for an Argentine team, thats how it should be!.. they need a guy to speak thier language :howler:

I'm sure he'll do great! congratz!

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
I really hope that he'll do great and I think there is a very high chance he will do great. Argentine legend, the players will be raring to go for him. And some of the Argentines Catania has got can become real good if they start to work bit more and I guess Simeone can make them do it.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
They will also be playing Milan next weekend :) Hopefully Simeone can fire the boys up there.

·
Registered
45,393 Posts
Am I the only one who doesn't unreservedly love Simeone? I mean, I thought he was awesome while he was with us and was even against him leaving for Vieri...but he did have a part to play in our 5 May 2002 meltdown. I don't expect him to not score against us or anything but his name will always be associated with how we lost that day.

Losing that day isn't much of a deal at all because of what we've won since then. In fact, one can argue that losing back then set us up for the trophy haul (the birth of Calciopoli :righton: ). But that still doesn't mean we should be hailing someone who played a part in us losing a Scudetto. I'd rather thank Poborsky if it came to that. :stuckup:

That said, I'll like him a lot more if he starts doing us favours in the league. :righton:

·
Registered
59,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Shut it firdy.

Attachments

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Madrid: Atletico Madrid has hired former Argentina midfielder Diego Simeone as their new coach to replace the fired Gregorio Manzano.

Atletico said on Friday that Simeone has agreed to a contract until the end of the 2012-13 season.

"The Argentine coach accepted the club's offer on Thursday to take over for the rest of the season and the next," Atletico said in a statement. "He'll arrive on Monday to take charge of the team."

Getty Images

Simeone, who played for Atletico during their last championship-winning season in 1996, will be officially presented on Tuesday.

Manzano was fired on Thursday, a day after Atletico was eliminated from the Copa del Rey by third-tier Albacete.

Simeone is a former Atletico player who also led Estudiantes and River Plate to Argentine league titles. His appointment has been expected since he quit as coach of Racing Club earlier this week, even before Mazano was fired.

Atletico has struggled since the exit of South American strikers Sergio Aguero and Diego Forlan in the offseason, sitting 10th in the Spanish league and four points above the relegation zone.
http://ibnlive.in.com/news/atletico-madrid-hire-simeone-as-new-coach/214770-5-21.html
Watch him.

·
Registered
59,987 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Surprised noone bother to post this:

Simeone: 'One day I'll coach Inter'
By Football Italia staff

Atletico Madrid manager Diego Pablo Simeone insists “sooner or later, one day, I will be the Coach of Inter.”

The former midfielder wore the Nerazzurri jersey from 1997 to 1999 and has repeatedly been linked with the San Siro job.

“Sooner or later, one day, I will be the Coach of Inter,” Simeone told Sky Sport Italia this evening.

“I left many positive memories as a player at Sevilla, Lazio and Inter. This makes me believe that some day I could also be Coach of these teams.

“After all, it happened with Atletico Madrid. I did well here as a player and now I must do well as a Coach. We’ll see what destiny has to say.

“Will we meet again in Milan? Yes, certainly yes.”

Simeone, who is nicknamed Cholo, already worked in Serie A as a Coach with Catania from January to June 2011.

He also coached at Racing Club, Estudiantes, River Plate, San Lorenzo, Racing Club and from December 2011 Atletico Madrid.

---

Simeone has succeeded at every country he coached in, be it in Argentina, Italy and Spain. Wants to come here. Already knows Moratti and the club. He's Argie. Really - a no ****ing brainer!

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
If Strama doesn't get his act together then I hope Simeone replaces him.

·
Registered
8,038 Posts
He probably cost his team EL qualification with his blunder this week though. He did man up to his mistake though. So I wouldn't mind seeing him as a future coach, once we have a ton more money to afford him though.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts