Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 195 Posts

·
I Need More Cowbell!
7,047 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
NY/NJ Red Bull! Can it get more pathetic than that, really?

One thing's for certain though, the Bulls will finally look like the fairies that they are. It gives you wings!

·
Banned
82 Posts
By the way there is no more NJ in the team name :D:D it's Red Bull New York hey come on now better than a lot of other logos out there. Look at the Crew, and Rapids?!?! gay pride all the way :howler: :howler:

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
Ha ha ha ha! What a bunch of Red Bulls**t! :finger: :thmbdown: :howler:

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
PAULMAY said:
Yah I cant see that sticking as most of their fans come from New Jersey
Interesting fact. But Red Bull showed in Salzburg that they don't care about what fans want (and ban them from the stadium, if they protest), so they won't care about that as well.
On the other hand Red Bull fits perfectly to the image of how sports-events are done in the USA, at least according to what we know of it in Europe. ;) It's "show" all the way, and that's what Red Bull is searching for.

·
Registered
27,119 Posts
In addition to ownership of the club, Red Bull's deal with AEG includes naming rights for and a 50 percent ownership stake in the team's new stadium, which will be built in Harrison, N.J. Red Bull is also partnering with AEG in the construction of the facility. AEG will directly oversee construction and will be responsible for managing and booking the venue.
This is the funniest part of it the stadium is in New Jersey yet they took the NJ name out from the team. :lala:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Whos gonna be financially well off tho?!

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Red Bull, which has its North American headquarters in Santa Monica, Calif., bought the SV Wüstenrot Salzburg club last year and renamed it SV Red Bull Salzburg. After a change of management and an infusion of money, the once-struggling team is now in second place in Austria's first division.

Hey, I'm for it. If they want to put money into a team, who cares. It is the same thing as having corporate logos on every jersey in the world. I mean, I have a wolverhampton jersey with Doritos on it.

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
beerschot_fan said:
Red Bull, which has its North American headquarters in Santa Monica, Calif., bought the SV Wüstenrot Salzburg club last year and renamed it SV Red Bull Salzburg. After a change of management and an infusion of money, the once-struggling team is now in second place in Austria's first division.

Hey, I'm for it. If they want to put money into a team, who cares. It is the same thing as having corporate logos on every jersey in the world. I mean, I have a wolverhampton jersey with Doritos on it.
Well, they skipped the "SV" (meaning something like sports-club) from the name, changed logo and club-colours and basically deleted the history of the club formerly known as Austria Salzburg. In the USA it's common to do that, in Europe it's not.

Second place with 9 defeats after 25 rounds isn't really an achievement, but embarrassing for the other teams...

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Vaughany said:
Whos gonna be financially well off tho?!
Not New Jersey as they are getting 10 year Tax exempt on the property. So yes the New Jersey Tax payers are getting hosed. The Contractor Building the Stadium is a New York based firm. Alls they expect us to do is spend our Money there. Not Likely.

·
Registered
2,061 Posts
F50.6 said:
By the way there is no more NJ in the team name :D:D it's Red Bull New York hey come on now better than a lot of other logos out there. Look at the Crew, and Rapids?!?! gay pride all the way :howler: :howler:
your avatar looks familiar

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,444 Posts
N.J. officials seeing red over soccer team name change

By JANET FRANKSTON, Associated Press Writer

March 10, 2006

HARRISON, N.J. (AP) -- Red Bull's purchase of Major League Soccer's MetroStars is causing a stir in New Jersey. The team wants to be known as Red Bull New York, effectively disassociating itself from the Garden State, and that's not sitting well with state officials.

One is even threatening to boot the team from the Meadowlands, where it will play until a new stadium in Harrison is ready in 2008.

"Their new name may be Red Bull New York, but striking New Jersey from their name seems to be a different kind of bull altogether," said Brendan Gilfillan, a spokesman for Gov. Jon S. Corzine. "This is a team that sells its products in New Jersey, draws its fan base from New Jersey and receives funding from New Jersey."

U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg also urged Red Bull to reconsider in a letter sent Friday.

"Certainly you can ask your team's president and general manager, Alexi Lalas, himself a graduate of Rutgers, the State University of New Jersey, about the importance of 'Jersey Pride,"' Lautenberg wrote.

In fact, however, the MetroStars have not officially had New Jersey as part of their team name for several years. The team originally was known as the New York-New Jersey MetroStars, but the previous owners decided to streamline things by dropping the clumsy "New York-New Jersey" part prior to the 2003 season.

Lalas said Friday that the latest name change is not a slight against New Jersey. He said Austrian-based Red Bull, maker of the energy drink, is an international business, and New York is a better-known name than New Jersey.

"There are companies all over the world that recognize this point about New York," Lalas said. "Other teams that play in Giants Stadium also reflect this."

The reference to the New York Giants and New York Jets isn't relevant, said George Zoffinger, president and chief executive officer of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority. Zoffinger threatened to kick out the team, which has played at the Meadowlands through its 10-year existence.

"They will not play in our stadium unless they have New Jersey in their name,"
he said.

State legislators are also gearing up for a fight. On Friday, two Assembly members announced they are crafting legislation to pressure the team's owners "to give New Jersey the respect and courtesy" by including the state's name.

·
Registered
5,778 Posts
beerschot_fan said:

Damn Straight

Lets go RED BULLS!!!!!!

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
tgv325 said:
Well, they skipped the "SV" (meaning something like sports-club) from the name, changed logo and club-colours and basically deleted the history of the club formerly known as Austria Salzburg. In the USA it's common to do that, in Europe it's not.

Second place with 9 defeats after 25 rounds isn't really an achievement, but embarrassing for the other teams...
Well, its not like the Metros have any kin dof history to speak of, actually no on ein the MLS has any kind of history. And 2nd place, no matter what amount losses, its still second place;) Plus its a lot farther than relegation, which is where they were.

The Red Bull investement can only be good for the MLS and the team. The stadium project welcomes the money and the MLS and the team as well. I am sure that Red Bull will want the team to suceed.

a great deal for everyone involved.

·
Registered
69,067 Posts
Lalas was on the MSG Sportsdesk and he said its a positive move for the team and it was necessary in order for his plans of making the team a "super club". Also, he said the stadium will be delayed one year

1 - 20 of 195 Posts