Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
EXCLUSIVE EP TRANSLATION: Voetbal International, the biggest Dutch soccer magazine, interviewed Hossam Ghaly. The Egyptian vented his feelings without fear, and full of confidence EgyptianPlayers.com present an English translation...

"I am missing real trust from Ruud Gullit"

He can be as brilliant as he can be capricious and with that chancing character Hossam Ghaly (22) sometimes drives Ruud Gullit to desperation. The Feyenoord trainer doesn’t know what he has to do with the player who can grow to be one of the best midfielders in Europe. The Egyptian feels misunderstood in his role. "Hopefully Gullit knows after reading this interview how I feel and he will come and talk with me."

Last Sunday against Ajax you tried to play Galasek through his legs in your own half. The action failed and Ajax became dangerous because of that. Why don’t you play simple in that kind of situation, like trainer Ruud Gullit desires from you.

‘Please stop, I can’t hear that word anymore. I hate simple. When they tell me to "play simple," I am getting really nervous. Tell me, what is playing simple?’

Don’t lose the ball unnecessarily on the pitch.

‘Of course, but do you prevent that by playing simple? It also depends on your colleagues. How do they stand, move, can I play the ball? If that isn’t possible I have to go forward. To be honest I really don’t like playing simple. Why do you? I am a player who is always searching for a solution, not a man who plays the ball wide. Like I play at Feyenoord, I never get tired. I want to do more, be important, give the team attacking impulses. I am no Pascal Bosschaart, who plays without risk. I have to take initiative and yes, risk is the consequence. But explain to me what is football without risk? Then the game gets boring and nothing happens. I come from a culture where the people come to the stadium to see something. Get me, I do like one touch play, I like it a lot, but it has to be attacking. In Holland it is wide, wide, back, forward, wide, wide and back again. I am not charmed by that.’

But you play in a position where you can’t suffer any ball loss.

‘I know that like no one else does, but in Egypt I also played in that position. The difference is that I could play there my way. The trainers gave me trust which I paid back. I did everything: I defended, captured balls, but also found the solutions in attacks. I still remember that Feyenoord scouted me in an international tournament in Qatar. Even in front of Kaka, who now plays for AC Milan, I was chosen best player of the tournament. We won against Brazil, Norway, Chile and later on, during the World Cup for youngsters in Argentina, we beat Holland too. On base of my appearance in the Olympic squad of Egypt, Feyenoord took me to Rotterdam, but when I came here I never got the real confidence. At Feyenoord I only have to play wide balls. Simple! That is really hard for me, because playing that way is against my nature. Really oppressing it is. It feels like I play under pressure for 2 years already. When I get the ball on the pitch and I see a solution, I think: "Oh yes, don’t do that, I have to play simple." But that is just against my nature. That's why the people at Feyenoord haven’t seen the real Hossam Ghaly yet. I miss the confidence.’

Also from Ruud Gullit?

‘Yes, he does try to help me and I know he believes in me as a player, but he brings it at me in a wrong manner. I only hear what I may not do, but he never talks with me. A good conversation would do miracles. When I do something wrong on the pitch, Gullit and his assistant Zeljko Petrovic start shouting at me from the side. Especially away against Odd Grenland in the UEFA Cup it was horrible. ‘Hossam, Hossam, Hossam!’ I might have heard it a hundred times. In Holland they won’t stop talking, on the pitch and out of it. Also if the game is finished, everybody keeps talking about that one wrong ball or bad move. And that's while I am doing my best. In Egypt that is being said too, but less and in a different way. With more respect.’

Is a conversation with the trainer the solution

‘When Gullit talks with me and says: "Hossam, I have faith in you, do what you can, show it so even when you play less I will let you play," then I will go through the wall for the trainer. Bert van Marwijk didn’t give me that confidence either. He was a good trainer, but also never talked with me. Though he let me make my debut and later on I won my first team place and I have played the last 12 games from the competition well. Also this season started with me in the first team line-up, but I lost it after a ban (Ghaly got punished on base of TV-images for an elbow against Danny Mathijssen of Willem II). Now I lay there again because of the ban of Pascal Bosschaart, because he has to miss 3 games because of a red card. That is why I didn’t understand why I had to sit on the bench during the UEFA Cup match against Ferencvaros. Pascal wasn’t able to play the upcoming 3 league matches, so I thought that the trainer would start with me, so I could get some rhythm for the matches against NAC, Ajax and FC Groningen. That I wasn’t allowed to play in Boedapest disappointed me a lot.’

Why don’t you go to Ruud Gullit yourself?

‘That’s not the way I am. I know what the trainers will say. "Hossam, have patience, stay working hard, your time will come." Well I work hard and I train well, that’s what I think. No, to step forward to the trainer is not my character.’

You maybe have to change that character a bit.

‘I’d rather show it during training, on the base of that trainers have to line me up. To step to a trainer isn’t what Egyptian players would do. If you do that in our country colleagues think you are sliming. I don’t want that, because that is not me. Maybe Gullit after reading this interview will know how I feel and come and talk with me. I hope so.’

The fact that you were rejected from the first team line-up after 2 games, didn’t you have yourself to blame for that?

‘Yes, I have been stupid. I should have controlled myself against Willem II, but I got a kick and made myself off, after which I hit Danny Mathijssen. The referee could have given me red, but it wasn’t my intention to hit him. After the ban the trainer didn’t call me up any more. I was really surprised, because I did do well during those first 2 matches didn't I? I have lost a lot because of that stupid action. That's why the upcoming weeks will be the most important in my career.’

Because?

‘I have to show it now and that is why I feel some pressure. I am playing my 2nd year in Holland, I have to break through now. And that is going to happen, that's why I came to Holland. Against NAC and Ajax I played an ok match, now Sunday against FC Groningen and after that the trainer has to decide, Bosschaart or me. I have enough confidence to think I have to be in the Feyenoord 1st team. Time ticks on, I am almost 23.’

But you have a contract until 2007.

‘Yes I do, but it isn’t the aim that I won’t be a first team regular until 2006. You can’t look far ahead in a football career. What if I break my leg tomorrow? I live as a footballer day by day, here and now. I want to play now and I have to compel myself.’

According to your teammates you can become one of the best midfielders in Europe.

‘That is a great compliment and it gives me a lot of self confidence. I know that I can make it in Europe, that is a dream which I want to live. I have one big wish and that is to play for my dream team Arsenal some day. That club shows the most beautiful football in the world; technical, fast, one touch. I find it magnificent watching them play. Robin van Persie is lucky playing for such a huge team. That isn’t jealousy, Robin deserves the best. We get along together well, and above all he is one of the best players I have ever played with.’

Those same teammates find you sometimes unpredictable, because you for instance injured Salomon Kalou during a training.

‘When I train, I train as sharp as I am in a match. Then I do everything to win and when I tackle someone, I try to capture the ball. But I am hard and aggressive. That is my style, also during training.’

Last season you said you where just on 60 percent of your best. How much is that at this moment?

‘I am now somewhat better than at that time, so I think I am at 70 percent now. So I can get 30 percent better, even though it is hard to think you will get to your best, as so to get the 100 percent. That is impossible, you always do something wrong in a match. Of course I have to improve myself. My foremost quality is that I can defend and attack, that was the thing I was known for in Egypt. I haven’t got the chance to show that in Holland, because I have to take care of defending. My ex-trainer at Al-Ahly the Portugese Manuel Jose, saw me playing recently and didn’t recognize me. "Why are you just standing there and don't you do more?" he asked. I told him I wasn’t allowed to do more. That surprised him.’

You still feel at home at Feyenoord?

‘I just feel myself at ease a lot, that is not the problem. At Feyenoord I have a lot of contact with Karim Saidi and Shinji Ono, but also outside the football I have made a lot of friends. Egyptians, Turkish people, Dutch people; I get along well with everyone. The homesickness I had has disappeared. That was different last year. I felt lonely, because I didn’t play and knew nobody. That’s why I stayed more in Cairo than in Rotterdam. Also because I could play my matches with the Egyptian squad and Egypt Youths. After last year when I debuted against PSV, I played my next match this year in February, away against Willem II. I scarcely played for half a year and that is not good for a young boy. This season I haven’t been in Cairo yet. I am staying in Rotterdam since the first training in July, so for about 5 months. An absolute record. I am happy at the moment in Holland. I know the way and feel at home. That is fine.’

But?

‘I don’t feel at ease on the pitch, that eats me. I have the feeling that when I play, someone is hanging on my shoulders. That is really annoying. I talk about it a lot with Karim Saidi and my agent Ton Poldner. They understand me. My manager says: "Hossam, please, play simple football", but he knows that I feel out of sorts. Karim is like a brother to me. We do everything together and are always together. Karim can do it, play simple. He is already indispensable for the squad. I really think that is superb.’

In what ways has Feyenoord changed compared with your first season?

‘As a team we got better, because the team has got great additions this season. The atmosphere is different, but that is because of the good results. We are now so good, that we can win against everyone and that was different last year. When I signed my contract, the club had just lost 4 important players. We started all over again and that went, very logical, with us falling and standing up again... That is for a new boy, a difficult process, because it is always easier to get into a squad that is standing. Saidi has it easier than me last year. He isn’t lonely and the squad is doing great.’

You made your come-back in the first team line-up against NAC Breda. How hard is it to play such a match with an empty stomach?

‘I was in the middle of Ramadan, yes, just like Saidi, but on my play, it doesn’t have any effect. As a Muslim I live Ramadan like I am supposed to: until sunset I don’t eat and drink, even not spool my mouth. I can hold that, because I don't know any different. In Holland it is also easier to manage. The weather is cold and wet and you don’t lose a lot of moisture. The circumstances in Egypt are really different. There it is thirty degrees and that is really tough, you get very thirsty. I want to drink water after the training, but I can always win from that desire. It also only takes thirty days and with a bit of discipline you can do it. The day of the match against Ajax was the last of Ramadan and I could eat normally again. Karim and I were celebrating the Eid, and we would have loved to do that with a win in Amsterdam.’

How hard is it to be a Muslim at the moment?

‘I follow the happenings in the world well, but I find it to complicated to talk about it. I am a footballer, I am concentrating on that and for the rest I am trying to be equally nice to everybody. Of course I have my opinion, but in English I can’t find the right words for it.’

You are together with Ahmed "Mido" Hossam of AS Roma, the most popular footballers in Egypt, Feyenoord even produces a television programme about you and your club weekly. Is it annoying when you don’t play?

‘People can follow me that way and might ask themselves why I don’t play. What they write about it I don’t know, it doesn’t interest me. I consciously don’t read the newspapers, I just don’t want to. When they write that I don’t play because I am not good enough for Feyenoord, they should know it themselves. I know that everything will be ok, because I am working very hard for it. That is the base of success for me. When you want to achieve something, you will have to work for it. I used to play in my birth place Kafrelsheikh on the streets against boys who were older, bigger and stronger than I am. To manage that I began to train myself. Every day at home I did stomach muscle exercises and also tried to work on my body with some different training. That’s the reason for my "six-pack". I became stronger and because of that I stayed on my feet during games. I know for sure my excellent jumping is because of that. When you develop those muscles in your stomach and back, you can give a lot of power when you are about to jump. At my first big club, Al-Ahly, they found that with those qualities I would come right to my best in the midfield. So I moved from forward a line back. I feel great in midfield, because I can attack and defend. I hope I can really show that in the upcoming weeks.’

That was Ghaly's interview in Voetbal International, translated by EgyptianPlayers.com's Jelke Wissing...

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
Thanks for posting the full interview :)

I hadn't yet come to reading it yet, since I no longer want to fund the football guru's magazine who tries to get readers by claiming as his headline: Bouhlarouz to Barcelona for 15 m :D

The thing about Pascal Vogel is hilarious. They asked him about it on Feyenoord TV (watched it for once) and he felt Ghaly didn't mean it negatively. Yeah right :D

Pascals musical choice also is shocking btw :scared:

·
Registered
23,835 Posts
Wally said:
Thanks for posting the full interview :)

I hadn't yet come to reading it yet, since I no longer want to fund the football guru's magazine who tries to get readers by claiming as his headline: Bouhlarouz to Barcelona for 15 m :D

The thing about Pascal Vogel is hilarious. They asked him about it on Feyenoord TV (watched it for once) and he felt Ghaly didn't mean it negatively. Yeah right :D

Pascals musical choice also is shocking btw :scared:
What is it then? Good ol' Dutch shit is my gues, but is it that too?

·
Registered
59,097 Posts
yep, not that it's unusual but the fact that the only type of music he liked was the likes of Bauer, BZN and co :eek:

btw Whats with this Arsenal love with all players here? :fero: they can't even beat de boeren!!! and needed an own goal at Highbury!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts