Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 137 Posts

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know when Lippi will announce his official 23 man (I'm guessing its a 23 man squad) squad?

Italy's matches are:

15/06 20:30 Tshwane/Pretoria vs. USA
18/06 20:30 Johannesburg vs. Egypt
21/06 20:30 Tshwane/Pretoria vs. Brazil

·
Registered
6,056 Posts
We might as well field the best, what better practice than to play vs Brazil and the rest?

I sense that the Americans haven't forgotten about that bloody night.

·
Registered
5,926 Posts
I have tickets for the game vs brazil . I am hoping Lippi calls mario so I can see him live, doubt it but one can hope. Else I should get to see maicon and j cesar on the brazil side.

·
Pepe the Beast
4,493 Posts
and if you are lucky Cassano as well.:smileani:

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Balotelli will be left to the U21 who also has a tournament around the same time.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
What would the squad be for this do you guys think? I hope he does call Cassano and gives him a try in this competition (not that important, but a good test of Cassano for sure)

My squad:

Buffon, Amelia, De Sanctis
Zambrotta, Bonera, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Legrottaglie, Gamberini, Barzagli, Grosso
De Rossi, Pirlo, Gattuso, Palombo, Montolivo, Camoranesi
Cassano, Iaquinta, Toni, Gilardino, Pazzini, Rossi

Choices: Pazzini or Quagliarella
Barzagli or Moretti (I done the squad basing Chiellini also as a reserve LB aswell as main CB)
Palombo or Brighi.

However unfortunately I think Lippi will call Dossena and Perrotta somewhere in the squad, maybe Pepe too, although with all attacking options fully fit again I cant see where he would fit in.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
I would probably have Abbiati & Brighi in place of De Sanctis & Palombo.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
I suppose the 3rd goalkeeper spot is hardly important :D Brighi had a good middle part of the season and gives his all, but his quality has dropped with Roma's recently. Palombo has had a steady campaign for Samp, I dont think he is that great, but he is a true DM and the reserve of Gattuso in this respect.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
But still, you should take your best 3 GKs in the event that 2 break down :D

Palombo is good but nothing special. He has a level and plays at that, fluctuating very little. Brighi can give some great performances on his day though.

There is also the possibility of taking D'Agostino of Udinese, and dropping one of the strikers, most likely Pazzini.

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Well either way I wouldnt mind Palombo/Brighi or De Sanctis/Abbiatti.

·
Administrator
52,981 Posts
D'Agostino is more or less a must now with this season. Thats for sure.

But yeah, the Euro 21 is more rated in a way, so the young players will all be there, except Rossi (too bad, they would need him), so no taking chances on youngsters in this tourno.

·
Registered
17,197 Posts
wow shit fullbacking, and deano, you have too many poachers. Replace one by D'Agostino

also, ambrosini is probably still deserving of a call in front of montolivo and palombo

I would try an attacking line-up:

-----------Gilardino-Iaquinta--------
----Cassano------------------------
-------Gattuso--Pirlo--Camoranesi---
Grosso-Chiellini-Cannavaro-Zambrotta
---------------Buffon---------------

with of course possibility of Rossi to come in for Gila and De Rossi for someone, but latter less probable

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Regarding the U21 tournament, if the player(s) is ready why not take him? Especially the full backs (Motta and Criscito) as there aren't any better options anyways. And yes, I would take Balotelli as he is playing regularly and scoring often. My 23 man squad would be...........

GK: Buffon, Amelia, Marchetti
DF: Zambrotta, Cannavaro, Chiellini, Grosso, Motta, Gamberini, Barzagli, Criscito
MF: De Rossi, Pirlo, Gattuso, Palombo, D'Agostino, Montolivo, Camoranesi
FW: Cassano, Rossi, Toni, Balotelli, Iaquinta

And I agree completely Osman, D'Agostino is a must! The guy has been fantastic this season. I know a lot of people hate Balotelli and wont agree with his inclusion but I dont care :D

-----------------------Buffon
Zambrotta----Cannavaro----Chiellini----Grosso
-----------------------(Pirlo)
--------------Gattuso---------De Rossi
-----------------------(Pirlo)-----Cassano
---------------Rossi----Toni

I would give Pirlo that same regista/trequartista/free role that Lippi gave him against Montenegro. He will still have to work hard defensively of course

A lot can and will change by the time of the WC and since this is ''friendly'' tournament in a way, why not take some youngsters and leave some experienced players at home...........

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
I would like to see:

GK: Buffon, Abbiati, Amelia
DF: Zambrotta, Bonera, Grosso, Cannavaro, Barzagli, Motta, Gamberini, Chiellini
MD: Pirlo, De Rossi, Gattuso, Brighi, Camoranesi, D'Agostino, Montolivo
FW: Cassano, Gilardino, Toni, Rossi, Iaquinta

Line-up:

--------------------Buffon-----------------------

Zambrotta-----Cannavaro-----Chiellini-----Grosso

---------Gattuso------Pirlo-----De Rossi----------

--------------------Cassano----------------------

----------Toni-------------------Rossi------------

·
Registered
54,575 Posts
Criscito isnt even going to be the U21 LB, that will be Santon :pp

It is strange, but I would say there are 4 players in the U21 that I wouldnt mind being the reserve LB in the confed. cup

Criscito, De Ceglie, Santon and Pisano.

However I would still let all stay in U21 and call them after this tournament.

·
Registered
27,277 Posts
Some managers prefer to send a middle-of-the-road team to the Confed Cup... Maybe Lippi is of that mold.. We could thus expect Lucchini, Floccari, Foggia, Pellissier, Leggrottaglie, Dainelli, etc who have been good but aren't anything special...

1 - 20 of 137 Posts