Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sergio Conceicao has hit out at Lazio bosses after his move to Parma paved the way for Hernan Crespo to join the Roman double-winners. Parma will receive Matias Almeyda and £12 million as well as a furious Conceicao, who blasted: "I am very disappointed in the way Lazio have behaved."

The Portuguese winger added: "I deserved more respect. I expected more attention and to be honest I had no intention of leaving Rome. However, I am a professional and in the end I am forced to accept this decision."

Crespo's drawn-out transfer was sealed on Tuesday despite looking on the verge of collapse last week when Marcelo Salas, whom Parma had demanded in part-exchange for Crespo, announced he was not interested in moving to the Ennio Tardini stadium.

But on Monday night Lazio president Sergio Cragnotti met his Parma counterpart Stefano Tanzi and Portuguese winger Conceicao was thrown into the equation.

Now the formalities are expected to be completed on Wednesday, when Crespo will be paraded before the Rome public. He is believed to have agreed an annual salary of £2 million.

The deal, which values Crespo at around £35 million, ends a saga that has kept Italy entertained for months – since the South American told friends he wanted to join a club with a realistic chance of winning trophies.

The 25-year-old added: "I was afraid at what happened last season with Parma. We were out of everything two months before the end of the season. I would prefer to score fewer goals but win something. I want a European Cup."

Crespo, who was also a target for Juventus, finished second to Andrei Shevchenko last season in the Serie A goalscorers’ charts.

Conceicao's departure opens the way for Boudewijn Zenden to sign for Lazio. Barcelona are asking £4 million for the wide man who impressed at Euro 2000 with Holland.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Yeah man this is the most bullsh!t transfer of the season how over-rated is CRESPO man this is bull...

He wont get half of the goals that he got with PARMA man this guy is crap...

I feel so sorry 4 conceicao man i really like this guy...

·
Registered
964 Posts
Lazio what FU(KINK idiots
Almeyda and Conceicao are better younger and have a better future ahead of them.
Why Crespo?
Crespo=36 million pounds
Than Figo=150 million pounds

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Don't feel bad for Sergio

He's going to a better team! I follow Serie A religiously (3 games a weekend!), and Parma has set itself up quite nicely this offseason. Lazio had Simone Inzaghi already (who is far better than his older brother Fillipo - the one who plays for the national squad), plus the over-rated Salas (who they've been trying to move this offseason), but Cragnotti fell into the "billionaire's ego" game that goes on between Serie A owners (and that the president of my beloved Internazionale suffers from every year) - that is the overwhelming compulsion to sign a big name to maintain bragging rights as the Italian club that everyone wants to come to! Invariably though, these decisions are based on star quality with nor regard for team chemistry. Conceicao and Almeyda were every bit as important to Lazio as say, Vidigal and Duscher were to Sporting; except Sporting at least had the common sense to replace them with new players. Cragnotti just left a big hole in his midfield and replaced it with a striker, something he already had a surplus of to begin with. They've got Veron and Stankovic, but Simeone's slowing down and Nedved's more of a forward.

Meanwhile, Parma is looking very good for the upcoming year - adding two quality midfielders who will come in to start immediately. They already had the country's best goalkeeper (Buffon - who was Italia's 1st choice keeper who was injured; Euro 2000 hero Toldo was the backup) and the best defense (anchored by Fabio Cannavaro and Thuram).

In all, I think Conceicao has a better chance at a title at Parma this year than at Lazio.

Although I'm wishing for an Inter treble :cool:...

·
International
5,629 Posts
Conceicao will get over it...He went to a good team, plus he might make more money out of this. I don't feel sorry for him.

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just a day after Lazio sold Conceicao & Almeydaa they have bought Stefano Fiore from Udinese on loan and he will join permanently next year. They have also made a bid for Boudewijn Zenden so that "hole" in their midfield looks like it has closed up again.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
After watching Zenden at Barcelona, I'm not convinced he's going to help them all that much. He looked like a world-beater in Euro 2000, but here's what he did:

Opener vs. Czech Republic: didn't play
Denmark: did nothing in 60 minutes of play
France: substituted halfway through the game against France's B team
Yugoslavia: looked like an all-star against a pathetic & lathargic Yugo defense - nice goal & pass to Kluivert: his best game of the tournament
Italia: had free rein for 90+ minutes to cross at will against Cannavaro and accomplished nothing

Let me ask you this: would you rather have Conceicao or Zenden on your wing? I don't think it's even close.

As far as Fiore and the other player (I never heard of him - he doesn't play), they're staying at Udinese this year, with the players not coming to Roma until the 2001-2002 season. Add Fiore to the equation though, and Taco's right: you can delete my entire post because he's going to be a star (some think he is already - including me :cool:.

B

·
0 Posts
Benfica!!! Oh god Bro who must be having wicked pipe dreams! Benfica will be lucky if they finish 4th this year!!! Everyone knows the new super powers in town are Sporting and they even got stronger in my opinion! SCP will be Champions again! Right now in Portugal no one can touch them!!! VIVA SPORTING!!!

·
Registered
27,210 Posts
Razor, how do you see what 3 Italian games a weekend? What dish/network do you have? I'm thinking about Directv, myself. Any suggestions?

As for the trade, Crespo is a very good striker, so don't diss him just bvecause Conceicao wasn't treated respectfully. Sergio fell victim to typical big business where employees/players are just part of a bigger machine. Machines can always get new parts and that's what happened. I hate Lazio so I hope they suck no matter what. I like Crespo. I saw him play with River Plate and he is good.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I'm not dissing Crespo at all - I think he's an excellent striker. I just think that midfield is a more important position relevant to a team's success. You could have the greatest striker in the world, but he's just not going to be as effective unless he's got some quality players behind him feeding him the ball. It's this same philosophy that leads me to believe that Batistuta will have a definite drop-off in his production this season now that he doesn't have someone of Rui Costa's skill feeding him the ball.

I think Crespo's great, but I'd rather have quality in the midfield and mediocre strikers than the other way around - which is what I think Lazio has now. Believe me: I love this trade as an Inter fan. It makes Lazio weaker (even though it makes Parma stronger)!

As for your satellite question: I have DISH Network, and I strongly reccomend it! RAIi is $9.99 a month, and worth every cent. Unlike the Portuguese teams' relationship with RTPi (like the Benfica home match agreement with SIC), RAIi has free rein to broadcast whatever it wants each week.

My Sunday routine is a thing of beauty! My wife and I have a little breakfast/read the Sunday Globe from 8:00 to 9:00 while "La Giostra dei Gol" starts at 8:00 AM(Ilaria D'Amico is a rarity - a hottie of a co-host who actually knows the sport! On a purely superficial note, she wears ridiculously revealing tops :)). This is basically an hour-long preview of the big games for the day. Then at 9:00, they show the featured game of the day live. Following the 9:00 AM game, they then do the entire recap of the days' games/replays (sort of like "Domingo Desportivo") in the studio. They'll then play a replay game at 2:00 and another game at 4:30 - for a total of 3. The games are usually of the "Big 7": games including Inter :cool:, AC Milano, Roma, Lazio, Juventus, Fiorentina e Parma. As a result, one of the 3 are usually Inter (good for me - maybe 4 or 5 of their games weren't aired last season). From January on, the format changes slightly, as there is one game on Saturday, and two on Sunday (9:00 and 4:30).

The real bonus, is that in addition to the weekend games, they show all UEFA Cup and CL games involving Italian teams during the week. I was actually able to watch the V. Setubal drubbing at the hands of Roma on RAIi last year in the UEFA Cup.

It's a phenomenal deal! Too bad Serie A doesn't start until October this year!

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
Razor thats amazing!

I may get a dish at home to soon! It would give me all the Euro and North American channls... :) but it is an illegal cause no satellite company in good o'ole Canada gives the oppurtunity to get RTP and SporTV

·
Registered
26,731 Posts
Lazio have a great midfield,with no right wing!

Now,I'm may get lot of anger for that but be prepared to see Conceicao on the bench next year.Diego Fuser is extremelly tough to be removed.However,from the year after that the right wing belongs to Sergio.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I agree with you on that Amoroso - Fuser's an incredibly underated player in my opinion. I think Conceicao will find his playing time - you guys will love him.

That's the only problem with DISH Network, Marcoa - SporTV is only available on commercial accounts (i.e. - bars), no residential. The only Portuguese-speaking channels I can get at home is RTPi and Globo (Brasilian). RTPi is just $4 a month, while Globo is $19.99. I don't have Globo, but Tiazinha may be reason enough to subscribe :)...

·
XT Oldie
8,397 Posts
like I said Razor...its an illegal satellite...so I will be getting SporTV and RTP for sure. My uncle has the dish and he has both of them.
In Canada we get dishes but I have yet to see one company offer channels like RTP, RAi and so forth...perhaps the other Canadians on the board can help me on this one?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts