Xtratime Community banner

What three teams do you think willl gain automatic birth to the 2014 WC?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, the CONCACAF is currently in their third round of qualifiers. The three groups are:

Group A

USA --- 7 PTS
Guatamala --- 7 PTS
-------------------------
Jamaica --- 7 PTS
Antigua and Barbuda --- 1 PT

Group B

Mexico --- 12 PTS
El Salvador --- 5 PTS
Costa Rica --- 4 PTS
Guyana --- 1 PT

Group C

Panama --- 9 PTS
Honduras --- 7 PTS
Canada --- 7 PTS
Cuba --- 0 PTS

The top two of every group will form one group in the final round of qualifiers. In the next stage, the top three teams will go to Brazil in 2014, while the fourth place team will face off in a play-off against the 1st place team of the OFC zone (likely to be New Zealand). I think Mexico, USA, and Panama will all qualify, with Honduras losing in the play-off. Mexico and USA are obvious picks, while Panama had a strong Gold Cup, leading me to believe they'll get to show their skills on the world stage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Mexico is the first team that has secure its place in the final round of six teams. El Salvador and Costa Rica will battle for the second place of the Group B.

USA is supposed to be the favourites from Group A, though the results so far have complicated a bit the situation. I really hope the "reggae boyz" of Jamaica make it again all up until the finals!

Group C is more predictable; Panama and Honduras will pass, in spite of a pleasant surprise from Canada.

·
Registered
68,888 Posts
Four teams from CONCACAF will make the World Cup, I don't think any of them will lose to New Zealand, or at least they shouldn't in the playoff

I pick Mexico, USA, Honduras and the 4th option for me is either Panama or Jamaica (if they make the hex). Surprised to see Costa Rica struggling, but if they make the hex I think they have a good chance to make the top 4. Panama are such a boring team, but they are organized enough to get results against the top teams in CONCACAF

Hex will probably be:
USA
Jamaica
Mexico
El Salvador/Costa Rica
Panama
Honduras

·
Registered
70 Posts
Next matches

12/10/12 Antigua and Barbuda - USA
12/10/12 El Salvador - Costa Rica
12/10/12 Canada - Cuba
12/10/12 Guatemala - Jamaica
12/10/12 Guyana - Mexico
12/10/12 Panama - Honduras

16/10/12 Honduras - Canada
16/10/12 Cuba - Panama
16/10/12 USA - Guatemala
16/10/12 Jamaica - Antigua and Barbuda
16/10/12 Costa Rica - Guyana
16/10/12 Mexico - El Salvador

Current standings

Group 1

Team MP GF GA Pts

Guatemala 4 6 4 7
USA 4 6 4 7
Jamaica 4 4 3 7
Antigua and Barbuda 4 2 7 1

Group 2

Team MP GF GA Pts

Mexico 4 8 2 12
El Salvador 4 8 8 5
Costa Rica 4 6 5 4
Guyana 4 5 12 1

Group 3

Team MP GF GA Pts

Panama 4 5 1 9
Honduras 4 4 2 7
Canada 4 2 2 7
Cuba 4 0 6 0

Focus is on the first group, where the three contenders play against each other. The Costa Rica - El Salvador derby could define which of the two teams will follow Mexico at the next round from group 2. And Honduras should get serious against Canada on the 16th, if they don't want any upset.

·
Registered
58,967 Posts
Jamaica will win so that makes it a shootout between the US and Guatamala

Honduras-Canada will obviously be the match of the round.

·
Registered
58,967 Posts
Honduras currently leading 6-0

The end of the road for Canada.

Shame, would have liked to see a new country in the world cup. Also Jonathan de Guzman switching his allegiance back to them had they qualified.

·
Registered
68,888 Posts
The Hex draw will be tomorrow night

Jamaica are trying to strengthen their team before the start of the final round of qualifications and they are in discussion with 9 English based players about playing for the national team. The most ambitious are Raheem Sterling and Junior Hoilett. The other names being mentioned are: Danny Simpson (Newcastle), Nathan Dyer (Swansea), Jobi McAnuff (Reading), Jermaine Beckford (Leicester), James Perch (Newcastle), Theo Robinson (Derby) and some other lower league players

They did a similar thing prior to the 1998 World Cup where they stacked their team with English based players with Jamaican descent

·
Registered
68,888 Posts
Here is the Hex fixture list

Costa Rica
Honduras
Jamaica
Mexico
Panama
USA

February 6, 2013
Honduras vs. USA
Mexico vs. Jamaica
Panama vs. Costa Rica

March 22, 2013
Honduras vs. Mexico
Jamaica vs. Panama
USA vs. Costa Rica

March 26, 2013
Costa Rica vs. Jamaica
Mexico vs. USA
Panama vs. Honduras

June 4, 2013
Jamaica vs. Mexico

June 7, 2013
Costa Rica vs. Honduras
Jamaica vs. USA
Panama vs. Mexico

June 11, 2013
Honduras vs. Jamaica
Mexico vs. Costa Rica
USA vs. Panama

June 18, 2013
Costa Rica vs. Panama
USA vs. Honduras

September 6, 2013
Costa Rica vs. USA
Mexico vs. Honduras
Panama vs. Jamaica

September 10, 2013
Honduras vs. Panama
Jamaica vs. Costa Rica
USA vs. Mexico

October 11, 2013
Honduras vs. Costa Rica
Mexico vs. Panama
USA vs. Jamaica

October 15, 2013
Costa Rica vs. Mexico
Jamaica vs. Honduras
Panama vs. USA

·
Expecto patronum!
13,563 Posts
The Hex draw will be tomorrow night

Jamaica are trying to strengthen their team before the start of the final round of qualifications and they are in discussion with 9 English based players about playing for the national team. The most ambitious are Raheem Sterling and Junior Hoilett. The other names being mentioned are: Danny Simpson (Newcastle), Nathan Dyer (Swansea), Jobi McAnuff (Reading), Jermaine Beckford (Leicester), James Perch (Newcastle), Theo Robinson (Derby) and some other lower league players

They did a similar thing prior to the 1998 World Cup where they stacked their team with English based players with Jamaican descent
Sterling was on the bench in the home clash with Ukraine, so I dont think he would consider switching at the moment. he is only 17 and would probably wait and see if he can play for England.

McAnuff already played for Jamaica, but according to Wikipedia he retired from international football at age of 23. he probably didnt want to travel a lot, as I dont see other reason since he was never even considered for England as at that time he wasnt even playing in the PL. but now since he has a chance to go to the WC with Jamaica so he would consider making a come back.

for the rest, well I hope Jamaica can get some.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
68,888 Posts
Too early to panic even though US and Mexico fans thought the world ended on Wednesday. And to be fair, Jamaica deserved three points at the Azteca, not one. Jamaica missed 3 one on one's, one of them was harder to miss than to score. Mexico lacked creativity and the crowd turned on them in the second half. If anything it was a wake-up call for Mexico, who went into this match way too confident and whose fans were thinking they were World Cup contenders just because they won the Olympics and some U17 title.

USA losing at Honduras is not so surprising, especially under Klinsmann who has only beaten Antigua-Barbuda away from home in CONCACAF (failed to beat now Guatemala, Jamaica and Honduras). Also, this is probably one of Honduras' best generation of players, more of them are going to Europe and their Olympic team made the knockout stage

Klinsmann is under some pressure from the fans who care about the NT here (obviously not nationwide pressure). The next match at home to Costa Rica is pretty much "must win" because after that its Mexico away. USA cannot break teams down and lack depth. Even the German-Americans which Klinsmann added haven't really stepped up yet

Despite the early problems for both US and Mexico they both should qualify. I mean look at 2010 qualifying, Mexico got off to a disaster start but still qualified with games to spare.

I will guess Mexico, Honduras, USA will get the automatic spots (in that order).

The fight for the playoff will be between Costa Rica and Jamaica. Costa Rica are not as strong as in previous years and their new stadium has lost all intimidation factor. The only positive for Costa Rica is they have a freakishly good record against the USA. Jamaica impressed me at Azteca, they have recruited some English born players which will help them. This point at Azteca should give them momentum going into the next matches

Some people think Panama is the darkhorse in this group, I think they might be the weakest. Mostly a domestic based side, strong defensively but I don't think they will be consistent enough to get into the top 4, they already dropped points at home

It will take something like 16-17 points to qualify autmomatically. Even 4th place means you play New Zealand in a playoff

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice summary HS.

I'm going to take a wild guess here and say the US gets stuck with the fourth place spot, with Mexico, Honduras, and Jaimaca grabbing the three automatic births. The US didn't show much creativity in their Hex opener, and they need to change that if they want to automatically qualify to Brazil.

·
Registered
68,888 Posts
Looks like Jamaica have added Jermaine Beckford and Lloyd Doyley to their squad, both Championship players born in England but with Jamaican roots. That now makes it 6 English born players added in the past few months. Looks like they are going to their 1998 route :D

They might get Dawkins from Aston Villa as well

·
Registered
68,888 Posts
Mexico blew a two goal lead away in Honduras, Honduras' equalizer came through a controversial penalty. Puts a lot of pressure on Mexico for their home game against USA on Tuesday

Honduras now have 4 points from their first two matches, which were home matches against their two direct rivals. If they win their remaining three home games they are pretty much one away win from qualifying automatically for the World Cup.

·
Nasty Woman
22,582 Posts
USA v Costa Rica. Insane!

1 - 20 of 66 Posts