Xtratime Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what I really have in mind is Bayern Munich.
I mean those guys have a lot of money but they know how and when to spend it...
Look at there 2000/2001 squad it hasn't much changed from the previous season but it is still fantastic...look at their performance in champion's league.
In contrast Lazio spent a huge sum last year but still were a step behind bayern (1/4 final against 1/2 final).
What I am trying to do is not to criticize Lazio they have probably the best squad on earth...But I am trying to open a comprehensive discussion with all of you concerning the two teams.I want to know those things:
1-Do you think Lazio is really that much stronger than Bayern?
2-Comparison between players of both sides:
attack:Zickler-Elber-Sergio
midfield:Effenberg-Scholl-Sforza-Jeremies-Salihamidzic
Defence:Kuffour-Linke-Andersson-Lizarazu
against Lazio players.
3-Who do U think will perform better in champions league and do u think they will meet in the final?

With all my respects to Lazio and Lazio fans ....Thank you.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I think the main difference between these two teams' approaches to success is that Lazio doesn't have the long history that Bayern does. I think that perhaps this summer's spending spree is a bit excessive, but is still a positive thing. I admit I would've liked to see less changes so that there'd be less adjustments to make to adapt a little to the new players, but I think the purchases we've made won't change our style too much. Bayern seems to trust a lot more in their current players, with good reason, because they're all excellent players. Player to player, I think Lazio has a stronger squad overall, but Bayern's advantage is that the players are used to each other, and play together very well. I think that if Lazio are able to stay successful for the next few seasons, we'll settle down in the transfer market a bit. Another difference is the league they play in. I admit I don't know much about the Bundesliga, but I have the feeling that in Italy the supporters are a bit more demanding of their presidents as far as buying superstars go. Just look at AC Milan, their fans have been angry that Berlusconi hasn't bought any big name players, and the season hasn't even started. I don't recall hearing any demonstrations being held in Rome because Cragnotti and Sensi have been spending money like crazy.

I'm sorry I don't have a player-player comparison, but I don't think my comparison would be very fair because I don't follow the Bundesliga or Bayern too closely.

I think both teams will do very well in the Champions League this year, but I think Bayern has an edge, because they've been very close for the past couple years now, and that's an extra incentive. A Lazio-Bayern final would be great, let's all hope for that :).

·
Ronny
1,698 Posts
I don't think you can make that kind of Comparison due to the fact is not such a big club, and i'll explain myself on that one so that you won't kill me :):
Lazio, by statistics, is sort of a Chelsea. A great team who always finds herself on top, but scarcely reaches any title. I could be wrong here, but that's my opinion. Bayern dominates the German League, not totally, but she does. That creates a psychological thought that less than 2nd place is unacceptable. Let's face it. If Lazio was 2nd, people were not complain, at least nowdays. If Bayern would finish up 2nd, it would've been a tragedy.

I do admire Bayern work, and you're right. They never does spend large amounts of money and still reach the highests levels in Europe.

Still, it's a wrong Comparison. Bayern could be compared to Barcelona, Real, Atletico, Ajax, Juventus, Milan.

I know that the Lazialis among you think i'm talking nonsense, but Lazio is only at the verge of becoming a 1st class team.

please... don't be mad at me!! :)

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I think this is a golden era for Lazio and no doubt one day they will be compared to teams like that but in the mean time lazio has to win tittles first against strong oppostion and winning the champions league will boast them can they do it ?????

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
On many aspects I have to agree with Kazema.

And Shy, I won't compare Lazio with Chelsea. It's not a very appropriate comparison IMO!

As for Bayern-Lazio comparison -just for the present, not the past- , just a few things to add:
Indeed Bayern are stable. They don't rely too much on a player on their way to trophies. While I think Lazio are still more reliant on some key players. I remember even when they had to play with their 3rd goalie due to injuries to Kahn and their 2nd goalie, this Wessel (He's 20) performed well as well.
Players come and go in Bayern but they remain stable. The nickname, FC Hollywood - you know there are so many conflicts there (it took Beckenbauer himself to resolve some of them!). I see there are less conflicts in Lazio, at least the exposed ones. Bayern players are more of 'stars', even the managers sometimes can't handle them. While in Lazio, Eriksson seems to have more authority.
Lazio are not an 'established' team yet; our successes in the past few years are great signs that if things go our way, we can actually join the big names. Lazio still have a long way to go! I do hope we're up to this task. :)
Player-to-player comparison...I won't go into detail but I'd just point out some.
Keeper : Kahn is so solid. In this area they're better. Our keepers are good but not that excellent.
Defence : Bayern - left and right back are stronger, their central defence is not that excellent. While we have Nesta. Our central defence seems better.
Midfield : Bayern - Effenberg. Lazio - Veron. Both influential figures for each team. I'm not going to compare them though.
Wingers : I love Salihamidzic :cool: We have Nedved.
Strikers : Well up to now, theirs have been more productive if we compare Lazio after the departure of Vieri. Scholl there is more of a second striker these days. We haven't exactly got someone to compare with Scholl. But, there's the arrival of Lopez here!
Subs : I personally think that our subs are better than them. Perhaps not so for the substitute strikers, but in other positions, yes.
Coach : Their coach have less authority/influence over the team compared to Sven. It's more of Beckenbauer for Bayern.
The fact that Bayern have Beckenbauer while it's Cragg for us is quite significant; Beckenbauer is all for fussball, through and through. He's against the business idea of football. While Cragg is a businessman. This explains about the signings, etc.

Perhaps there'll be more things to add later, my thoughts are kinda scrambled right now. :eek:

·
Ronny
1,698 Posts
sorry, i have to disagree some things with you Nedved.
1st of all, i know that a Chelsea - Lazio comparison is incorrect professionally, but statistically it is!
Look at Lazio and Chelsea. 2 Clubs who are ALWAYS at the top of their Football, but scarcely win the titles.
That's what i have to say about that one.

Now, about your comparison with Bayern.
GK: You're Right, Kahn is better than our goalies, maybe exclude Carini. :)
Defence: When we'll have Canna our defence will be better than Bayern's, but as for the moment, it's 2-0 for the germans.
Midfield: We have the best Midfield in the world. Bayern, nor any club exist presently on this planet can face our Midfield.
Strikers: We have one of the best pair of strikers exist in the world today: Crespo - Lopez.
i don't think that Elber - Jancker or Elber - Scholl are better than our Lopez - Crespo.

that's about it. Lazio at present are much better than Bayern, but Bayern has one hell of a coach and saying he has no control of his team is not quite true, exclude the Basler case, who wasn't up to him really. I believe that this will be our decade. we'll be the club of the decade guys! i truly believe that!

[Edited by Laziali All The Way! on 17-07-2000 at 02:53]

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Laziali All The Way :
Why are you so sure about Chelsea being ALWAYS at the top of their football? That's the part I disagree with. :) And trophy-wise, in cup competitions Chelsea have been better than us actually. I think at the moment they're more of a cup-team. Of course we must not forget that the man whose goals have won Chelsea the 2 FA Cups is di Matteo!!!! :) :) :)
As for the midfield part, I only compared the players (the playmakers in fact) but not the midfield on the whole. Our midfield is presently better than Bayern's.
As for Cannavaro, Lopez, Crespo...as I said at the beginning of my post, I'm focusing on near past and present. Not the future! These players haven't played for Lazio yet. Futurewise these players have indeed boosted us in comparison with Bayern indeed.
Goalscorers...let's not forget Paulo Sergio of Bayern! Actually this season it has been more of Elber-Sergio. Zickler can sometimes be surprising as well. Yup, we are yet to see the lethal pairing of Lepoz-Crespo and I can't wait!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now i think that best european club in one of those 4:
Man Utd
Bayern Munchen
Lazio
Real Madrid

This choice is based on performance of this clubs in last few years,in domestic championship and Euro cups.

Man Utd

The new and old PL chapmions.
Last year they won treble and they were stoped in Champions league by Real Madrid this year.
They are good in PL as in Europe, they had 18 points advantage at the end.

Bayern Munchen

They are the best team in the Germany with any doubt for last few years.
They played Champions league final last year and semi-final this year.
They have many good players and in general they are very good team.

Lazio

They are double winners this year. They are the best club in last two years in Italy.
They played Uefa-cup final two years ago , won Cup Winners Cup and stoped by champions league finalist Valencia last years.
They are the most active club on the transfer market for last few years.

Real Madrid They are European club champions this year and they have been that two years ago whan they won the final against Juve.
Last few years they are not that good in they Spain like in the Europe.

About other clubs thay have not been good like this 4 in last few years.
Juve Milan Inter Barca Arsenal are good too .
What do you say???

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Fotball4ever Lazio changed alot last season ??

Lazio: 98/99

Luca
***** - Nesta - Miha - Pancaro
Conceciao - Almeyda - Mancini - Nedved
Vieri - Salas.

Lazio: 99/00

Luca
***** - Nesta - Miha - Pancaro
Conceciao - Almeyda ( when not injured - Veron - Nedved
Boksic/Inzaghi - Salas

De La Pena was going to be our playmaker but an injury kept him out of summer training and when he came back he wanted to show the club just how good it was and it backfired, leaving him with a totally destroyed confidence and a bad relationship with Eriksson. Mancini moved down from striker to playmaker ( a stroke of genious ) but Eriksson knew we needed a playmaker for next season and bought Veron. In the squad we already had Cragnottis favourite player Boksic so that wasn´t a new buy but he was injured the previous season and that kept him out of the 11. Inzaghi was going to fill in for Boksic but took that place completely :)

The player rotation in Lazio isn´t greater then in other clubs but Cragnotti knows that Lazio need to attract viewers etc to make Lazio a household name - this will probably effect the stability of the team but we will become a name on everybodys lips just like Juventus, Milan, Real and Barca.

So far we have bought Crespo, Peruzzi and Lopez <--- first 11. We bought back Baronio and we need to replace Conceciao with a player. I won´t ever compare us to Chelsea - we´re no where close to them interms of anything !!

This season we might only have Nesta, ***** and Inzaghi up for the national team but next season we´ll have Fiore and Giannichedda and who knows maybe Baronio will take over from Albertini ??

I wish someone could spend some time looking at club transfers so we could get a 10year graph of which clubs have had the highest rotation of players ( my guess is 1) Inter 2) Milan 3) Roma 4) Parma 5) Lazio 6) Juve

The above was just a GUESS !! so please don´t slam me for it ( I´m sure Parma fans will come tearing down the roof for me putting Parma ahead of Lazio ).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Svennis.
When I posted my letter I had only in mind the huge sums
payed by various clubs including Lazio to aquire new players.
My point was that by looking to Bayern (Who is a very very very rich club) you can see that they are able to build a strong squad without paying something like 50 million dollar for a single player....Don't they have that kind of money? Yes they do...but it seems like their management is spending it wisely.
I wish Svennis and other Lazio fans that you reply soon.

·
Ronny
1,698 Posts
football4ever.... lazio is not a big club yet... you make big clubs, you cannot built them overnight. Rome wasn't built in one day.

Bayern is a club with Legacy. Mediocre teams (statistically...) who aim to play uphigh and become a big team, should invest in their clubs.
Some of you may think i'm wrong, but i truly think that when Lazio will win 12 Championships at least and become one of the big teams in Italy (e.g. Milan, Juventus) the chairman will stop throwing that kind of sums away, because the club will have a moral boost due to the legacy. That's what happens at Munich!

·
International
6,519 Posts
Lazio is not a big club ???!?!?! :confused:

BIG NO TO YOU LAZIALI all the way...
When there was that match Lazio - Valencia EVERYBODY was saying how big lazio is... Lazio got the best players ever, and became one of the strongest clubs EVER !

We shall be written in history under THE BEST TEAM 2000/2001:D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Laziali all the way.
If I agree with you that Lazio is not a big team yet (although I don't think so),you will find other big european clubs in Italy,Spain and England ready to pay huge sums.
Look at Real Madrid,Barcelona,Milan,Manchester.
Isn't this going to pose financial problems for them?
Is their profitability big enough?
Bayern bought players like Sergio and Elber for ONLY 6 million dollars each...and those players made a good display in all competitions.
A good team is a good team.
You don't count on legacy when you are on the pitch.
I think clubs must find a quick solution for this financial issue.

·
Ronny
1,698 Posts
SSLAZIO.... i meant statistically, and i have mentioned it more than once. you know what i mean. Lazio is NOT a big club yet. I believe that until 2015 we will be considered as a Big Club alongside Juve and Milan and Sampdoria.

football4ever... i 100 percent agree that these sums are unexcusable.
nobody is worth that much.

You are right by giving Real Madrid as an Example.
i withdraw my charges. :)

but i still think Lazio is yet to consider alongside the great ones (by legacy).

1 - 15 of 15 Posts