Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rangers - Season 03/04 - Played 16 Won 12 Drew 2 Lost 2 For 39 Against 15 Points 38.

Rangers - Season 04/05 - Played 16 Won 12 Drew 3 Lost 1 For 33 Against 7 Points 39.

We all know how it finished last season. So much for the supposed 'great improvement'.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
Does that mean that Celtic have gone downhill then? Because I am sure they had more points that this last season. If we havent improved then surely Celtic have got worse...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,958 Posts
Well you'd have to agree it is an improvement no matter how slight. So we are improving. Now compare Celtic who I said were going back:

Celtic- Season 03/04 - Played 16 Won 15 Drew 1 Lost 0 Points 46.

Celtic- Season 04/05 - Played 16 Won 12 Drew 2 Lost 2 Points 38.

Quite a difference there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Laddie said:
Does that mean that Celtic have gone downhill then? Because I am sure they had more points that this last season. If we havent improved then surely Celtic have got worse...
Celtic have been below-par this season - a lot of which i put down to being involved in such a tough Champions League group.

The fact that Rangers have barely improved themselves since last season could be an ominous sign for them when Celtic get their act together.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,958 Posts
So now Celtic are below-par. At last you have finally admitted it. I think you may rememebr I was saying this before the Champions League begun and when Celtic were 7 points ahead at the top of the league. Now the facts have caught up with Celtic you are inclined to agree, but with more excuses, so that is at leaxst a start.
A month ago Celtic had played half of their Champions League games and were 7 points ahead at the top of the league so why is the Champions League suddenly a factor in their poor recent form? A month ago the league was "basically" and "essentially" over while Celtic welcomed the chase so what has changed?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
chivoexpiatorio said:
So now Celtic are below-par. At last you have finally admitted it. I think you may rememebr I was saying this before the Champions League begun and when Celtic were 7 points ahead at the top of the league. Now the facts have caught up with Celtic you are inclined to agree, but with more excuses, so that is at leaxst a start.
A month ago Celtic had played half of their Champions League games and were 7 points ahead at the top of the league so why is the Champions League suddenly a factor in their poor recent form? A month ago the league was "basically" and "essentially" over while Celtic welcomed the chase so what has changed?
You said that Celtic have declined since last season, i've said that Celtic have been below-par this season.

There's a fundamental difference between the two. But we'll still win the league so it's all moot anyway - i'm just here for the banter. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,958 Posts
"Basically" though we're both agreeing there not as good as they were last year though?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,978 Posts
chivoexpiatorio said:
"Basically" though we're both agreeing there not as good as they were last year though?
You have to give the guy credit for his persistence. :dielaugh:

You already know I agree that Celtic have regressed and we've progressed, but I still think we'll have to improve a bit to win the league. There's not been many games i've seen that I came away thinking great performance. I know it's the results that matter at this stage, but I feel we can do a lot better.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,958 Posts
Too true angle but I've never said Rangers will win the league and I think I'm correct in saying you have never said that either. As far as I am aware only one person has said their team will win the league.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,978 Posts
I let it slip once, but it was tongue-in-cheek...sort of. I'm starting to let myself believe we can win the league, but don't tell KH that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
461 Posts
I actually think most Rangers fans know we have a long long way to go. Yeah we have improved, but Celtic are still favourites imo. The run in the last 15 games was phenomenal and far better than anything we did last season, but Celtic have been going through a bad patch too.

We havent always looked brilliant in many of those games, but the old cliche says that 'winning games while not playing well is a sign of champions' (or something like that lol). I wouldn't say that myself, but it is still good to see that we are rasing our game when we need to.

If we are there or thereabouts then I will be happy. Be a huge change from last season anyways and something to build on for seasons after. Apart from Rae, Klos and possibly Prso, we have a young team, with the chance of playing together for many more years.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,958 Posts
Angle_eyes said:
I let it slip once, but it was tongue-in-cheek...sort of. I'm starting to let myself believe we can win the league, but don't tell KH that.
Lol, OK I'll keep that quiet. I think they have every chance of winning it but then again so do Celtic. If Celtic do win it they certainly won't run away with it like last year. I don't think either set of supporters should be confident that their side will definitely win it. That said I'd rather be ahead at the moment than chasing :happy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,958 Posts
Probably worth digging this one out on a monthly basis. This month speaks for itself, RED means bad in the comparison column while GREEN means improved.

Code:
[color=green][b]Celtic[/b][/color]
         P   W  D  L  F  A   GD  Pts 
2003/04  21  20 1  0  66 8   58  61 
2004/05  21  17 2  2  49 19  30  53 
-----------------------------------
                      [color=red]17 9   28   8[/color]    
-----------------------------------
 
[color=blue][b]Rangers[/b][/color]  
         P   W  D  L  F  A   GD  Pts
2003/04  21  16 2  3  45 18  +27 50  
2004/05  21  15 5  1  43 10  +33 50
-----------------------------------
                       [color=red]2[/color]  [color=green]8    6  [/color]0
-----------------------------------
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,978 Posts
Well, that would seem to suggest that Celtic have regressed, whilst we've stood still. I know it's not as simple as that though. It's scary that we've actually scored less goals this season than last. The defence is obviously tighter, but a lot of that solidity has been lost now that Boumsong's gone. The immediate future of this department depends on the talent of whoever McLeish brings in.

I guess some will trot out the same tired excuses for Celtic, i.e. playing against the 2 best teams in Europe...etc. Again, not having a dig at Celtic, but what about the reports yesterday suggesting Celtic may not bring anyone in in the window. I realise your team's been good enough (so far) to stay on top domestically, but wouldn't you want to see some new faces? Of course, it could all be smokescreens by Martin and the paper's, but it's becoming a familiar routine with the Darkheid moneymen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
chivoexpiatorio said:
Probably worth digging this one out on a monthly basis. This month speaks for itself, RED means bad in the comparison column while GREEN means improved.

Code:
[color=green][b]Celtic[/b][/color]
         P   W  D  L  F  A   GD  Pts 
2003/04  21  20 1  0  66 8   58  61 
2004/05  21  17 2  2  49 19  30  53 
-----------------------------------
                      [color=red]17 9   28   8[/color]    
-----------------------------------
 
[color=blue][b]Rangers[/b][/color]  
         P   W  D  L  F  A   GD  Pts
2003/04  21  16 2  3  45 18  +27 50  
2004/05  21  15 5  1  43 10  +33 50
-----------------------------------
                       [color=red]2[/color]  [color=green]8    6  [/color]0
-----------------------------------
And the fact that matters most is that the Bhoys are still on top of the league, taking into account the fantastic, amazing improvement in the Rangers team this season of course.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,958 Posts
"fantatic and amazing" are not words I would use myself about Rangers improvement nor how Celtic have slid back. I always maintained it would be a tighter race this year and it is proving to be the case.

I think 8 points drop in the margin suggests that the gap has closed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,017 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
chivoexpiatorio said:
"fantatic and amazing" are not words I would use myself about Rangers improvement nor how Celtic have slid back. I always maintained it would be a tighter race this year and it is proving to be the case.

I think 8 points drop in the margin suggests that the gap has closed.
It will be a tighter race this year, it could hardly get any more distant, but you know and i know that it won't be tight enough to deny Celtic the league championship.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,978 Posts
:dielaugh:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,958 Posts
King_Henrik said:
It will be a tighter race this year, it could hardly get any more distant, but you know and i know that it won't be tight enough to deny Celtic the league championship.
We've played 21 games of the 38 and there is a 3 point gap. I see no reason to start claiming that Rangers are going to win the league but I know they are still well in there. I also see no reason to think Celtic are going to win it. There is alot of football to be played before that judgement can be made if you are realistic- which obviously you are not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
946 Posts
The thing about last season is that we looked brilliant in the first couple of months until we lost the first OF game at Ibrox.

We were humping teams week in, week out which would explain the inferior goal tally this season.

I don't know if that made sense but, Christ, it's nearly three in the morning.
 
1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Top