Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Xtratime Allstar
9,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next season we'll see them in Serie A, they are actually quite new teams for me. I have never seen them in A before as long as i've been following the league on TV. I think Como played in A in the early 80's, i dunno with Modena, I'm too lazy to check it :D

Como got the Serie A veteran Luis Oliveira in the team, they also got my former Local keeper Alex Brunner :eek: Milan's Nicola Corrent plays there too, The rest are quite unknown.

Modena got Andrea Rabito and Marco Balotta, the others don't really ring a bell.

Congrats to the team, i look forward too see them in A next year!

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Modena haven't been in Serie A since the 60s, and haven't been in Serie B since 1994 so this is a very big moment for them. They were deserved C1/A champions last season and with much the same team have dominated Serie B. I must say well done to them.

Como haven't been in Serie A since 1989 (they spent 1984-89 there) and haven't been in Serie B since 1995, so this is also very special for them. They have a good solid side and also deserve their promotion.

Seriously, I think that we are seeing changes in Italian football, with Chievo doing well and the likes of Fiorentina going down. I do think it highlights problems at several Italian clubs, and that the game needs some freshening up.

·
Registered
22,221 Posts
Down the years we've seen the likes of Genoa,Napoli,Sampdoria,Bari and now Fiorentina for example into Serie B with the likes of Chievo,Perugia,Piacenza and Udinese making a name for themselves Forza Como and Modena for next season.;)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Modena is an unknown team 34 years without been on Series A
about Como,it will be nice to see a player like Luis Oliveira on class football again.

·
Star Player
2,744 Posts
Modena have been playing nice free-flowing football not unlike Chievo. Players like goalkeeper Ballotta, defender Mayer, midfielder Milanetto, attacking midfielder Pasino and striker Fabbrini have all proven their worth as the spine of the team. Como haven't scored as many but have likewise proven a solid, well-organised side with Brunner in goal, Brevi and Stellini in defence, Gallo and Allegretti in midfield and Oliveira in attack.

I think what we're seeing in Italian football is a major shake-up and a long overdue freshening of things. The trends noticeable are:
- clubs can rise up spectacularly (Messina from non-league/amateur football to Serie B in three years is one example)
- clubs can also fall spectacularly (Cremonese and Foggia now languish in Serie C2)
- big name clubs who fall will likely remain down there for a very long time (Sampdoria, Napoli, Genoa, and probably now Fiorentina)

I think it's an indicator of the problems many Italian clubs have these days, management or otherwise. Chievo have been a breath of fresh air for Italian football this season, and it's not impossible for Modena and Como to do the same. It's not unlike what we've seen in English football with the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Nottingham Forest unlikely to return in the short term, while teams like Charlton, Fulham and now Birmingham become Premiership fixtures for a while yet.

Thing is, both Modena and Como have spent so many years down there, but at the same time kept trying to bounce straight back up. All those years of trying means they have been well prepared for life at a higher level. It also explains why Messina and Palermo have done alright so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts