Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Lee Seung-yeon, the actress who offended former sex slaves, or "comfort women" drafted from Korea in to the Japanese army during World War II, apologized yesterday for making a nude photo project based on the women's experience.

However, comfort women attending did not accept Lee's apology and harshly reprimanded her.

Apology Pic. 1 2 3 4 5

Nude Photo 1 2

News 1 2

Is it art or nationalism?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Interesting, but I'm not sure I understand the substance of the insult or perception of the insult.

Does the actress regret the photos, or only the fact that they caused offence?

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tinto said:
Interesting, but I'm not sure I understand the substance of the insult or perception of the insult.

Does the actress regret the photos, or only the fact that they caused offence?
umm...as far as i know, they only apologised when the community bounced back. at the beginning, they insisted to release this project. but since then, the criticism is getting bigger and bigger. now they must get their idea back.

it is a very serious issue in asia especially among those countries suffering from the japanese army. other than this korean woman, two artists in china either suffered from serious sanction for their wearing the clothes of japanese militarism and nazi respectively.

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Real, perhaps you could explain more about the comfort women, what happened during WWII and their fight for compensation, recognition and apology from Japan.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Yes, I'd say so. "See through lingerie"? Yikes. I guess maybe Korean women who were kidnapped and raped didn't quite appreciate seeing their horrible experience glamourized. Even the term "comfort women" is a kind of insult. It should be called what it was.

·
Cachorro
18,741 Posts
Well, Lee Seung-yeon is becoming a pariah... according to the article Humbird provided (thanks for the link, Hummie), several advertising agencies are dropping her like a hot potato.

What I don't understand is how SOMEone could have considered this a good idea to begin with. What were they thinking??
:confused:

·
Registered
3,783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Humbird said:
Real, perhaps you could explain more about the comfort women, what happened during WWII and their fight for compensation, recognition and apology from Japan.
i'm not sure what happened exactly. but as far as i know, the matter began from that japanese army invaded korea, china and many other asian countries. japanese soldiers had sexual needs, but they didn't want to rape the women from those from losing countries though they did. therefore, they formed a system of sexual centers. 80% of the comfort women were kidnapped from korea, japan itself, china and some the other asian countries. that is why this matter shocked the whole korea especially. since then, comfort women has been claiming compensation and apology from japan by different ways.

Tinto said:
Even the term "comfort women" is a kind of insult.
you are right. most asian countries more or less also suffered from this matter.

Garrincha said:
What I don't understand is how SOMEone could have considered this a good idea to begin with. What were they thinking??
:confused:
i think because they found it could bring this project more publicity. they do it. but now the situation already lost control.

·
Registered
11,477 Posts
Despite the harsh criticism, Lee said that she will leave for Japan to take more photographs for the second part of the three-part-comfort women project. In the sequel, Lee will appear as a comfort woman who becomes a geisha after the war.
!!!

first she apologizes and then she continues with more shots! Talk about a not so sincere apologise.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I can't believe that some of you have never heard of this nasty part of the Second World War in Asia. Furthermore, not only the Asian (most of them were Chinese and Koreans) women of the occupied regions had suffered from those sex maniacs. Some white women, especially the Dutch living in Indonesia at that time, were also forced to be the sex slaves of the Japanese army! :fero:

This sick idea was supposed to be a way to avoid mutiny and some diseases spreading in the army, just in case some of them might have raped some "not-so-clean" women during their aggressive acts. They wanted their "elites" to be "clean" and able to control themselves with their sexual needs satisfied.

As for Miss Lee and co, shame on her and serve her right. :rolleyes: How dare she rub salt on the wounds of other women who suffered so much half a century ago?! :yuck:

Unlike the Germans (anyone remembers Willy Brandt?), the Japanese government still owes the whole Asia an apology! We aren't even talking about money or compensation in any means, just something like "we are sorry for what we had done in other Asian countries in from mid-1930s to 1945". They are, however, still tellings lies in their history books, claiming that the rape of Nanjing and other masscares in Asia were some illusions plus there was no such "forced" sex slaves from occupied regions, and USA laid the atomic bombs in Hiroshima and Nagasaki for some "unknown" reasons! :mad:

What is even worse is that people in the generation who witnessed and/or experienced that horrible mass rape are dying... where is the justice?! :sob:

I don't blame or hate the Japanese people (except the racists and those who have lived to witness what happened but tell lies :yuck: ), especially those at my age or younger... they don't even know what really happened, except the atomic bombs... but their government... !!! :skull:

If any Japanese people is reading that and don't know what I'm talking about, I urge you to enlighten yourselves by reading some history books with some more actual facts, and start to think why the atomic bombs were only laid in Japan but not in China or Korea in 1945...

·
Nasty Woman
22,583 Posts
Shanie said:
I can't believe that some of you have never heard of this nasty part of the Second World War in Asia.
Maybe you misunderstood the posts before yours. None of us were unaware of the subject.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
From what I have understood, some of you might only have known what had been going on (some women were forced to be sex slaves of the Japanese army during WW2) after reading the article in Korea Herald.

I'm sorry.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts