Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
tsn....

(Jun 26) MILAN, Italy (AP) - Pierluigi Collina, the Italian referee known for his bald head almost as much as his high-quality officiating, will be chosen to oversee the World Cup final, an Italian sports newspaper reported Wednesday.

While FIFA will not make its official selection until Thursday, La Gazzetta dello Sport wrote that "there are no more doubts" as to which referee the organization that oversees international soccer will choose. Collina - who speaks Italian, Spanish, French and English - has been mentioned in connection with Sunday's final since early April, when FIFA General-Secretary Michel Zen-Ruffinen, a former referee himself, said he would be the ideal candidate for the match.

Among other games, Collina already officiated the highly anticipated Argentina-England match in the first round of this year's competition.

Gazzetta commented that choosing Collina would be of little consolation to Italians after the "grave errors" that other referees made in Italy's games.

After the Azzurri were eliminated by South Korea in the second round, Italian commentators suggested that their soccer federation should withdraw Collina from the World Cup in protest.

One possible hindrance in choosing Collina could be that he appeared in an advertisement for German sportswear manufacturer Adidas recently, Italian newspapers have said.

Germany, which is outfitted by Adidas, could meet Brazil, which wears Nike, in the final. Brazil played Turkey, which is sponsored by Adidas, in a semifinal Wednesday.

i think he is very worthy of refing the final...thoughts???

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
Great Choice !!!!!

The 42-year-old Italian refereed the 1999 European Cup final, the 1996 Olympic final and the England-Argentina first-round match at this tournament.

In 1996 at the USA Olimpics I saw him referee a couple of games in Miami, where I met him.. Great man .. ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Now its official:

Referees assignments for the third-place match and the Final:

29.06.2002 Korea Republic - Turkey 63 DAEGU Match for third place
Referee MANE Saad (KUW)
Assistant Referee 1 AL TRAIFI Ali (KSA)
Assistant Referee 2 VERGARA Hector (CAN)
Fourth Official RAMOS RIZO Felipe (MEX)

30.06.2002 Germany - Brazil 64 YOKOHAMA Final
Referee COLLINA Pierluigi (ITA)
Assistant Referee 1 LINDBERG Leif (SWE)
Assistant Referee 2 SHARP Philip (ENG)
Fourth Official DALLAS Hugh (SCO)

They could atleast have given the 3rd-place match to Anders Frisk!

/Blau

·
Registered
110 Posts
I forgot to say:

I was really surprised to see Collina in that commersial!

He is for sure one of the best, if not the best, referee out there, but I think your impartiality has to be the top priority. I am certain his decisions will NOT be effected by this - but being in a campaign with a few selected players - it just doesnt look good.

But again; its all about the $!

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Cool customer..:cool: Good choice.

But he is sometimes prone to Bad decisions, then again who is not. As FIFA would put it "they are also humans".;)

·
Registered
11,928 Posts
thakn god its collina
he doesnt make as much stupid mistakes as anyone else

·
Registered
15,555 Posts
A marvellous choice, of course you are gonna put the best ref in the world in the World Cup final (unless his own nation is playing) :cool:

·
Second Place Winner, December 2011 Photo Contest
94,487 Posts
King Italy said:
(unless his own nation is playing) :cool:
And that we have nothing to worry about, at least maybe in 2006 that might be a problem.. ;)

·
Registered
194 Posts
without doubt he is excellent referee in international stage
but I cant recall any match he refereed that Germany NT or german teams didnt lose:sob:

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
I believe he refereed Man Utd vs Bayern which Bayern lost

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Collina pride in Italian job Friday 28 June, 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Referee Pierluigi Collina has spoken of his pride in representing Italy in the World Cup Final on Sunday.

The Viareggio-based whistle blower will take charge of the Germany-Brazil Final after FIFA officially handed him the responsibility yesterday.

"I feel very honoured because a little piece of Italy will be involved in the World Cup Final. And I hope that the Italians are happy that their country is being represented in this very important match," said the 42-year-old.

"It is an indescribable feeling for me but I will look to keep my feet on the ground. My job is to do what is expected of me to the best of my capabilities. I and my assistants will look to give our very best."

Collina, widely regarded as the best referee in the world, went on to outline what will be his biggest problem in the Yokohama showdown.

"Football has reached a certain level and it is simply important that referees are ready to do what they have to do. The real problems for referees are not play acting or foul play, but trying to keep up with players¡¦ movements," he explained.

"The penalty box is a crucial area for an official because a mistake can be tolerated any where else on the field, but make an error of judgement in the box and that mistake will be replayed on TV a hundred times."

The match official also commented on what he likes to do once a game immediately ends.

"It¡¦s not easy to celebrate with the winners. I like to stay closer to the team that has lost. When you see players in tears I feel that it is right that you spend a moment to comfort them," he added.

"It happened in the Japan ¡V Turkey last 16 game. I simply told the Japanese players that they should be proud of what they achieved."

channel4 ;)

·
Registered
19 Posts
LOL

LET'S HOPE THAT HE DOES NOT SUFFER LAPSES IN JUDGEMENT, THAT THERE BE NO CLOSE CALL, THAT BRASIL WINS CONVINCINGLY, THAT TV FOOTBALL REPLAYS ARE PRE-EMPTED BY ITALIAN POLITICAL SCANDALS, THAT HE CAN BLAME THE ASSISTANTS, THAT ITALIAN AND SPANISH FANS DON'T WATCH.

·
Administrator
11,828 Posts
Blaugranadero said:
I forgot to say:

I was really surprised to see Collina in that commersial!

He is for sure one of the best, if not the best, referee out there, but I think your impartiality has to be the top priority. I am certain his decisions will NOT be effected by this - but being in a campaign with a few selected players - it just doesnt look good.

But again; its all about the $!
I am one of the extreme minority who is not a big fan of Collina.
Your point was mentioned by World Soccer magazine editor Gavin Hamilton too. Frisk should have been the choice. Too many Adidas commercials are good for one thing only: Money

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
You dont like Collina because of what
Because he appears for Adidas ads
He was already one of the candidates for the final, if Italy hadnt reached that far.
France, Argentina, Spain is adidas, guess what, they are out in the first
This is the most ridiculous conspiracy thoery i have ever heard.

I know what will happen now
If Brazil wins, they deserved it
If Germany wins, Germany and Collina belong to Adidas.

·
Registered
88 Posts
No surprise as Collina is the best referee in the world. I enjoy seen him in the serie A games, he is simply a class act.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Who was talking about a conspiracy? I know I wasnt!

I just dont think its appropriate as a ref to do ads for something within football that can be associated with certain players.

And, I would have liked to see Frisk getting some more games. But, Im Swedish - so theres another conspiracy for you...

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Whats wrong with a referee doing an ad for the company which makes their kits.
I dont think anythings the problem, and this will be the last thing which will be in the mind of the referee if he is fair.
About Frisk, he is also good, if not, one of the best, but you have to admit Collina is the best out there

1 - 20 of 27 Posts