Xtratime Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
XT Post Number King
111,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Collina gets World Cup call Wednesday 1 March, 2006

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Former referee Pierluigi Collina will be working at Germany 2006 – as a commentator for Italian television.

Collina, widely considered as the world’s best official, hung up his whistle at the start of this season following a conflict of interests row.

But the Viareggio-based whistle blower has now been asked to comment on the World Cup Finals for Sky television.

“I’ll look to be myself, to talk about what I have seen even if I won’t be passing comment on referees,” Collina stated.

“The fact that Sky specifically asked me to not talk about referees was the decisive factor in me accepting the proposal by Giovanni Bruno.

“My experience in the world of football gives me the possibility of talking about the game.

“I have spent many years working in the sport and I think I too have something important to say.”

Collina was expected to take up a senior role within the Italian referees’ association, but he concedes that his future may be on the box.

“For now, my experience with Sky is solely for the World Cup Finals,” he said. “However, you never know what will happen next.”

Collina has fond memories of the World Cup Finals after he took charge of Brazil’s victory over Germany four years ago.

channel4

·
Registered
423 Posts
Isn't he too old for that now or am I misreading something. He's crap now. He used to be my favourite referee untill his major blunder in allowing a Chelsea goal versus Barcelona that should have been dissallowed. How could he!? :cry:

·
Registered
9,938 Posts
He has been asked by Sky not to comment on referees therefore my interpretation is that UEFA recognise that if there is one man who can bring refs to the slaughter its Collina ;)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts