Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport3/worldcup2002/hi/other_news/newsid_2008000/2008343.stm

Italian referee Pierluigi Collina will referee the potentially volatile World Cup match between England and Argentina on 9 June.
Collina is widely regarded as the finest referee in the world and was voted referee of the tournament at Euro 2000.

The match promises to be the most attractive in Group F and could be a highly-charged encounter.

Previous World Cup clashes between the countries have been controversial.

David Beckham was sent off when the teams met in the second round of the 1998 competition after kicking out at Diego Simeone.

The Argentine midfielder recently admitted he deliberately over-reacted to get the England captain dismissed.

And in 1986 Argentine legend Diego Maradona infamously scored the 'hand of God' goal that helped his side to a 2-1 win over England.

Maradona later confessed he handled the ball and that it felt wonderful, like "stealing an Englishman's wallet".

Collina appears well-qualified to deal with any problems this time around.

He has been voted the best referee in the world four times and bookmakers have installed him as favourite to officiate in the World Cup final.

His bald head makes him one of the game's most recognisable figures and he is a celebrity in his own right in Italy.

The linesmen for the Group F match are Canada's Hector Vergara and Mohamed Saeed of the Maldives while Brian Hall of the United States was named fourth official.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Collina .... I was going to post a few weeks ago suggesting that he would be picked for this highly charged match. Man, he's the face of death, the grim reaper. Won't need a costume for halloween. Referees for Argentina games need to be carefully screened for bias. The Jackass who refereed the final in 90 was a part-time gynaecologist who claimed he was from Mexico but actually turned out to be from Uruguay and was getting Argentina back for the loss to Argentina 4 years earlier in his new adopted homeland.

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Some PPL wont agree with me saying this:D, but Collina is the best ref there is.

not because he doesnt make a mistake;) everyone does & thats life. But because he has guts to do what he thinks it's right, no matter the consecvencies. This season he awarded two penalies to Roma in the dying minutes of the game makinkg them run away with a point. Roma was chasing the title, & obviously this was an extremly contraversial thing to do. He did it because he believed that those were penalties, no matter the scurdge of the media later;)

He's the man on integrity & obvious first choice for "difficult" games.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Collina is a good choice, i hope he does his job..

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
i agree, collina is a good choice.

btw, the referee of the wc 90 final was roberto codesal. here in arg when you want to insult a referee you call him codesal (among other stronger words).

·
Star Player
2,961 Posts
batigold said:
here in arg when you want to insult a referee you call him codesal (among other stronger words).
That's a good one:D Anyway, I actually expected Collina to be chosen for this match...he usually is in charge of potential trouble-makers:)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Collina would be my choice. He's fair and unfailing. With him the better team wins and thats good news for Argentina. This is the most anticipated group match of all. BTW, today is the 20 year anniversary of the start of the Falkland war. Let there be sweet revenge. And I think the 7th or the day after is the 20 y anniversary of the sinking of the General Delgado (sic).

·
Registered
6,529 Posts
All things considered, Collina is the right choice. He's a tough no nonsense ref and that's exactly what we'll need on June 7th.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
But wasn't this expected. There are going to be lot of yellow cards if not a couple of red ones:D

Let the best team win. Although this time it seems it is Argentina.:dontcare:

bye

1 - 9 of 9 Posts