Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jude Law, Nicole Kidman .. civil war epic based on the book.

sounds good eh? :)

·
Second Place winner, October 2012 XT Photo Contest
3,938 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:
It's got Jude Law, good enough to make me sit through an entire episode of the Teletubbies if he's in it.

Nuff said. ;)
You know, he's quite handsome, but even that cannot make me sit through that freaky baby in the sun thing...

RIO

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
RIO said:
that freaky baby in the sun thing...
What's that? :confused:

I haven't watched a full episode of Teletubbies before, only snippets (their ads, scary eyes and annoying jingle are enough to keep me off), but looks like there are other grotesqueries besides the Flab Four. :D

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
The only reason I might watch this movie is because it was filmed in my native country, Romania....

It is a "love conquers all" movie - not really my style

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
Watched it today (with Jack Nicholson's Something's Gotta Give). Didn't feel superfluous nor overdone to me. :)

It isn't a love-conquers-all movie Gloryhunter, if that's what's put you off this movie. Unlike Titanic - the sinking of the ship was the backdrop and the love story the main plot; Cold Mountain is different - the Civil War and its horrific impact is much than simply being a mere setting for the love story between Ada and Inman. I didn't read any reviews about this movie prior to watching in nor did I read the book, but I enjoyed the treatment of the war more than that of the love story. Individual scenes struck me more than the story as a whole.

SPOILER

The movie jars your sensibilities in a lot of ways other than the brutality and irrationality of war - many of them to do with the rustic, unsophisticated lifestyle and the crude mannerisms of its characters. Cold Mountain has all the trappings of an epic - lush scenery, rolling landscapes, solid cast - but what struck me were the unadorned, down-to-earth scenes - Ruby plucking off the cockerel's head, the blind man roasting peanuts with his bare hands, etc.

My favourite scene was when Natalie Portman killed the kind soldier who wrapped his coat around her baby. A powerful reminder of the senselessness of war, and that usual expectations about morality are just thrown out of the window - good guys are not necessarily killed by bad guys, etc.

The ending was very predictable but I liked the part when Jude Law staggered and collapsed onto the snowy path, just like the vision that Nicole Kidman saw in the well.

Renee Zellweger shone in her role as Ruby, as did Natalie Portman, Brandon Gleeson and the man who played the blind man selling roasted nuts (fleeting role, but he made an impression). The supporting cast was excellent. :star:

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:
Watched it today (with Jack Nicholson's Something's Gotta Give). Didn't feel superfluous nor overdone to me. :)

It isn't a love-conquers-all movie Gloryhunter, if that's what's put you off this movie. Unlike Titanic - the sinking of the ship was the backdrop and the love story the main plot; Cold Mountain is different - the Civil War and its horrific impact is much than simply being a mere setting for the love story between Ada and Inman. I didn't read any reviews about this movie prior to watching in nor did I read the book, but I enjoyed the treatment of the war more than that of the love story. Individual scenes struck me more than the story as a whole.

SPOILER

The movie jars your sensibilities in a lot of ways other than the brutality and irrationality of war - many of them to do with the rustic, unsophisticated lifestyle and the crude mannerisms of its characters. Cold Mountain has all the trappings of an epic - lush scenery, rolling landscapes, solid cast - but what struck me were the unadorned, down-to-earth scenes - Ruby plucking off the cockerel's head, the blind man roasting peanuts with his bare hands, etc.

My favourite scene was when Natalie Portman killed the kind soldier who wrapped his coat around her baby. A powerful reminder of the senselessness of war, and that usual expectations about morality are just thrown out of the window - good guys are not necessarily killed by bad guys, etc.

The ending was very predictable but I liked the part when Jude Law staggered and collapsed onto the snowy path, just like the vision that Nicole Kidman saw in the well.

Renee Zellweger shone in her role as Ruby, as did Natalie Portman, Brandon Gleeson and the man who played the blind man selling roasted nuts (fleeting role, but he made an impression). The supporting cast was excellent. :star:
Alive, your movie analysis is great.
I'm more tempted to go watch it after reading your reviews which are better than the official trailer.

Natalie Portman is in it??? :heart: :drool: :nerd:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
GloryHunter said:
Natalie Portman is in it??? :heart: :drool: :nerd:
Yeah she is, but be warned, everyone has wild hair and greasy faces in the movie (except Nicole Kidman). :D

You're Romanian right? The landscape is beautiful :); I was there in 2002, but it was during winter.

·
Registered
6,804 Posts
Alive&Kicking said:
Yeah she is, but be warned, everyone has wild hair and greasy faces in the movie (except Nicole Kidman). :D

You're Romanian right? The landscape is beautiful :); I was there in 2002, but it was during winter.
You should go in the summer. Winters are miserable unless you go to a nice mountain resort.

In the summer you should go to Neptun or the Mamaia beach, you'll love it...! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,853 Posts
GloryHunter said:
You should go in the summer. Winters are miserable unless you go to a nice mountain resort.
Yeah I kinda figured out winters are a miserable time to travel, but three weeks of winter holidays are too long not to spend it travelling. :)
GloryHunter said:
In the summer you should go to Neptun or the Mamaia beach, you'll love it...! :thumbsup:
Heh, I'm not really a beach person, I prefer swimming in a pool cos I'm scared of fish :eek: ... which is why I keep putting off my diving course.

Anybody else besides me watched this movie??

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
I was supposed to go watch the movie about three weeks ago, but my friends didnt wanna go. They thought it was an "intellectual" type movie. My friends are more into "bam bam thank you ma'm" kinda movies ;).

·
Registered
12,570 Posts
Like most Americans anyway.
Did not see it cuz its the typical big sappy American novel with big actors and Oscar winning BS.
Sounds very boring from what I read.
Really dont know what to watch this Sunday, not too many movies out there, I might watch "In America".

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Saw the movie, but wasn't impressed much by it, except maybe by the recognizable supporting casts (trying to name the supporting casts added a bit of fun to it, I have to admit). Oh, and Renee Zellweger, too. She was great in this movie.
sHaHed said:
I was supposed to go watch the movie about three weeks ago, but my friends didnt wanna go. They thought it was an "intellectual" type movie. My friends are more into "bam bam thank you ma'm" kinda movies ;).
I wouldn't say that it's an "intellectual" type movie. It's more like, um, "war flick for the chick" kind of movie, I guess. I just don't think guys would enjoy it as much as the girls do.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts