Xtratime Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ROMANIA 0
PORTUGAL 1

A BORING GAME WHICH SHOWED THAT PORTUGAL HAS A LOT OF WORK TO DO IF THEY ARE SERIOUSLY GOING TO CONTEST ANYTHING!

Someone PLEASE explain this to me:

WHY DIDN'T COELHO START CONCEICAO FROM THE BEGINNING?

WHY DIDN'T HE BRING IN PAULETA INSTEAD OF SA PINTO? SA PINTO WAS HORRIBLE!

WAS THE INJURY TO XAVIER THAT SERIOUS THAT HE COULD NOT START? PLEASE GET SECRETARIO OUT OF THE FIELD! HE IS ABSOLUTELY CRAP!

oN A POSITIVE NOTE:

COUTO i MUST ADMIT WAS SOLID IN THE BACK. REALLY NEVER GAVE HIM ANY CREDIT BUT I GUESS HE PROVED ME WRONG.

AS FOR BENTO, WELL I THOUGHT HE WAS SOLID AND DID QUITE WELL.

MY BITC_:

THAT REFEREE FROM fRANCE WAS ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC! TOO MANY WHISTLES WHEN THERE WAS NO NEED FOR A WHISTLE AND WHEN HE NEEDED TO CALL A FOUL HE WAS NOWHERE TO BE FOUND.

[Edited by Ola on 17-06-2000 at 20:18]

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I agree Secretario has to go, he's definatly not national team material. Conceicao definatly needs to start, as soon as he came in he made a big difference on the right side.

But anyway, I'm gonna enjoy this, it wasn't our best game, but it's about damn time a last minute goal went our way.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I disagree.

How could you make changes to a team that played the way it did against england. I agreed with coelho's initial lineup.

sa pinto had a bad game,it happens but he is a better player than pauleta.

·
Registered
964 Posts
He should have started Conceicao at Right-back we know he can play there.
Is Sousa still injured?
We were giving the ball away and Sousa would have changed that.
Nuno Gomes would have scored right in the begining of the match , but the linesman was blind.Welldone Gomes you scored 4 goals already.
Figo was definetly tripped in the bov as well.
I dont know if SA Pinto had dived , but it also could have been a PK.
Portugal played crap , but they still beat Romania who played well but i guess we even from the 1 st match in the qualifier.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nuno Gomes is top scorer!

Nuno Gomes leads the way in Euro 2000 with 4 goals. Unfortunately for him, 3 of them were dissallowed by linesman who are too slow to realise the clever passing of Rui Costa & co.

We should of beat England 5:2 and Romania 2:0 but thanx to poor linesman we have to settle for what we have. I say bring in the technology ASAP cos imagine if that happens in the Final if we get their and Nuno scores in last minute but linesman wrongly says no. So far we have shown our class and won anyway!!!!! :)

So Nuno is avveraging 2 goals a game here! Look out Germany. FCP fans - lets hope Linke doesn't play :)

I think Capucho is more useful to bring on during a game thhan S. Conceicao. SC is excellent, but Capucho, in a 0-0 stalemate, can produce a piece of magic like FCP fans will know. He can score a goal from no where but Conceicao is just a winger, but still a good one at that.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I think coelho made the right decsions, i mean it was pratically the same line up as the england game but their were no complaints then, the poor performance was due to the players.
Xavier is not worth being risked if he is injured and if he was to birng on pauleta for gomes it wouldnt change anything because they are 2 strikers with the same characteristics.
I thought the costinha substitution was a stroke of genious not because of the goal but because we were playing so bad and if we could draw whatever happened in the england germany game we would only need a draw against germany.
If you lot were so desperate for conceicao to play why didnt you so say after the england game because coelho doesnt know how the players will play, conceicao can play right back but in my opinion drifts too far forward and never comes back enough.

·
International
5,629 Posts
Ola, your views are always taken with a grain of salt... but on challenging Coelho's strategy you cannot be further out out there...Why would you make unnecessary changes to a line-up that produced a spectacular result the game before??
Xavier was hurt that's why Secretario played, and I didn't think he was that bad, although certainly no Xavier.

It's easy to criticize after...and you do it well. But to say he should have started Conceicao, and brought in Pauleta instead of Sa Pinto is sheer lunacy. Portugal won the game against a very game and difficult opponent. In my eyes the second best team in this group...so I don't know what you are complaining about, especially since Coelho was the one that brought in Costinha for Rui Costa and he won the game!

How you can criticize a coach that has this team primed for the quarter-finals and playing well is beyond me. Sure Sa had a bad game, and if Humberto knew that beforehand just like you did?! he would have probably put in Pauleta or leave Nuno in...but you know Humberto is just not as wise as you! :D

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Red Eagle

No need to get personal with some childish sarcastic comment.
All I did was express my opinion, that's all. If you don't agree w/ it fine, but don't take a cheap shot at me.
For the record, I do want Portugal to win and I am extremely happy that Costinha scored the winning goal! However, I will continue to offer my opinions like or not!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts