Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
International
5,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm already loving the confidence that this man is bringing to Euro. Check out the attached article....

VIVA PORTUGAL!

Updated Wednesday May 31, 2000
Last chance for 'golden' boys

Once hailed as the 'Brazilians of Europe', Euro 2000 represents the last chance for some of the continent's most skillful players to prove themselves on the big international stage.
Names like Luis Figo, Rui Costa, Paulo Sousa and Joao Pinto may trip off the tongue like a who's who of major club football, but Portugal still only reached the finals as best runners-up from the qualification groups behind Romania, who they must now face again in Arnhem on June 17.
Coach Humberto Coelho has already been firing off the early shots in the war of minds, saying England's pre-tournament friendly performances have given him little cause for concern, and pin-pointing Alan Shearer as a diver.
His own team has also given him ground for optimism: 'We go with the aim of winning - I have complete confidence in my players,' he says. Indeed the former international defender's team selections would seem to support this confidence for he has fielded virtually the same team since taking over from Antonio Oliveira.
Portugal will be hoping to repeat the 3-0 thumping of Croatia in the group stage of Euro 96, rather than their tame quarter-final exit at the hands of eventual finalists the Czech Republic. Added incentive is that they will be desperate to enhance their reputation ahead of the next finals which they host in 2004.
This may be dependent on finding a cutting-edge attack to complement the creative genius that Coelho can boast in midfield, with much hope being pinned upon striker Nuno Gomes. Behind the Benfica youngster the coach has Lazio's Sergio Conceicao lining up with Costa of Fiorentina, Figo of Barcelona and Sousa of Inter Milan.
At the back, Conceicao's clubmate Fernando Couto and Porto's Jorge Costa provide a backbone of experience standing in front of Bobby Robson's favourite goalkeeper, Vitor Baia.
All of which adds up to a wealth of talent that will have most coaches at Euro 2000 gushing with praise, but with many players now either approaching or in their thirties it will be their final opportunity for glory. It will not have been a golden era for Portugal if they emerge from this tournament with nothing.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Fu(k "brazilians of Europe" we are the Portuguese of Europe and the Brazilians are the "Portuguese of South America".If Portugal had the population of Brazil we would be world champions each and every time.
If Brazil had a population of 10 mil people they would not have won the world cup 4times.
We are there ansestors(i think thats how you spell it)they learnt from us most of them are us not that i like the idea.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Its true though, this is the last chance for our golden boys. Some of them will be in the next WC but this is the best opportunity left for them to win anything.

------------------
SEMPRE VIOLA

·
Registered
6,948 Posts
I also agree…I am tired of being compared with other teams (Brazil). I am PORTUGUESE, and love the Portuguese national team. I don’t like the fact that Portugal is compared with Brazil. And like Paulo said, our country does well and we only have 10 or 11 million people. Imagine if we had 200 million.

I have nothing against Brazilians, but I hate being compared to them. I also hate when the Portuguese people celebrate Brazil’s victories. Hell no. I AM PORTUGUESE, and I am extremely proud of that.

FORCA PORTUGAL, were going to surprise and give a lesson to all the non-believers.

:eek: :eek: PORTUGAL PORTUGAL PORTUGAL :eek: :eek:

B

·
0 Posts
Damn right! Here in Boston the brazilians go crazy with flags out their windows when they win! I'm American and proud to be it but proud to be Luzo Azorean Portuguese!!! They are the Portuguese of South American that's the best quote i've heard all year!!! Fuk england they's a bunch of punks Viva Portugal !!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts