Xtratime Community banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Argentina coach resigned, i believe he did the right thing.

for the best of the national team.

hopefully now the next manager can GET US TO WORLD CUP, cos the way coco was going we were not gonna qualify.

How ironic, that another argentine coach Bielsa, Was the final nail in Basile coffin.

Basile had some bad games, but match against chile was THE worst.

Maybe not in terms of result, but performance wise, was like when colombia beat us 5-0...( i wonder who was manager, ha ha ha)

who 4 coach, id like to see Diego Simeone!!!!! or lavolpe!

Vamos Albicelestes!!!!!!!!!!

·
Second Place Winner, February 2013 XT Photo Conte
6,300 Posts
reuters.com said:
Soccer-Argentina coach Basile quits - media reports

Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:13am BST

BUENOS AIRES, Oct 16 (Reuters) - Argentina coach Alfio Basile quit on Thursday, the day after his team lost 1-0 to Chile in a 2010 World Cup qualifier, several local television networks reported.

Basile had been under increasing pressure following a series of poor results and performances. There was no immediate confirmation from the Argentina Football Association (AFA).

photo credits: yahoo sports​

He was appointed in July 2006 for his second stint in the job, having previously been in charge from 1991 to 1994.

Basile led Argentina to last year's Copa America final where they were beaten 3-0 by Brazil.

(Reporting by Brian Homewood; Editing by Greg Stutchbury)
dammage7 must have called the AFA overnight :eek::)

·
Administrator
30,898 Posts
Dunga is avaliable, please call him.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Batista is going to get the job by default nobody else is a realistic replacement, unless they hire a foreign coach, which I hope never happens

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
He resigned! I feel sorry for him but I am also glad that we finally got rid of his confusion!

Let us see how the new coach will do and hopefully more team play to be inserted in the NT instead of those moments of magic Basile's depended on most of his time!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Justice has been prevailed. Very good news indeed..........thanks Basile, I used to like you between 1991 - 1994, but now it's time for you to retire and enjoy your peaceful days..........you are a true gentlement.

Apparently Grondona was trying to convince him not to quit.......so next Grondona should also quit.....

Basile Quits As Argentina Coach
Alfio Basile quit as coach of Argentina on Thursday, a day after his team’s 1-0 loss to Chile in their 2010 World Cup qualifier.
The two-time World Champions crashed to their first defeat at the hands of their rivals in 35 years - another disappointing result in a below-par World Cup qualification campaign.

"Basile spoke to the president of AFA (Julio Grondona) and quit for personal reasons," Argentina Football Association (AFA) spokesman Ernesto Cherquis told reporters.

"The national teams committee tried to persuade him to postpone his decision but Basile was very decided, very determined (and) the resignation has been accepted."

Basile was appointed after the 2006 World Cup for his second spell in charge and led Argentina to the Copa America final in 2007, subsequently losing 3-0 to Brazil.

He has however come under-fire at home in recent months as Argentina have collected just 16 points from 10 qualification games.

Batista might have bigger chance to be the NT head coach.....but is there any other names? What about Batistuta........???

·
Registered
11,116 Posts
Batista has nominated himself for the position. Well, that is according to Goal.com so should be not so true.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Best news I heard in a while. I'm prety sad for Basile, because I thought he deserved a second chance but enough is enough.
Batista as head coach and Maradona as a glorified cheerleader beside him - that's the way to go. Hope the afa won't pull another Basile on us by appointing passarela or something like that.

·
Registered
248 Posts
A true Gentlemen indeed, Resigned before it got even worse. He knew his time had passed. Insted of trying in the world cup and fail miserably. He simply Resigned. All the best of luck to Basile in the futur. Hope he sits under the sun with a cold beer and enjoys his retirement. He served Futbol until he couldn't anymore. Walk out with ur head up high insted of in a bulls'ass ...

Time to change the AFA President now...
I hope it's a Batista that takes over. I like the idea of bringing youth to the system. Hopefuly thats what he will do. Gonzalo, Garay, Higuain... Give the boys a chance

Let them get used to each other for 2 years until the world cup comes along. Then they would be 22-23-24.. Perfect age and team chemistry

Sad to see a hall of famer leave on a dark day. But at least, he knew his time was up. Thank u Basile

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
31,893 Posts
Does Hector Cuper stand a chance.

I seriously think he is very good.

With International Experience too.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I would like to see Diego simeone
i think this man has the ability to get the best out of the players in thier positions.

however, i think batista will get it, i dont mind.

i just hope he doesnt go for Youth over the better players.
for example zabaleta over zanetti.......etc!!!!!!!!

thing about batista, i got a feelin he'll pay messi tevez upfront.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Good news indeed, i am sure 10 years from now these two years will be considered among the worst in the history of Argentina.

Basile almost did nothing, no trophy, not even one great match against a respectful rival, a 0-6 record against Brazil, first loss ever to Chile in an official (not friendly i mean) match....

·
Premium Member
22,583 Posts
Simeone or death!

·
Registered
93 Posts
Simeone or death!
**** Simeone, serously. He's good at using players (Veron, Ortega) when it fit him but the first chance he got, he put a knife in their backs. Just look at what a mess River is in right now.

He was also found out in the Libertadores last year.

1) Bianchi : NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN, next.
2) Batista: 4 years too soon :(
3) Russo: won the libertadores with Boca (well Riquelme won it for him but...) and is playing fantastic stuff with San Lorenzo this year, no European experience though. Don't know if he's good enough for the NT.
4) Pekerman: YES PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I don't think batista will change the argentine play drastically. As I saw the olympics, Argentina played slow and quite poor of ideas, just as many previous games with Basile, it was mostly Messi and a couple of brilliant ideas from Riquelme that won Argentina the gold, this togheter with Mascherano, Pareja and Garay playing solid in defence. Checo recembles coco very much in my opinion and he would not help Argentina do wonders as many of you want (no coach ever does actually).

On the list clarin has put down a couple of names pop out of the list. Maradona, Simeone, Bilardo and so on. Maradona would not be of great service because like most geniouses (exept Cruijff) they only stay geniouses on the football field, but not so much outside of it, a very large amount of players have failed at coaching despite beeing the best players ever known. I doubt maradonas skills as a tactician and as a leader, of the organizing part, not in the true meaning of leadership. A coach has to be VERY organizied and pay alot of attention to detailes in every aspect of the game, the training, the scouting and so on I don't think Maradona seems like that kind of a guy.

The best option is Simeone, he has shown a very good side of coaching in estudiantes and river and would do wonders with creative geniouses like Aguero, Messi, Zarate and the rest of the bunch.

I would vote for Simeone and second for Bianchi, my third choice would be Pekerman, whom I've always found brilliant (exept maybe the Germany match)

1 - 20 of 59 Posts