Xtratime Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Xtratime's Head of Humour 2007
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
goes to John Gregory, he reckons we need more English defenders like Chelsea because they know how to defend... :confused:

Mourinho's preferred back 4.........

Ferreira-Cavarlho-Terry-Gallas

Wenger's preferred back 4....

Lauren-Kolo-Campbell-Cole

Is it because Ash and Sol iz black ? :shades:

we need good defenders, the nationality is irrelevant.

·
Registered
11,208 Posts
Good thread :thumbsup: Please include Niall Quinn in that list as well. He said enough bollox in the Milan game to be up there with Gregory.

·
The Dude
4,448 Posts
Haroon said:
Good thread :thumbsup: Please include Niall Quinn in that list as well. He said enough bollox in the Milan game to be up there with Gregory.
Niall Quinn can say whatever he wants as far as I concern, he'll still be a hero in my books... :cool:

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
well, british defenders in general are hard bastards.. i would prefer a hard tackling, takes-no-prisoners, good understanding of the game british defender than most of our european counterparts who can read the game better

pearce/pallister/sol etc

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
*OZ* said:
well, british defenders in general are hard bastards.. i would prefer a hard tackling, takes-no-prisoners, good understanding of the game british defender than most of our european counterparts who can read the game better
what like Rio "never been booked in my life guv and let me get my head out of the way of this painful looking shot" Ferdinand ? :D

·
Registered
4,578 Posts
hes not ruff and gruff, but he makes up for it with his good distribution...personally, i would take a hard tackler over rio

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
*OZ* said:
hes not ruff and gruff, but he makes up for it with his good distribution...personally, i would take a hard tackler over rio
what like yip yap, the big Dutchman ??? exactly my point, cock of the month award goes to Gregory and OZ for backing him up, :shades:

the hardest dirtiest bastard in United's defence is an Argie these days.

anyway i'd love to know where people get this Rio good distribution from , he is ok on the ball but he never makes a telling pass, it is all pass the buck with him, another hype to the max.

·
Registered
13,621 Posts
i like the Argie, hes dirty and he gets the job done, unlike an english sissy that manc have, i would want an english defender, KING.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
I like English defenders e.g. Sol, Terry, Rio. They're a little bit slow, but immensely strong and have very good understanding where the ball flows. And like the analogy OZ excellently stated, they tends to 'take-no-prisoner'. Their job are simply to frustrate the opponents by smashing all the balls back to midfield. Personally, I myself am one of that type (I usually play as defender). It doesn't take great technique for them to do their job efficiently.

However, a European continental type defender is also necessary for a team. I mean a fast, quick defender with great instinct and technique to tackle the opposite player to stop and have the ball back to the team's control. In my opinion, a good CB partnership consists of that two different type players. And the most important thing, they must be hardworkers.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:
However, a European continental type defender is also necessary for a team. I mean a fast, quick defender with great instinct and technique to tackle the opposite player to stop and have the ball back to the team's control. In my opinion, a good CB partnership consists of that two different type players. And the most important thing, they must be hardworkers.
This is where Cygan is let down. He's a very Euro-esque centre back IMO, but he is just so slow. He has a wonderful ability to read the play to compensate for it, but so often his pace lets him down. Toure is okay enough but he's not the class centre back we need opposite Campbell - what we need is a Chivu or an Andrade.

I sincerely hope the board let's Arsene buy a world class centre back this summer, because next season will not be an improvement on this one if he doesn't. It should be top priority as far as I am concerned.

·
Registered
8,947 Posts
Totally correct. I agree with you. We desperately need to sign good and proven defenders and should be top priority. Since we have those great deal of amount transfer kitty, I don't mind if we splashed £15-20 millions for great potential ones like Chivu, Kompany, Andrade, etc.

As long as we have good defense, anything will come good to us. I mean, just take a look to our history, every people know that Arsenal in the beginning of '90 are not actually a proportionally good team, but it has one of the best defense partnership in Europe. And George Graham team still managed to win UEFA Winners Cup without great names in our midfielders and forwards.

·
Registered
25,902 Posts
The problem with going for Kompany is that, while he is very good and very young with bags of experience, his signature is so saught after. He will be wanted by Chelsea, Inter, Juventus, Barcelona, Manchester United and so on. So really, we'd have to pay way over the odds for a player who, while he may be highly rated, isn't tested at this level week in, week out. I'd rather go for experience, eg. Andrade or Chivu.

I think £10m would be enough to land us Andrade. Roma would want more for Chivu, and Chivu does have some injury concerns.

·
Banned
1,336 Posts
Zhuge Liang said:

......some people seriously do know so little

·
Registered
8,152 Posts
Zhuge Liang, Ledley King and Rio Ferdinand aregreat readers of the game, fast, composed on the ball and strong and not hacks at the back type CB's. King has had 3 yellow cards in something like 150 games which is a amazing stat for a centreback, Rio also doesn't get much bookings. Very allround footballing type CB's

·
63,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bobby Moore was English and Materazzi is Italian, it doesn't matter the nationality is the point, Gregory was putting on his little Englander hat and being a cock, i am proud to be English but it doesn't mean you should come out with bizarre logic to prove your theory.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts