Xtratime Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pardon my ignorance, but just why is it that Mexico or Mexican players appear to have a real problem with Cobi Jones?

·
Honorable Mention, February 2013 XT Photo Contest
21,026 Posts
I really don't know, but they don't like each other, I am not sure when or where it started, I think its great for the Chivas - LA rivalry

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
He getz under their skin. Cobi is a pest and a motha****a to da mexicants :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
please do not refer to the mexicans as Mexicants.

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
eugene said:
pardon my ignorance, but just why is it that Mexico or Mexican players appear to have a real problem with Cobi Jones?
I think its the hair. ;)

Actually Cobi has burned them with his speed over the years and that has been a thorn in their side. Then in the last WC they just wanted to foul him yet they couldnt so it frustrated them even more.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Che said:
Gary, in my mind he has every right to do this. For every "Mexicant" thing you'll see on Xtratime, you'll see a dozen "Bloody Yanks" or "Stupid American" comments that go entirely unpunished. Even by FMs! I'm just bothered that Americans are consistently abused yet if we make a questionable comment then it's straight to the blocks. I've been called a lot of things on XT and seen a lot of other Americans get insulted very snidely, and yet you don't see us calling Mexicans "XXXXXX" or "XXXXXXX" which are roughly equivelant to the rude comments we put up with.

If you want an example, follow any of Andy's various conversations on the World Football forum. He gets abuse all of the time, and it's frankly un-needed and insulting to all Americans on the board.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
yeah but Andy's a jerk-off who starts and joins in about two gazillion-billion-squillion arguments (99.99% about Juventus or English football) with the presumption that he's right, regardless of what's going on ;)

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Che said:
Actually this is more a play on the term Mixicant beat us at home rather than a racist or derogatory comment by JK. i see no more harm in this than ARSEnal or ManURE.that is used on a daily basis.I wouldnt be offended and Im sure most of us American Posters would not be upset if the Mexican supporters used the term Amerididnt or AmericanTs.

Isaac I agree with what point you are trying to make that there are other derogatory words used that if Jonny were refering to mexicans as a race would have done so, I just wouldnt have done so in a post, rather than refer to them in general, to make your point. :thumbsup:

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
PAULMAY said:
Isaac I agree with what point you are trying to make that there are other derogatory words used that if Jonny were refering to mexicans as a race would have done so, I just wouldnt have done so in a post, rather than refer to them in general, to make your point. :thumbsup:
Soz, Paul, I was just trying to make a point, and hoped to point out what could have been said as opposed to trying to offend anyone.

Back to topic, I can't really blame the Mexicans for disliking Cobi Jones - heck, I would too if I were them, I mean, did you see his celebration versus Chivas? :wallbang: I think anyone who celebrates like that deserves a bit of stick. However, nobody deserves a headbutt like he got versus Mexico in the 2002 World Cup game. Scary.

·
Premium Member
27,068 Posts
So if I take personal offense to this term and nobody else does than I'am wrong?

that's messed up!

·
Registered
4,325 Posts
Che said:
So if I take personal offense to this term and nobody else does than I'am wrong?

that's messed up!
No you can Im not happy that people use the name Blue Sh!tes when refering to Evertonians I live with it.We were just saying that its nothing personal But more in line with other not nice terms used to describe teams. Not a personal attack.

·
┌∩┐(◣_◢)┌&#874
14,769 Posts
Che! U r a good guy....U have an issue get a tissue...sorry

LIKE I GIVE A FOCK :nono:

·
Registered
4,844 Posts
Not being familiar with how offensive the term Mexicants can't be, I can't really comment. Isaac has a point about how this term perhaps can be seen along the line of saying 'stupid Americans', 'krauts' (for Germans), even to the more controversial 'frogs' debate of the French last time round. It's quite a thin ice sometimes what is derogatory, what is racist/discriminatory, and what is just plain bad language.

Nevertheless, seeing how others' remarks which are more 'grey areas' (FMs don't consider it serious enough to edit/report/make an issue of it) getting a pass, doesn't mean it you should also follow those 'bad examples' as per Politician's comment above.

If Che considers the term offensive, just like sometime a few months back we found out that in England a term is derogatory (and the XT-er using that term was Australian, where it meant totally different) - I think it's just the reasonable thing to do to refrain from using the term since it's more likely to be the result of ignorance and not something deliberate. So Johnny, I think rather than saying that you don't give a F - what's the harm of simply not using the term anymore? Is it that necessary and that impossible to simply not use it? I don't think so.

I think this is more of a misunderstanding in terms of usage of a term (eg Paul doesn't realize how offensive it is and comparing it to Football situation, which I am sure Che doesn't consider on the same level as nationalism).
So can we just respect each other and not use the term?

Thanks.

·
Banned
3,551 Posts
Nedved! said:
Not being familiar with how offensive the term Mexicants can't be, I can't really comment. Isaac has a point about how this term perhaps can be seen along the line of saying 'stupid Americans', 'krauts' (for Germans), even to the more controversial 'frogs' debate of the French last time round. It's quite a thin ice sometimes what is derogatory, what is racist/discriminatory, and what is just plain bad language.

Nevertheless, seeing how others' remarks which are more 'grey areas' (FMs don't consider it serious enough to edit/report/make an issue of it) getting a pass, doesn't mean it you should also follow those 'bad examples' as per Politician's comment above.

If Che considers the term offensive, just like sometime a few months back we found out that in England a term is derogatory (and the XT-er using that term was Australian, where it meant totally different) - I think it's just the reasonable thing to do to refrain from using the term since it's more likely to be the result of ignorance and not something deliberate. So Johnny, I think rather than saying that you don't give a F - what's the harm of simply not using the term anymore? Is it that necessary and that impossible to simply not use it? I don't think so.

I think this is more of a misunderstanding in terms of usage of a term (eg Paul doesn't realize how offensive it is and comparing it to Football situation, which I am sure Che doesn't consider on the same level as nationalism).
So can we just respect each other and not use the term?

Thanks.
Beautifully said, Neddie. Pass the bong. We all just gotta get along. Love, people, love. :heart: I'm going to USA - Mexico in Columbus next September, and I sure as hell won't be calling Mexicans derrogatory comments, and I should hope for the same in return. It's always going to be a heated rivalry - you don't expect the English and the Argentines to be huggin eachother at a match, do you? However, this doesn't mean we have to be rude to one another. Banter is to be expected, and I am sure this is all Jonny was meaning to do. Knowing several of the American posters from this board outside of XT (well, if AIM or MSN count as 'outside') And they're generally very positive people, not a hint of racism. Mexicans are not regarded badly, just as our most competitive foe, a hated enemy but never a hated race.

:heart:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts