Xtratime Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
C'mon mates ... we need this win bad! I'll be watching the game here in New York City ... sitting at the Spanish social club with my Aimar shirt on, cheering on the Che ... let's all just make sure we will a few goals in because this team desperately needs 'em ...
WE NEED THIS WIN ... what can we do to get it?

- Amunt Valencia

·
Registered
280 Posts
quoted from soccerage

Surprisingly enough, Las Palmas and Valencia have La Liga's best defences, together with Alaves. They will meet on Saturday to discover who's best and to forget last week's defeats against Deportivo and Valladolid, respectively.

Valencia suffered a major setback as they were beaten against all odds by a very active Valladolid side at the Mestalla last week. Their bid to land the Liga this year looks very compromised at this stage, with Real Madrid setting a pace quite hard to match.

Las Palmas' Fernando Vazquez said he feared Valencia more than other competitors. He described them as "very strong and well organized". He warned against any sort of complacency now that bottom clubs like Rayo are rallying, making the fight to avoid the drop even more complicated for everyone.

TEAM NEWS

Rafael Benitez' ongoing difference of opinions with Kily Gonzalez means that the Argentine winger is again overlooked and left on the sidelines. Want-away John Carew will also be sitting in front of the telly on Saturday night.

Albelda (flu) is facing a race against time to be ready for the long trip to Las Palmas. Gonzalo De Los Santos has been placed on 'stand-by' to cover his probable absence in midfield alongside Ruben Baraja.

The flu has also hit Francisco Javier Rufete and Mauricio Pellegrino, which are definitely out. Adrian Ilie did not recover on time after the Valladolid game and should also be sidelined.

Las Palmas welcome back former Spurs & Wolves midfielder Vinny Samways. The English midfielder returns from suspension, while Tomas Olias and Juan Carlos Socorro are both injured, as well as Luis Garcia Tevenet.

FORM GUIDE

Las Palmas (last five games): DWDWL
Mid-table anonymity is Las Palmas' ambition. It has been fulfilled for most of the season but bullish performance by Rayo and the rest means their seven-point cushion with the relegation zone are no luxury. Solid performances in the derby v Tenerife and against Mallorca hint Las Palmas are not to be taken lightly these days.

Valencia: WWWLL
The European vice-champions are currently 7th in La Liga, six points away from leaders Real Madrid. They are in a downward trend, after conceding two successive defeats. Last week's surprising result against Valladolid meant they could not close the gap on Real.

PROBABLES

Las Palmas: Nacho González; Angel, Schürrer, Sarasua, Paqui; Edu Alonso, Josico, Samways, Lago; Jorge, Rubén.

Valencia: Cañizares; Curro Torres, Ayala, Djukic, Carboni; Angulo, Baraja, De Los Santos, Vicente; Mista, Salva

SA PREDICTION

Las Palmas got themselves quite a reputation this year for bringing down big-name teams down. Valencia are aware of Real and Depor's defeat in the Canary Islands and should adapt themselves to the situation.

A draw seems probable here: 2-2.

The strange thing about this report is the part where autor said that Kily was sidelined (not on the list of the players for the match) again........ the truth is that Kily is not only on the list but is more likely considered to be a starter cos of ankle injury Vicente picked up yesterday............

Latest news are that Albelda is definitely out of the list cos of flu and Angloma jumped in instead.................

so the lineup should look something like this:

*****************Canizares***************************

**C.Torres****Ayala*********Djukic***********Carboni****

**Angulo*****Baraja*****Marchena(los Santos)**Kily(Vicente)*

****************Mista*******************************
*************************Salva***********************

Well, I would personally prefer to see Aimar as a starter again,cos he was benched for too long now......................

Amunti, you lucky one(being able to see the game while I'm stuck with the choice of watching Celta-R.soc.:stuckup: ), I hope that shirt is gonna bring us something to cheer about:jester:

and we'll be waiting for your matchreport after the game(if you can ofcouse):hopefull:

My prediction(yes we desperately need a win):
Las palmas- Valencia 1:2

Anyway, an interesting game in prospect:tongue: :tongue:

·
Registered
280 Posts
LAS PALMAS-VALENCIA 0:1:dielaugh: :dielaugh: :dielaugh:

(Mista 7min)

AMUNT VALENCIA !!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dielaugh: :excited: :happy:

GO GO CHE GO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:dielaugh: :excited: :happy:

Amunti,although I managed to see the game, still waiting for your report(if not I'll try to provide it later)

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Uggh

Unfortunately, the game wasn't on where I went ... the satellite dish didn't work ... so I didn't see the game!!! Next week, they play 3 games so we'll see ... very dissapointing ... - Amunti

·
Registered
280 Posts
Since it's a bit late for full matchreport(amunti, I wish you more luck next time) I'll just give couple of notes about the Saturday game.......

Well, after the game, I saw some comments like "lucky early goal and then sitback tactics for the rest of the game", but the truth is that we played a decent game and even dominated possession (controling the midfield) for certain periods during the game(the end of the first half and 10-15 min of the 2nd).........it's true though, that generally speaking they had more possession of the ball(especially last half an hour) and that there was more action around our box, but the fact is that they never got too dangerous for our defence................in the first half they had two half chances(two headers inside the box from Jorge and Schurrer-----handled well by Canizares) and a lot of crosses into the box(especially from very active Edu Alonso) which really didn't cause much trouble for us..............

Meanwhile,Valencia after scoring goal(beautiful goal from Mista and a very important one cos it stopped the beginning pressure from Las Palmas) made couple of dangerous counters(most of them included our left side Carboni-Kily-Aimar-Mista) but Kily and Aimar (they had our best chances)failed to score at the end.....first half ended with nice Baraja's freekick and great save by Gonzales.....................................

In the 2nd half they had 2 clear chances(again :rolleyes: headers from Schurrer and Ruben---first was cleared off the goalline by Kily and second was denied by great save from Canizares) and the rest of it was just rolling around the box with no real ability to break through defence..............................

Very,very important win for us at the end ,but (as I see it ) the real test is coming in the next three games (Athletic, Alaves, Celta).......I mean, so far Benitez has been relying on the counterattack tactics way to much and in these games we probably won't be able to play like that.......so,let's see what are we made of and what can we really produce.......despite the lost game vs. Valladolid I believe we can DO IT..................................

Goalie:
Canizares was my MOM, not because of WHAT he had to cope with, but THE WAY he handled it..........I mean the way he was goalkeeping ( and commanding defence) boosted confidence not only to the rest of the players, but the fans aswell.....real captain....just when I thought I can allow myself to think like(after his big mistakes vs.Malaga and Valladolid)"this is not the same Canizares from last year" he comes with the performance like this to shut me up.................

Defence:
Generally speaking they did their job very well, even if Djukic was complaining after the game for the comfort our players allowed themselves in this section.............but our obvious weakness(especially after set pieces ), was play in the air.......if there was not Canizares to pick up (and to save all those which he couldn't pick up) most of the crosses we could've been in big trouble considering the fact that our defenders were totally outplayed in the air..........is it the fact that we were missing Pellegrino(his hight) or is it the constant weakness(like somebody said before in this forum) this season I don't know.....................the strange thing is that we were excelent in that section,with almost the same players, last season......
Otherwise, both Torres and Carboni had a very good game(with no big mistakes),but if I have to choose the best defender, this time it goes to Djukic(it's nice to have such a reliable player on the bench).............

Midfield:
Baraja and los Santos were simply horrible(not defensively) in the 1st half with too many wrong passes and that's the main reason we couldn't control the midfield in that period.......they came back in the second ( and that was probably our best part of the game) playing great 15 min with our total control of the game but then again after their big chance(Schurrer) and due to some tactical changes we lost control of the midfield(loosing our attacking efficiency aswell) until the end of the game................
Angulo was quite isolated on the right during the entire game, while Kily and Aimar both played an excelent game........due some strange tactical changes Kily disappeared a little bit in last 25 min while our attack just vanished after Aimar got subbed by Sanchez.....Aimar once again proved that he is a "quick thinker" kind of a player and made few tricks which their defenders couldn't really follow:jester: :D .....................on the other hand, he's got to improve his finishing (his shot and final pass)and avoid unnecessary complicating around the box................................................

Attack:
Well,one man here(before Sanchez got in) but he was fighting upfront like we had 2 or 3 strikers..........if he just had managed to play in the 2nd half like in the first he would be definitely MOM.................positioning himself excelent(fighting with at least 2 defenders to get the right position), very mobile with a great sence for interchanging passes with other players......
plus beautiful goal......................excelent performance.........................

Big Head:
All the credits for lining up in front Aimar and Mista(instead of Salva).......
I was kinda suspicious cos I haven't seen so far Mista playing as a pure striker but as I said he did his job perfectly.......the only thing I would complain.........subs.........I mean after he subbed Angulo with Aurelio, for the rest of the game I tried to figure out our new formation, but I have to admit I couldn't..........cos nobody was really playing on the right after that with Carboni,Aurelio and Kily playing on the left flank.........I guess Kily was playing more in the middle but the problem was he vanished after that.
That was a formation with one more defender, but as a result we lost the midfield control we had from the beginning of the 2nd half..........

welcome back ibiza(even I'm the new one around here)

P.S. Momo, where are you?
Have you abandoned your children?:tongue:

·
MoMo
6,835 Posts
Nah, don't worry Daddy is back :tongue:

Originally posted by Plotinus :
I'll just give couple of notes about the Saturday game.......
All that and you call it a couple of notes? :D I'm not complaining though ;)

I saw the highlights of the game, great finish by Mista( Where is labas? :D he should've seen it ;) ) after nice build up play by Kily-Carboni and after that all I saw was chances for Las Palmas.. Canizares saved our butts, great saves ! And it's good to hear that Aimar did well :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts