Xtratime Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing I never understand about Italian football is who is responsible for buying the players.

Moggi seems to do the buying for Juve but does Cappello also have a say? and Moggi is an employee rather than the president isn't he?

What about Milan? .... and I don't really understand what happens at Inter with Moratti either :googly:

·
Registered
12,237 Posts
Using Juventus as example; Moggi is the general manager, responsible for buying new players. Capello may have requests but in general has little say; if Moggi decides a mega offer for Zambrotta is worth selling him, Capello can do nothing about it.

Juventus is a weird example though, because of the almost complete lack of profile their president has. In Inter, Roma and Fiorentina to name a few, the president takes a much more prolific part in all things.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
GT Blaugrana said:
What about Milan? .... and I don't really understand what happens at Inter with Moratti either :googly:
Nobody understands what happens at Inter with Moratti! :howler:

Moratti, when he was the president, was like a teenage girl out shopping: "Oooh, that's cute, I want one of those!" So he spent a fortune on a collection of star (in his opinion) players, but never had a team. Add to that his predilection for hiring the wrong coaches and for firing all of his coaches at the first sign of trouble, and you can see why Inter haven't won anything in 15 years. Moratti has stepped down as president, so the Interisti are waiting with bated breath to see if the usual clear-out happens during the summer. I hope the tradition continues: Milan have picked up a couple of pretty good players during Inter's bargain basement sales (Pirlo, Seedorf :D ).

As for Milan, Berlusconi has officially stepped down as president because of conflict of interest laws. ;) Galliani continues to run the club and he wouldn't do anything Berlusconi doesn't want anyway. Galliani buys and sells the players, but I have the impression Ancelotti has quite a bit of input. He pretty much forced Crespo on the club, and nobody is complaining about that after the CL games against Man Utd. Galliani does love those older players on free transfers.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
and Galliani has a conflict of interests too doesn't he? isn't he involved with the football assocciation?

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Galliani was elected president of the Lega by the other club presidents. Apparently that's not a conflict of interest in Italy. ;)

Better him than Moggi, I say. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts