Xtratime Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to compile as many football anthems as I can, for a website to be opened in the near future. If you could provide me with club songs, it would be much appreciated. If possible, I'd like them in the original language and English translation, though if a translation isn't possible, that's fine too - das kann ich selbst machen. Any club, any division is welcome - the more, the better! Post them here, or PM me with them. Thanks!

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
From your signature, so you are a Canadian with Chinese roots and are able to speak German...?.... ;) Perhaps of some Hungarian influx, according to the mentioning of Ujpest? Interesting. Perhaps I can dig something out for you and PM later....

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have no Chinese roots, I only work here...

To put it simply, I'm Austro-Hungarian - I have almost every blood, that existed in the k.u.k. borders. :)

·
Registered
6,738 Posts
Interesting - I hope to have you around more often in the future. ;)

As for the songs, well, you might know that there are hardly any official club songs in Austria (like e.g. Rangers' "simply the best" or Liverpool's "you'll never walk alone"), but lots of "unofficial" ones. I'll have a look if I can find some.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I know practically naught about Austrian football... :( I can name a few teams (Rapid, Sturm, Vorwaerts, GAK, etc), but I don't think I could name a player...

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
I can only offer the old First Vienna FC (oldest Austrian team, 6x champion, only 3rd division at the moment) anthem, as I already did here: http://www.xtratime.org/forum/showthread.php?p=2131691#post2131691

First Vienna FC-anthem (not really sung or even played these days, sadly):

"Drum auf! Ihr Brüder, hier die Hand!
Zum Zeichen bleibender Treue,
Dass der alte Ruhm, der so schmählich entschwand,
Sich stetig wachsend erneue!
Wollens zeigen dem Gegner, ob fern, ob hier,
Mit uns könnt ihr nimmermehr scherzen,
Wir tragen Blau-Gelb nicht als farbige Zier,
Wir tragen Blau-Gelb auch im Herzen!"

my poor attempt of an english translation:
"Come on! You Brothers, here's the hand!
To show the constant faith,
that the old fame, which passed so terribly,
will re-new and constantly grow!
Want to show the opponent, whether away, or here,
that you can't joke with us anymore,
we don't carry (wear) Blue-Yellow as colourful decoration,
we also carry Blue-Yellow in our hearts!"

[origin: post 1st world-war, late 1910s, as far as I know)
And a shock element at the end of the post, that Vorwärts Steyr-team you mentioned plays in the second last division (after going bankrupt a few times) nowadays.

·
Running a lax ship
17,525 Posts
squelch said:
Actually, I know practically naught about Austrian football...
Ugh, that shows in your listing. As in: go go mighty Austria Wien!

;)

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Alex: I know Austria Wien too...*shrug*

@MxPx: Second last? Ouch. So Vorwaerts are like, Austria's version of Dynamo Berlin, I guess...

·
Registered
10,150 Posts
squelch said:
@MxPx: Second last? Ouch. So Vorwaerts are like, Austria's version of Dynamo Berlin, I guess...
Well, Dynamo Berlin without the Stasi-history and extreme fan-base, so to day.
They even had to start in the lowest league (2. Klasse Ost Oberösterreich, as far as I can remember), but eventually won promotion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts