Xtratime Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After a 1:0 loss to Forest earlier today the Derby board have decided to sack Nigel Clough after nearly 5 years in charge. To me this is somewhat surprising, I know he has frustrated some fans but its still early in the season and its not like Derby are in deep trouble either. But after reading the club's statement, seems like they want something fresh, thinking Clough has taken them as far as he could and there is really no improvement in sight.

The main candidates so far seem to be Steve McLaren, Tony Pulis :)nervous:), McLeish

·
HEY, WHA' HAPPENED?
24,083 Posts
Hope Clough next goes to Leeds.

·
Registered
30,022 Posts
He's still not done a bad job considering he hardly has funds. I mean, Derby haven't exactly had the worst start to the season. Moves like this in the Championship are quite dramatic, they either result in outright plummeting down the leagues (Wolves) or shooting up (Palace).

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
They've been going nowhere for years though. How long has he been there with no sign of improvement, or even more worryingly, playing style?

·
Registered
30,022 Posts
Well whoever they appoint next has to be perfect, because sometimes rather mediocrity than going all the way down to League Two or worse non-league. How many clubs in Derby's position have we seen over the years plument? Cov, both Sheffield teams, Wolves, Portsmouth etc, etc.

All roughly of a same size, all due to financial or managerial pissing around. Anyway if they get Steve McClaren in, I think that's a good start. Given time, I think he could build them into a potential Premier League side. Hate to say it, but maybe even Tony Pubis would. At least the team would have a playing style. Cave man.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
I know what you mean, but for every club like those you mentioned there are also clubs running on tighter budgets with smaller attendances who have managed to get promoted. I'm not saying he did a bad job, but he didn't do a good job, and clearly something needs to change otherwise they'll have another season wasted potentially. There's just no excitement there I guess. A manager like Steve Bruce or Mick McCarthy would have taken them up, and I guess that's the thinking behind the Derby board's decision.

·
Registered
69,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good hire imo, he was always linked to Derby over the years because of his connections to the club, so it finally happened :D

·
Registered
69,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Also, hopefully he has an eye towards the foreign market, I know Derby don't have that many funds but they completely ignore players from abroad and try to get lucky with signings from the lower leagues or Scotland

·
Registered
30,022 Posts
Why is McClaren a bad appointment? He's had some bad breaks, but he's really not that bad a coach. He's only tarred with this brush because of the England experience.

He's got strong connections with Derby, was their assistant manager before he moved to United and played for them in the 80's. I think given the time he'll improve them. I know Forest didn't work out for him, but he was given what? Six games?

As for Mick McCarthy or Steve Bruce, well you could have said the same about Paul Jewell once, but that bombed after he took them down from bad work by Billy Davis. I know Forest fans adore Billy Davis, but I reckon if they ever got promoted he'd do an awful job of building a modern Prem squad.

·
Registered
38,223 Posts
^ What Cuneyt said. I was too lazy to type it when the announcement was made.

McClaren is a good coach, he's just very hard to like and is tarnished by his time as England manager.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Not been on for a while, but i'll throw my opinion in. The timing of cloughs sacking was the only surprise. agree with alot of what was already said, he'd basically taken us as far as he could, there was no great improvement season on season, it was the same thing year in year out. a tail of inconsistency, some games we'd look really good, others we're truly awful. some of it can be traced to the board, and lack of funds, and selling key players on deadline days havent helped at times. but clough himself, for me was tactically naive, never had a plan b, and had a habit of falling out with players.

the appointment of mclaren has been positively recieved, especially as the results have gone well too, its a good appointment for both parties, he's a top coach, and already popular here, so we're happy to overlook the the blemishes at england and forest.

also with the sale of the naming rights to pride park just goe through, you never knoe, might be some funds available in january, maybe a signing further afield than scotland as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts